Sponsored

Front tyres scrubbed on the inside

MaxQ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White 5.0 GT
Front tyres scrubbed on inside shoulder, anyone else suffered from the same wear?

I was keeping an eye on the wear as the tyres were getting close to the wear bars.

Tyres looked ok from the outside but when I took them off to check the brake pad wear I discovered a near disaster,

Fitted new tyres and had the wheel alignment checked, results came back saying front alignment was within spec. they did however adjust them to compensate for the wear ,so keeping a closer eye on them now, so far all good.
IMG_0083.JPG
IMG_0084.JPG
Sponsored

Bernborough

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bernie
Vehicle(s)
Ingot GT Fastback Auto
Front tyres scrubbed on inside shoulder, anyone else suffered from the same wear?

I was keeping an eye on the wear as the tyres were getting close to the wear bars.

Tyres looked ok from the outside but when I took them off to check the brake pad wear I discovered a near disaster,

Fitted new tyres and had the wheel alignment checked, results came back saying front alignment was within spec. they did however adjust them to compensate for the wear ,so keeping a closer eye on them now, so far all good.
IMG_0083.JPG
IMG_0084.JPG
MaxQ - Thanks for the heads up! I have just checked mine and paid attention to the inside shoulder. They are ok with fairly even wear across the tyre. Mine have about 33,000kms. How many km's were on yours?
Cheers, Bernie

OP
OP
MaxQ

MaxQ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White 5.0 GT
MaxQ - Thanks for the heads up! I have just checked mine and paid attention to the inside shoulder. They are ok with fairly even wear across the tyre. Mine have about 33,000kms. How many km's were on yours?
Cheers, Bernie
Hi Bernie,
i think they had around 40,000km Michelin Pilot sport 3,
i have pilot sport 4s front and rears now,
Graham

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Holllly Cow glad you caught that! Without wishing to tell you how to suck eggs it's probably worth going to a dealer if the car is in warranty, or known suspension place, and asking them to check you don't have worn components causing you to toe out all the time. Some tyres places won't check for this before doing an alignment, and some tyre shop alignments are just plain ordinary anyway.

The fact that it happened on both sides (equally?) suggests alignment to me.

You don't have lowered springs by any chance?

Keep an eye on the new ones, if there's an issue the tell tale signs will show up very quickly.

OP
OP
MaxQ

MaxQ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White 5.0 GT
Car is not lowered and has stock suspension,
there is another post on the US forum for similar wear issue, below was one reply,
so i will be keeping a close watch on the wear from now on.
=====================================================
BmacIL,

New In short, the factory specs suck, and have such a wide margin for "green" that you can end up with a pretty crappy alignment still. If you have your alignment sheet, post it up.

For a street (little to no track use) car, one should look for the following alignment:

Front
Camber: -1.5 +/- 0.1 deg
Toe: 0.00-0.05 deg per side, steer ahead 0.00

Rear
Camber: -1.2 +/- 0.1 deg
Toe: 0.10-0.12 deg per side, thrust angle 0.00

Sponsored

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
I did see that post by BmacIL, how do they compare to your specs? Did the tyre place give you a print?

OP
OP
MaxQ

MaxQ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White 5.0 GT
I did see that post by BmacIL, how do they compare to your specs? Did the tyre place give you a print?
Unfortunately I did not get a printout, I,m due for some rears soon so will get a 4 wheel alignment done, and have the printout, also will take BmacIL,s figures to the tyre shop as well.
Sponsored