Sponsored

Wildfires - I hope y'all are safe...

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Hey y'all, I'm kind of surprised I didn't see anything on M6G about the wildfires y'all are having. I live on the US West coast and am no stranger to wildfires, I had scorched ground about 100 yards from my house and was under mandatory evacuation. So I kind of know what you are going through. I know there isn't a lot I can do to help y'all, but wanted you to know I'm praying for you and your country. I hope you, your families, your nation, and your first responders beat this fire season safely. Hopefully y'all get some rain. If your terrain is like ours, you only want light rain, because the ground won't soak it up and then you get mudslides...

Is your climate similar to the west coast where in the summer (Your summer is right now, I know that) you get almost no rain?

I use some Australian software (The company is out of Sydney) that is the best of it's kind. Every August (Our summer) the company has a conference here. The first day is about surfing. Y'all have a great work/life balance and I love to hang out with the staff after the conference at the end of the day.
Sponsored

Friend of Dorothy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Twister Orange 2020 FN GT
Hey y'all, I'm kind of surprised I didn't see anything on M6G about the wildfires y'all are having. I live on the US West coast and am no stranger to wildfires, I had scorched ground about 100 yards from my house and was under mandatory evacuation. So I kind of know what you are going through. I know there isn't a lot I can do to help y'all, but wanted you to know I'm praying for you and your country. I hope you, your families, your nation, and your first responders beat this fire season safely. Hopefully y'all get some rain. If your terrain is like ours, you only want light rain, because the ground won't soak it up and then you get mudslides...

Is your climate similar to the west coast where in the summer (Your summer is right now, I know that) you get almost no rain?

I use some Australian software (The company is out of Sydney) that is the best of it's kind. Every August (Our summer) the company has a conference here. The first day is about surfing. Y'all have a great work/life balance and I love to hang out with the staff after the conference at the end of the day.

Good on you @CrashOverride for showing concern.

Fortunately the fires haven’t impacted very heavily populated areas so far. The death toll has thankfully been remarkably low, the loss of wildlife and livestock has been particularly tragic.

Down here in Victoria we don’t usually see many rainy summer days, but it can rain heavily if it does. The light rain we are currently experiencing is hindering back burning apparently.

Many firefighters from North America are here to help, good on them too.

OP
OP
CrashOverride

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Thanks mate, the scale of the fires is hard to comprehend. The meme below is way out of date even though it’s maybe a week old.
Wow that is just incredible (bad). I think when it gets this bad, the only thing that will put it out is weather, or running out of fuel to burn.

OP
OP
CrashOverride

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Good on you @CrashOverride for showing concern.

Fortunately the fires haven’t impacted very heavily populated areas so far. The death toll has thankfully been remarkably low, the loss of wildlife and livestock has been particularly tragic.

Down here in Victoria we don’t usually see many rainy summer days, but it can rain heavily if it does. The light rain we are currently experiencing is hindering back burning apparently.

Many firefighters from North America are here to help, good on them too.
That's awesome, I didn't know they were over helping y'all out. Cal Fire has a bunch of jets and helicopters they use for dropping retardant, I wonder if they are sending some of the equipment over. We get these winds after our summer, called the "Santa Ana's" and they blow hot, dry air in from the desert. Usually it will be warmer than normal. That's when the pyro's come out and start lighting the fires. I saw some reports on the unfathomable amount of wildlife deaths, some reporting that it may cause some animals to become extinct.

I'm really glad to hear that it has been in unpopulated areas. When the fires hit here, it was in a 6-mile swath between two very large cities. I hope y'all are upwind or at least far enough away that the air quality doesn't hurt you. Over here, I had to wear NIOSH N95 air masks for a few days because the air was so bad. And ash fell on my cars making it look like snow. Car wise, I would recommend cleaning or replacing your air filter and changing the oil once this thing is over, I know we had ash in everything that filtered air.

Y'all keep on keepin' on and stay safe!

Sponsored

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Whilst I live in a part of Victoria that has had minimal fire activity, I have family in two areas of concern in the Victorian high country and the NSW coast. All I can do is keep in touch and wish them the best of luck. Today where I live is blanketed in thick smoke haze which shows how large these fires are and how far the aftermath is traveling. It's a very unsettling situation, even for those who are not affected by the fires itself. Meanwhile, the politicians are playing political football and mind games when 100% of their focus should be on doing their bloody job!

Friend of Dorothy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Twister Orange 2020 FN GT
OP
OP
CrashOverride

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Man that is just crazy how big it is. I was talking about it today with my colleagues, they didn't realize just how big it is. Unfortunately, there hasn't been a lot of press on it here. CAL Fire has some huge air tankers - I didn't realize it, but they have a 747 actually.

https://www.fire.ca.gov/media/4950/aviation-guide-2019-access.pdf

I saw several of the helicopters making drops when I was evacuated. I also saw the DC-10, but I don't recall the 747. One of the things I heard was that the fire was so hot, it would burn up the repellent before it even touched the fire.

Is the reason for it starting known? Something natural like lightning, or something like a pyro? Oddly enough, we actually got our Santa Ana winds in last night. It should be around 60 (Fahrenheit) about right now, but today it was 80. It was so windy last night that I thought it was going to rip off the solar panels mounted on my roof - the gust had to have been over 50mph.

In our case, we had water reservoirs nearby, and if they were willing to fly about 100 miles, they could get water from the ocean.

One of these days, I need to come and visit. Not only do we speak the same language, but I know you guys have a great car culture. Man how I wish we could get some "Ute's" here.