Sponsored

The Harbor Freight Tool Review Thread!

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Maybe the title is a bit pretentious, but I didn't find one on here, and I figured we could review what we've bought and if it's junk or not. I know HF has their own reviews, but they are vested in weeding out bad ones, I've had a few bad ones not get posted. I hope this thread doesn't turn into a Snap On vs HF comparison. I think most HF shoppers know they are not buying the best stuff, but the question is "will it work for the average guy/gal". Sometimes you find a gem, and other times a turd.

For ease of finding, may I suggest a format like:

Item Description:
Item link:
Item number:
Price paid:
0/10 score:
Longer Review:

Also, in case y'all don't know there is a great HF android app where people scan in coupons. It works great and the cashiers take them without any quibbles. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.g2018.hfcoupons&hl=en_US
And there is also a web page that has coupons and price changes as well: https://www.hfqpdb.com/

I'll start. I'll add more as I look up the tools I have from them.

Item Description: 215 Lumen Magnetic Pocket Work Light
Item Link: https://www.harborfreight.com/215-Lumen-Magnetic-Pocket-Work-Light-63935.html
Item number: 63935
Price paid: $3.99 on black friday sale
0/10 score: 7
Longer Review: It's a great flashlight for $4. It's pretty bright, and the 3 crappy AA batteries that came with it have lasted over 8 hours on the highest setting. I've dropped one in a bucket of water, and used the same one as a hammer, and it won't die. The magnet isn't very powerful and the darn thing rolls around only stopped by the little clip on the side. Why someone can't make a square flashlight is beyond me. I'm glad I bought 4 of them.

Item Description:33 Oz. LVLP General Purpose Air Spray Gun
Item link: https://www.harborfreight.com/33-oz...ray-gun-60612.html?_br_psugg_q=lvlp+spray+gun
Item number: There are two, I've tried both: 61455 and 60612
Price paid: $20 before the 20% off coupon
0/10 score: 0
Longer Review: This thing has great reviews on HF, but for the life of me, I could not get a consistent, good spray pattern out of it shooting latex, The latex was filtered through a #100 filter, thinned with flood, and latex thinned with flood and water. (This is LVLP and supposedly shoots Latex fine) I tried it with the stock tip, and I tried drilling the tip out to a size specified in the manual for shooting latex. Work piece was prepped properly, used behind a 30 gallon Craftsman air compressor, regulated at the gun, and with a moisture filter. I screwed around with it for about half an hour and was able to get a decent pattern. I immediately took it apart to completely wash it afterward. 2 hours later, when it was time to re-coat, as soon as I put it back together the brass collar on the pintle valve broke. I went to HF and exchanged it for a different SKU one. The other SKU one was slightly different, but this one was even worse, I flat out couldn't get a good spray out of it. I ended up using a Cambell Hausfeld HVLP sprayer (Didn't do anything to the paint that was already filtered, diluted with flood and water). Took all of 1 minute to get the spray dialed in and produced a fantastic spray.
Sponsored

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I have the US General 72" tool box from HF and it has been superb.

All my basic hand tools (sockets, wrenches, screwdrivers, etc, etc) are Snap-On or Mac for the most part, but I couldn't swallow the price of a Snap-On 72". And when you're not making a living out of it, that can make all the difference in the world.
MaOwS6YwTNCsNBfo+Ovhvg.jpg

Thundersteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS Convertible
^^^^I agree on their US General tool boxes. They are built MUCH better than similar ones you'll find at Sears, Lowes & Home Depot. They're heavy, not flimsy, and are made using double-walled steel.

OP
OP
CrashOverride

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I agree, I have a smaller tool cabinet and just picked up a 4-door tech cart for a song. The harbor freight by me looses the keys and then puts them on clearance for half off. Like I told the cashier, that's what drill bits are for. (The lock cylinders are not hardened metal like you might think).

And man that garage is sexy.

I picked up a stubby air ratchet and right angle air drill a few days ago in preparation for fixing broken exhaust studs on my truck.

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 1999 Ranger
Agreed, that garage is the shit. Hopefully one day I'll be able to get mine looking that nice, but, wish in one hand and shit in the other and see which one fills up faster.

