Sponsored

New owner

wenklaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Hi All,

Picked up my new manual Mustang GT on the 5th December and have just clocked the 1000 miles (not normal in less than a month, 5k-6k a year tops) so I thought time for a quick hello and review, niggles etc hoping other members may be able to help

Coming from a DCT M2 and a ZF auto M135i before that, the Mustang is a bit of a change, loved GT's for years, drove a fair few thousand miles in them in the USA so that's why I took the plunge.

Anyway
1) I have a bit of a squeaky noise when I start up and turn the wheel about 3/4 in either direction, it seems to go once the car has been driven a while. Any ideas? I know a trip to the dealer may be required but I like to go with an idea of what's causing it.
2) Rear camera, always dirty, bugger all I can so about it really.
3) Sync 3, carplay works (well as well as it did in my BMW's, its still buggy) I am on Sync 3.3. Android Auto though seems to be really fussy about the USB cable. Its a shame it doesn't use the WiFi like carplay in BMW's, plugging in is a pain.
4) Handbrake gator is made of really cheap leather(is it??), any pointers to a better stock looking replacement (also the gear stick gator), is it easy to change.
5) Does the car have an inbuilt modem? Or is the data connection for Sync 3 nav only via the iphones plugged in the USB? I assume there is no inbuilt 4G/3G sim?

Any tips really?

All in all I am glad I have made the change, very very different in power delivery, it doesn't feel as quick as the M2 off the mark, less urgent and really needs to be in the right gear to make it go IMO, ive become lazy with auto/dct's! But once its going and you are using the rev range correctly boy does it fly and that noise is something else. Handling wise I am really impressed with it. I am no driving god but it is far less lively or willing to step out like the M2 did (controllably but it was keen to do it as times I would rather it didn't) it feels very planted, the only thing that I notice is the slight floaty feeling under heavy acceleration when changing gear, a slight wobble, whereas the M2 remained very planted. As I said different cars though.

It has a lot to live up to as the M2 was an absolute pleasure to own for 3 years, it really was fantastic. So far though the GT is ticking every box and more.
Sponsored

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
welcome to the forum and Mustang ownership :like: I nearly bought a 19plate M2 over the 17 GT but decided to get the Manual GT as well it's a Mustang and that's awesome and I thought for how long will we be able to buy and drive cars with V8's and manual boxes? I do find the Mustang is a bit wallowly and it doesn't feel quite planted when flipping through an S turn but it aint no lightweight thats for sure. I have heard folks say the Ford Performance Springs are a great improvement for the handling and always always have decent tyres fitted, Michelin PS4's I think are recommended. Much is down to individual feeling though.

I can't answer any of your questions but aye the Sync carplay thing is via USB cable only :)

Supersolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Congratulations, I hope you enjoy your Mustang and welcome!

That change from 2nd to 3rd at near or full "GO" does make my car perform a very slight, weird, yaw/pitch thing. I assume it's the result of a conversation between the throttle and the stability control.
Therefore I take a fraction longer changing gear and then, HOLD ON.
:like:

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Sync3 Nav must use RDS-TMC for traffic and warning updates as I don't have it linked to my phone for this purpose. It works in France as well where I often see more warnings for things such as bad weather.

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
4) you can get aftermarket gator trims, i felt the same with the leather so replaced it with one from Ebay (and the arm rest whilst also swapping the foam to memory foam, and the shifter), which was a more genuine leather.
5) it's just through the phone. The car has a Wifi reciever but that's about it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
wenklaw

wenklaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Thanks guys for the replies, straightened a few things out.

Things baffle me at the best of times, sync3 having the ability to connect to your home wifi or in fact mobile hotspot BUT cant use the data for anything other than 'sync3 updates' is a little absurd. One of those things to add to my list of not making any sense. The WiFi on mine also even when connected didn't see the update from 18351 to 19052. just told me it was upto date! Only found out there was an update via the website and my VIN.

I am going to change to an Android phone as I am no apple fanboy as for me using Sat Nav without real time traffic is fairly pointless, I cant be doing with plugging in all the time so data via BT on an android phone looks like it would annoy me less.

SpArKy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
OP
OP
wenklaw

wenklaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
LOL

I have never been one for exterior mods. Engine wise.......maybe.

Kept my M2 completely stock, first car I didn't remap in 20 years.
m2 picture.jpg

OP
OP
wenklaw

wenklaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
The M135i I had a TMC fitted, I tell you that thing could shift. I remember absolutely pulling the pants down a S3, the driver actually was a good chap, next roundabout window down and something on the lines of 'what have you done to that!!!!'
2015-09-02_03 39 59.jpg

Sponsored

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
She's a beaut!

Very underrated the silver - looks brilliant, especially with the contrast black roof.

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
It was a decision for me 3/4 years ago whether to go with M2 or Mustang, went with the Mustang! Although that new M2 CS is going to be a beast. Ford need to up their game on performance to compete against cars like the M2, and stop giving us gimmicks. But when it comes to design, exhaust note and general coolness, the Mustang has the M2 beat hands down. You were right to pick the Mustang manual as you would be sorely disappointed against the M2 DCT.

Like the silver with black roof and wheels

OP
OP
wenklaw

wenklaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
It was a decision for me 3/4 years ago whether to go with M2 or Mustang, went with the Mustang! Although that new M2 CS is going to be a beast. Ford need to up their game on performance to compete against cars like the M2, and stop giving us gimmicks. But when it comes to design, exhaust note and general coolness, the Mustang has the M2 beat hands down. You were right to pick the Mustang manual as you would be sorely disappointed against the M2 DCT.
I think the M2 is a very very good looking car, one of the best IMO in the sub £50k sector, I wouldn’t say the mustang is a better looking car, it’s different. Exhaust note I agree is epic in the mustang but again the m2 (not the m2c) stock is darn fine and with an MPE is pretty epic.

Drove the 10 speed auto mustang, decent enough but fell way short of the DCT, you are spot on. In manual mode the DCT is fantastic.

I just always fancied a GT so here I am, no regrets so far, really enjoying it. Certainly gets a lot of attention.