Sponsored

GT Performance Package Brakes to Ecoboost?

Norritt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EcoBoost
Hi Friends,

First time, long time.

I recently purchased a 2016 EcoBoost premium and during a check from my local performance shop they noticed the rear rotors are a bit warped. The owner of the shop happened to be converting his 2015 GT Performance package into a drag car and due to the needs of a different brake set up, he offered me his GT brakes and rotors (they have about 2k miles on them) and installation for 200 bucks. Would that set up fit on a 2016 EcoBoost with 18" wheels? I do have a set of 20" wheels I am moving towards, so if it requires a bigger wheel I have that covered, I was just not sure if there were going to be any other issues. Should I ask for the fronts as well?

Thanks for any or all tips. Have a great New Year!
Sponsored

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
I may be wrong but I thought all rear brakes were the same until you get to the GT 350. The front GT PP brakes require at least a 19" wheel, but are light years better than the 12.6" rotors you have. The gt PP brakes are six piston with 15" rotors so yeah get the fronts too.

UserName

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 718 GT4
I second trying to get the fronts as well. The PP brakes are darn good and that’s several thousand worth of parts. Sounds like a steal.

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 premium mustang gt black accent package
Do you actually notice any vibrations from the rear or anything that would indicate they are actually warped. Seems kind of convenient that your rear rotors would be warped and the guy just has some. On that note I would imagine your front rotors would warp before the rear. From my personal experience the brakes on the fronts wear a lot faster than the rear.

Also as mentioned the rears are the exact same for all mustang GT and EcoBoost models. If you’re actually going to do anything I would recommend verifying if the rotors are actually warped and if so you only need the rear rotors and maybe pads if yours are bad but then again there’s better brake pads out there than used oem pads if you actually need them. There’s no need to be unnecessarily removing the rear caliper just to basically put the same one in though. Fronts are the ones you’ll definetly want to upgrade to though.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
The rear brakes and rotors can be sourced for about $80. You may need the corresponding lines. Definitely get the fronts (offer him say $500 and see if he'll go for it) but you will need 19" or bigger rims and matching brake lines.

Sponsored

rlyons13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Convertible w/ 50th Anniversary Pack
I have converted to the Brembo front brakes and corresponding rear brakes on my Ecoboost. The stock Ecoboost rear rotors are pancake rotors. The upgrades are vented. They are approximately the same size (the rotors were very slightly different in diameter, could have been production differences). The calipers are also slightly different, with the upgrades being a touch wider if memory serves. Also, if memory serves, the lines were the same, but I used the ones that came with the takeoff calipers. So, IMHO, thew vented rotors make the changeover worth it.

Dave TBG

Patiently waiting...
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 EB 201A, '86 Porsche 944
I may be wrong but I thought all rear brakes were the same until you get to the GT 350.
Also as mentioned the rears are the exact same for all mustang GT and EcoBoost models.
Both are incorrect. This seems to be a common error and it screwed me up when I did my brake upgrade. Fortunately I'd already purchased all the parts, but thinking I wouldn't need the rear calipers I didn't have them ready to go when the time came.
I have converted to the Brembo front brakes and corresponding rear brakes on my Ecoboost. The stock Ecoboost rear rotors are pancake rotors. The upgrades are vented. They are approximately the same size (the rotors were very slightly different in diameter, could have been production differences). The calipers are also slightly different, with the upgrades being a touch wider if memory serves. Also, if memory serves, the lines were the same, but I used the ones that came with the takeoff calipers. So, IMHO, thew vented rotors make the changeover worth it.
This is correct, the V6 and base EB use a solid rear rotor. The EBPP and all GTs use a vented rear rotor. The diameter is the same but the calipers for the solid rotors aren't wide enough to clear the vented rotors.

OP
OP
Norritt

Norritt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EcoBoost

rlyons13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
First off - thank you for the help

Ok - so now that I have purchased both the front and the rear GT Performance Pack brakes - what if any additional mounting hardware will I need? Will the Stock EcoBoost bolts be OK? or do I need new hardware?

Anything from here https://www.tascaparts.com/auto-par...0l-v8-gas-engine/brakes-cat/front-brakes-scat or here I might need? https://www.tascaparts.com/auto-par...-0l-v8-gas-engine/brakes-cat/rear-brakes-scat
When I did it, I just bolted everything to the car with the existing hardware. I should mention I got the calipers with the flex lines attached. I believe the rear flex lines are the same, but the fronts may be different.

Dave TBG

Patiently waiting...
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 EB 201A, '86 Porsche 944
I reused my original bolts, but I only upgraded to the 4 piston front brakes so i can't comment on the 6 piston calipers. The rears will use the same bolts.

Sponsored

ihasnostang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Saturn ion, 2019 201A, EB PP1, Ruby Red
what goes into swapping brake fluid? is it different than just bleeding them since you dont really want to mix types?

sam97mt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT/CS
what goes into swapping brake fluid? is it different than just bleeding them since you dont really want to mix types?
You can't bleed brakes with abs modulator as you would a system without. That device cannot be allowed to be dry. If it goes dry you may need to put the system into a special mode to allow it to be bleed properly.

So ideally. While swapping the calipers, do it quickly to avoid losing fluid. Swap them all out first. Ideally you lose the fluid in the line only, not the abs module.
Then suck out as much fluid out of the reservoir as possible, fill your new fluid and bleed as normal but with the engine on. Keep topping off new fluid as it runs down. Keep an eye on it though, you don't want it to go dry and with an empty caliper it could easily.

rlyons13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
You can't bleed brakes with abs modulator as you would a system without. That device cannot be allowed to be dry. If it goes dry you may need to put the system into a special mode to allow it to be bleed properly.

So ideally. While swapping the calipers, do it quickly to avoid losing fluid. Swap them all out first. Ideally you lose the fluid in the line only, not the abs module.
Then suck out as much fluid out of the reservoir as possible, fill your new fluid and bleed as normal but with the engine on. Keep topping off new fluid as it runs down. Keep an eye on it though, you don't want it to go dry and with an empty caliper it could easily.
Never did any of that, just bled the system as I've bled every car I ever owned. When I change each line/caliper, I pull fluid through. Then when complete, do passenger rear, driver's rear, passenger front, driver's front. I may use more fluid than necessary, but never had a spongy system.

Ethanwalz11

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ecoboost Premium Fastback
First off - thank you for the help

Ok - so now that I have purchased both the front and the rear GT Performance Pack brakes - what if any additional mounting hardware will I need? Will the Stock EcoBoost bolts be OK? or do I need new hardware?

Anything from here https://www.tascaparts.com/auto-par...0l-v8-gas-engine/brakes-cat/front-brakes-scat or here I might need? https://www.tascaparts.com/auto-par...-0l-v8-gas-engine/brakes-cat/rear-brakes-scat
where did you find them?

ihasnostang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Saturn ion, 2019 201A, EB PP1, Ruby Red