Speed Phenoms GT500 has clutch overheating problem on drag strip pass

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
Next step in being on No Prep Kings or the 405 Bro.
Sponsored

OP
OP
obspsd

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Auto Ruby Red
So many people freaking out over nothing here. The car went into limp mode one time and then operated normally. DCT's are amazing pieces of equipment and this is the same sort of thing the GT-R owners went through when they first started turning up the power. The aftermarket came to their assistance and those cars are now making 2500+hp through their DCT's. This unit will be fine with some work.

For what it's worth my buddy just turned a 10.1@144mph with his 2020 GT500 on Toyo R888r's the other night and had 0 reported transmission issues.
The orange GT500?
Any videos of the run/runs!!!!?????

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
How many people here would do what he has done in one month in the Winter?
Well said, Earl. As much as I cringe every time the boy says "guys," it doesn't take away from his contribution to the cause at his own expense. Sure Mom and Pop help but the kid IS pretty successful (on YooToob anyway.) There probably aren't ten people here would ever do such a thing to the new Shelby just for YooToob UNLESS he were making enough to pay for all of it which he most certainly is not.

I say,

"Give it Hell, kid and be sure to share all the nitty, gritty details...and thanks in advance."

Sponsored

mmm635

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350R
If he we're on the tires the car was designed for it would be fine...

If you want a factory built drag car buy a cobrajet
I agree. Too much grip for the designed components with drag radials - pretty sure the clutch failed on the GT500 for this very reason. Stock tires it should launch all day long with no issues.

Similarly, Porsche specifically states in the owner's manual that one is not to install slicks on the GT3/GT3RS. Most likely for the same reason. I run slicks on my GT3...and if it fails, it is on me, not Porsche.

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
I agree. Too much grip for the designed components with drag radials - pretty sure the clutch failed on the GT500 for this very reason. Stock tires it should launch all day long with no issues.

Similarly, Porsche specifically states in the owner's manual that one is not to install slicks on the GT3/GT3RS. Most likely for the same reason. I run slicks on my GT3...and if it fails, it is on me, not Porsche.
Exactly. Ford owners want Ford to go in their heads and design the cars to do everything they want and build a car that will never break that can run 9s get 35mpg city, handle like a lazy boy and a Porsche cup car at the same time and only cost 20k...

The second something normal like a fail safe comes on to protect you from grenading a $12,000.00 tranny its a problem and ford fucked up...

To me its a win that they are monitoring the clutch temps and have a failsafe to protect the trans

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
To me its a win that they are monitoring the clutch temps and have a failsafe to protect the trans
Nobody is saying it isn't a win but rather that SP brought it to light. No GT500 owner wants a driveline failure. That said, that aftermarket community has its first challenge to conquer with this car.

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
Exedy is gonna make a lot of money selling clutches for this car. This car looks like a pain in the ass to drag. Turn this off. Turn this on.
Whats with the hate for him? Bunch of people already got their cars yet not uploading any videos. This dude just took the gt500 to a track with drag radials which is something id like to see. He did nothing wrong with the car if you actually watch the video. And he did what was recommended to him by like 2 other people in the video right before he goes through with it.
He did expose an important issue we had yet to see. Can't hate him for that.
Bro there is no issue... This is all operator error and the car is doing exactly what it was designed to do.

The car is designed for the tires it came with. Sp put on drag radials and did a massive burn out.

All of that heat up the clutch then he launched pretty hard using the cars launch control which slips the clutch. The car rightly discovered the higher temps and cut the power to protect the clutch and tranny...

If you use the car on the tires it came with you won't have any issues. Once you start putting radials on it the car will need to be recalibrated to let it tolerate the higher traction loads and accept the higher clutch temps.

Nothing out of the normal. Everyone needs to calm down...
Drag racing this car is such a colossal waste of money and waste of an amazing car. This car belongs on the race track the true racetrack and on the street.
Nope, just posting what is REAL from the H2H

TEST DATA
2020 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray (3LT Z51), 2020 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500, 2020 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 CFTP

ACCELERATION TO MPH
0-30
1.0 sec, 1.6 sec, 1.8 sec
0-40 1.5, 2.4, 2.4
0-50 2.1, 3.0, 3.0
0-60 2.8, 3.7, 3.6
0-70 3.7, 4.4, 4.3
0-80 4.6, 5.2, 5.1
0-90 5.8, 6.2, 6.0
0-100 7.1, 7.3 ,7.0
0-100-0 10.8, 11.1, 10.7
PASSING, 45-65 MPH 1.4, 1.3 1.3
QUARTER MILE 11.1 sec @ 123.2 mph, 11.5 sec @ 129.6 mph ,11.3 sec @ 131.6 mph
BRAKING, 60-0 MPH 97 ft, 100 ft, 94 ft
LATERAL ACCELERATION 1.04 g (avg), 1.01 g (avg), 1.05 g (avg)
MT FIGURE EIGHT 23.3 sec @ 0.90 g (avg), 24.1 sec @ 0.85 g (avg), 23.5 sec @ 0.89 g (avg)
3.3-MI ROAD COURSE LAP 2:00.96 sec (track setup), 1:59.68 sec, 1:56.30 sec
Yeah bro. The car has one of the most advanced engines, brakes, drivetrains, chassis, suspension, aerodynamics ford has ever put into a street car. And to take all of that and only go down a drag strip is a huge waste.

