Buying a used Cobb v3

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Okay, still highly considering a tune. Especially a used v3. First is it a good or bad idea to buy one used? There are a couple in the for sale section and listed as unmarried. If I do get a used one how hard is it to marry it to my car? How hard is it to set everything up and are there instruction online that may not come with a used unit? If I wanted to get rid of it in the future how hard is it to unmarry it from my car t sell to someone else? Not sure if I'm asking enough questions or too many but any advice is appreciated.
Sponsored

crimsonshade

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2019 ecoboost mustang, 1993 LX mustang 5.0
"First is it a good or bad idea to buy one used?"-- As long as you feel comfortable after talking to the seller buying an unmarried used accessport V3 is fine (that is how i got mine) and much more economical than buying a new one.

"If I do get a used one how hard is it to marry it to my car?"-- Marrying it to your car is super easy, make sure you have a good battery on the car or connect a charger attach the cable from the handheld to the obd2 port turn on accessory power select the program ECU options and follow on screen prompts, also there are a number of videos on youtube from CJpony and others that show step by step in better detail. My point is very simple process.

"If I wanted to get rid of it in the future how hard is it to unmarry it from my car t sell to someone else?"-- Very easy there is an option on the main screen of the handheld when it is connected to your car for uninstalling and returning car to stock.

One suggestion if you buy a used accessport is to make sure you download the accessport manager app and update it to the latest firmware to ensure that you dont have any issues connecting to your car and have all the latest features available.

OP
OP

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Thanks man. That helps I appreciate it.

NickZ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2020 Velocity Mustang GT, 2017 Lexus GX460
Vehicle Showcase
"First is it a good or bad idea to buy one used?"-- As long as you feel comfortable after talking to the seller buying an unmarried used accessport V3 is fine (that is how i got mine) and much more economical than buying a new one.

"If I do get a used one how hard is it to marry it to my car?"-- Marrying it to your car is super easy, make sure you have a good battery on the car or connect a charger attach the cable from the handheld to the obd2 port turn on accessory power select the program ECU options and follow on screen prompts, also there are a number of videos on youtube from CJpony and others that show step by step in better detail. My point is very simple process.

"If I wanted to get rid of it in the future how hard is it to unmarry it from my car t sell to someone else?"-- Very easy there is an option on the main screen of the handheld when it is connected to your car for uninstalling and returning car to stock.

One suggestion if you buy a used accessport is to make sure you download the accessport manager app and update it to the latest firmware to ensure that you dont have any issues connecting to your car and have all the latest features available.
So, one accessport can be used on multiple cars?

Deleted member

So, one accessport can be used on multiple cars?
Yes the, original owner just needs to uninstall the accessport from his vehicle.

If it was uninstalled improperly then these are the instructions from cobb's website on what to do.

COBB is able to change the part number of your Accessport. This service is $150 plus any positive difference in the cost of the part number you’re changing to. This isn’t the only cost to consider when buying used.

If an Accessport was never uninstalled from a previous vehicle, it can be re-licensed, or set to an uninstalled state. The Accessport is essentially 2 parts: the hardware to flash the vehicle and the tuning license that is installed on the car. Therefore, in cases like this when the tuning license is still being used on another vehicle, COBB can re-license the Accessport for 70% of the price of a brand new Accessport of that part number.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
I was too nervous of getting screwed in the used market so I went with a new one. Piece of mind is worth the extra expense

COBB Tuning

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AT EcoBoost, MT PP EcoBoost