As far as HF tools, I've bought a few randon tools. Picked up a machete for $5. The cashier looked at me said what do you need that for. I told her I was a land surveyor and needed it to cut brush. Truth is I am a land surveyor, but for $5, no eay am I passing up the chance to buy a machete. Turns out, it's marginal at best. So there's my HF review, to stay on tipic.

Sponsored

OP
OP
CrashOverride

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
So today's review is for the Tailpipe expander
https://www.harborfreight.com/large-tail-pipe-expander-63704.html?_br_psugg_q=exhaust+pipe+expander

I bought it a long time ago for two different things. I used it as a way to expand inside the splines of a transmission to set the gear backlash (Using turning torque as specified in the manual for that trans). It worked fine for that and was worth whatever I paid for it.

But for actually expanding exhaust tubing, forget about it. The threads are not strong enough to expand the blocks at the end, it just strips out the bolts on the ends. And that is after the "pusher" pieces crack in half because they are cast aluminum.

Overall, for it's intended use, it is absolute garbage. 0/10.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I have one of HF's low-profile, long-reach steel floor jacks and it's been great for a couple of years now. Nice for lowered cars. The only caveat is that it's a beast, and you won't be carrying it around - if you need to move it beyond it's wheels you better have help or a 2-wheel cart.

I also have a pair of their 12-ton jack stands, zero complaints there also.

I almost bought one of their tool boxes a few years ago when I was on the hunt, they're nicely made. I bought a 54" Husky instead (top and bottom roller) that fit my wants/space/needs better, but I'd have no qualms about getting a HF unit.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
I've got a low-profile jack as well, no issues with it so far and I have to carry it from my apartment to the parking lot using the handle, it isn't too terrible but I'm happy it isn't a long walk!

Have the heat gun too and it served it's purpose well enough.

Only used the DA polisher twice and no issues there either.

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Thanks for comments on the garage guys. And don’t sell yourself short. It’s pretty inexpensive. The only expensive part was the floor.
Forgot to add I also have three jacks from HF. The Pittsburg light weight aluminum ones. Have two 1 1/2 ton jacks and one three ton. They too have been flawless. Don’t know how they’d hold up if you had to make a living with them every day, but for what I do...

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 1999 Ranger
Good to know about the jacks. I have a jack, but the handle seems to have disappeared. Where the hell it went to, I have no idea. But, the jack is in need of replacement anyways, so I'll wait for a coupon and go snag one.

Sponsored

Matco

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 2018 Mustang GT 1996 Ford Bronco
I have the US General 72" tool box from HF and it has been superb.

All my basic hand tools (sockets, wrenches, screwdrivers, etc, etc) are Snap-On or Mac for the most part, but I couldn't swallow the price of a Snap-On 72". And when you're not making a living out of it, that can make all the difference in the world.
MaOwS6YwTNCsNBfo+Ovhvg.jpg
I got that same box at my local harbor freight, which happens to be a distribution center, at one of their parking lot sales it was on a pallet and marked on sale from $1200 down to $1000 but then was under the scratch and dent section for 50% off nothing was wrong with it except it looks like it was dropped on the lower back corner. Still functions 100% normal and you cant see the dent on the back side. Wasn't really looking for a new box but for $500 I couldnt pass it up. Quality is way better than my shitty craftsman box

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Harbor Freight Tools
1) 3 ton regular steel jack (It's been used and abused and is still going strong. No problems after several years of hard use)
2) 3 ton low-profile steel jack (This one is a few years newer, but holding up great so far. The regular jack won't fit underneath the Mustang, but this works flawlessly with Steeda's jacking rails
3) Extendable ratchet (1/4 and 3/8 dual drive) (I've only had it for a few weeks. It's been good so far, but a little weird at first because it's a dual drive)
4) 1/2 inch composite ratchet (still going strong)
5) 3/8 inch composite ratchet (still going strong, but piece of handle was cut off on a bumper install for the Jeep. Tool still works just fine though)
6) Ratcheting wrench set (no issues, works as intended)
7) Chicago Electric Random Orbital Sander (used and abused and really dirty, but still powers through. No issues sanding after several hard years)
8) Chicago Electric Corded Sawzall (used and abused, no problems)

I've got many more tools from Harbor Freight and they have all held up great except 1 tool
1) Maddox Ball Joint Service Kit (Used one time and it broke. This tool isn't covered under lifetime warranty. Ended up buying the Master Ball Joint kit made by PowerBuilt and it has served me well several times!)