You could have bought a 3000.00 fox body swapped in a bone stock coyote from an f150 and run the same time as one of these stock for way way less money.

Put a blower on the foxyote and you'll run 8s for well under 20k.

I dont get drag racing though, seems silly to spend a bunch of money and destroy a perfectly good car all to be fast in 60ft... After the 60ft nothing else really matters... The rest of it is largely just the physical capability of the car.

A road course is no joke and that's what this car was designed for. It'll drag race but once u get off the street tires it will need mods to drag reliably
If he we're on the tires the car was designed for it would be fine...

If you want a factory built drag car buy a cobrajet
Based on my interpretation of the video, he stayed on the launch control limiter (2-step) longer on the second run.
That caused excessive heat in the clutch and combined with the increased traction which caused extra heat in the clutch on launch, insert heat protection limp mode.
Something always slips on a drag launch. With the stock tires, they slip before the clutch does. With drag radials, they’ll reverse that balance and the clutch will slip first, causing heat and limp mode.
Being an IRS and DCT car, I’d really like to see the car on a bias ply MT ET Street or Hoosier.
Ultimately the DCT needs some tuning, maybe extra cooling, and ultimately may need new internal parts; hopefully just clutches. Tremec did build some strength in this unit for use in the Shelby and Corvette as initial applications as they know buyers of each will do what we do, add more power.
Any rationale buyer should’ve expected a learning curve, but I still say the DCT will prove effective.

Dude get over yourself.
Not everyone wants what you want or buys this car for the reasons you do.
This car is designed to excel on the street, strip and track.
SP has really gained my respect, and guess what, he did what most guys will do.
Throw a drag radial on it and head to the drag strip.
More guys will do that than taking it to the road course.
Either way, the new 500 really is triathlete type of car, and if your serious, you’ll be changing the stock rubber out if you go to either type of track.
So no, even if you want to go to the drag strip, you can go have fun in a 500 without buying a CJ.
-J

Where the he11 do u people crawl out of?

SP is doing what he can for views. More clickbait. He didnt burn anything up long term. He overheated the fluid by staying on 2 step too long. Noob mistake, luck6ford knew amatuers would drag these cars.

Has 0 to do with the tires used

We still have tq/tcu limitations, but mine and the orange gt500 stomped out the gastest 60s and mphs froma gt500 thus far... on sticky tires.. guess how many overheating ttans we had? Yup

Zer000000000.

No go back to bickering about what we should do with our cars, and stop watching SP

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You people? Where did I say he burned anything up? Where did I say it had to do with the tires?

Go back and read what was said before lumping responses together and twisting them to serve as fodder for your opinion.

Sponsored

ZRacerLE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2 & ZLE A10
Based on my interpretation of the video, he stayed on the launch control limiter (2-step) longer on the second run.
That caused excessive heat in the clutch and combined with the increased traction which caused extra heat in the clutch on launch, insert heat protection limp mode.
Something always slips on a drag launch. With the stock tires, they slip before the clutch does. With drag radials, they’ll reverse that balance and the clutch will slip first, causing heat and limp mode.
Being an IRS and DCT car, I’d really like to see the car on a bias ply MT ET Street or Hoosier.
Ultimately the DCT needs some tuning, maybe extra cooling, and ultimately may need new internal parts; hopefully just clutches. Tremec did build some strength in this unit for use in the Shelby and Corvette as initial applications as they know buyers of each will do what we do, add more power.
Any rationale buyer should’ve expected a learning curve, but I still say the DCT will prove effective.

Dude get over yourself.
Not everyone wants what you want or buys this car for the reasons you do.
This car is designed to excel on the street, strip and track.
SP has really gained my respect, and guess what, he did what most guys will do.
Throw a drag radial on it and head to the drag strip.
More guys will do that than taking it to the road course.
Either way, the new 500 really is triathlete type of car, and if your serious, you’ll be changing the stock rubber out if you go to either type of track.
So no, even if you want to go to the drag strip, you can go have fun in a 500 without buying a CJ.
-J
That's a great name for it: triathlete

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The second something normal like a fail safe comes on to protect you from grenading a $12,000.00 tranny its a problem and ford fucked up...
And just to clarify, last time I inquired from Ford Parts and Service as to the replacement cost for a 2020 GT500 DCT, it was north of $20,000. This does not include any installation charges, just the transmission. Quite a bit more than a "$12,000 tranny."

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
If the DCT in the 500 is like the PDK in the Porsche...when it breaks the dealer does not open it up..when it goes bad. Same for the GTR...you get a new one put in. Sooner or later people are going to do something that exceeds its limits and it’s going to go poof...then they will try to get a warranty claim and it’s going to be denied...I will estimate this will happen within a few months,

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
Where the he11 do u people crawl out of?

SP is doing what he can for views. More clickbait. He didnt burn anything up long term. He overheated the fluid by staying on 2 step too long. Noob mistake, luck6ford knew amatuers would drag these cars.

Has 0 to do with the tires used

We still have tq/tcu limitations, but mine and the orange gt500 stomped out the gastest 60s and mphs froma gt500 thus far... on sticky tires.. guess how many overheating ttans we had? Yup

Zer000000000.

No go back to bickering about what we should do with our cars, and stop watching SP
I am not sure why you are dragging me into this thread when I have never posted on it. You take what I posted somewhere else and posted here, why is that?
Sponsored