For a DIY mechanic that only works on his own cars, I would recommend Harbor Freight for just about anything.

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I got that same box at my local harbor freight, which happens to be a distribution center, at one of their parking lot sales it was on a pallet and marked on sale from $1200 down to $1000 but then was under the scratch and dent section for 50% off nothing was wrong with it except it looks like it was dropped on the lower back corner. Still functions 100% normal and you cant see the dent on the back side. Wasn't really looking for a new box but for $500 I couldnt pass it up. Quality is way better than my shitty craftsman box
WHAAAAATTTT??? 50% off. You lucky dog you!! Dang dude, this box for $500 is the steal of the century. But yea, the quality of this guy blows Craftsman out of the water. I hit mine on a couple of coupon/combo sales that you really gotta watch for (cause they'll exclude tool storage) and was out the door for $900ish.

Matco

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 2018 Mustang GT 1996 Ford Bronco
WHAAAAATTTT??? 50% off. You lucky dog you!! Dang dude, this box for $500 is the steal of the century. But yea, the quality of this guy blows Craftsman out of the water. I hit mine on a couple of coupon/combo sales that you really gotta watch for (cause they'll exclude tool storage) and was out the door for $900ish.
yea when I saw it marked down that low I said I'm not leaving without it, I was even in my mustang cause I need to get a something small but said hang on ill be right back, went home grabbed the truck and they even loaded it in the back with the forklift for me. Living so close to the distribution hub for what I can assume is the west coast its crazy to see all the returns and supposed defective items that they just throw away in dumpsters, they have 24 hour security just to watch the dumpsters and stuff on site for that reason, just the other day I watch them throw generators and welders in the trash because they were returned, they said after they are returned and if they sit for more than 30 days they cant resell them. I so wanted to dig thru that dumpster...

OP
OP
CrashOverride

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I have an older Pittsburgh 21 piece 6-point socket set. The laser engraved set. The ratchet is junk, but the sockets are nice. The laser engraving is wearing off though. Next time I buy sockets, I'm buying the ones with the sizes stamped in them. It's sad because HF no longer sells shallow depth 6-point 3/8" sockets, unless you buy into their Icon stuff. Deep wells are still 6-point, but I use shallow more often.

I have the Chicago Electric belt sander. I don't have a name brand to compare it to, but I don't think it is that great. It is easily the loudest tool I own - One of the few that I always wear hearing protection for. The belt often slides around and chews into the plastic sides, and the unlatch mechanism is pretty rough. I'd probably avoid it.

The Pittsburgh grey plastic creeper is pretty nice. I am not the thinnest guy in the world, but I can lay on it and slide all around with ease. I also have enough height when my car is up on my set of QuickJacks (Which I absolutely love).

I have the Pittsburgh Pro compression tester tool, which is pretty nice. The numbers seem low (Hopefully) or my truck has rings more worn than I hoped. I borrowed a colleagues Matco to check it against, but I haven't had a chance yet to test it. But, if you subscribe to the "absolute numbers don't matter and it's only the per-cylinder differences" then it's good for that.

I have their HVAC AC Compressor line set, and it is really nice. I definitely recommend it.

I have their cheap tap & die sets (Carbon steel) and they are mostly junk. That and their drill bits are junk. It's hard to get a good set that isn't expensive because to make good cutting tools, there is no way around using expensive/high-quality materials.

I've had various amounts of luck with the gear pullers. Sometimes they work fine, and sometimes they don't. For the price, I'd buy them again just to (maybe) avoid a trip to Autozone to get a better set on rental.

The ball joint separator I've had also broke like above. I bought a gear wrench one and broke that one too, but they replaced it, and I haven't had a problem with the replacement.

That's all I can think of today!
Sponsored