Ford Safe & Smart Package - What are your Thougths

Redcruzer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 eco boost premium convertible, Ruby red
Like many here, I wasn’t looking for it when I bought my convertible. But now I wouldn’t by another without it. S and S and heated seats. Never going without heated seats again, lol.

S and S are great tools to have. I still turn my head and use my mirrors though.
Sponsored

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
Just curious, all of you who got Ford Safe & Smart Package what do you think of it? I'm contemplating of trading in my 2017 GT PP Manual for a 2019 GT A10 and while test driving one was not overly impressed. I found it annoying every time I changed lanes without signaling that the steering wheel would start to shake (Yes, I know you supposed to signal). The car didn't keep me in the lane when the road curved even slightly and adaptive breaks kept me way too far from the rear of the car in front even the shortest distance setting. with my family living about 200 miles away, I do a lot of back and forth on the highway and it would be nice to simplify my long commute but..... What do you folks think?

Thanks,
Alex
Sounds like you're a bad driver and like tail gating...

That says I dont want any of that junk in my car. I like my car like I like my women, dumb, sexy high maintenance and Batshit crazy lol

crewdawg16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Kona Blue Focus ST3, 2019 Ruby Red Mustang GT PP1
I was considering ordering it but since I planned on putting a blower on the car and the kits all stated that the adaptive cruise (the only option I really wanted out of the package) would need to be disabled to install them, I passed on it.

I never drive my car in any weather and rarely at night so the other features are mostly useless to me and lane keep assist has always annoyed the shit out of me on any car i've driven with it.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Like someone else said the rear warning has saved me a few times backing out of a spot. Because you know when someone with limited sight is trying to back out the normal thing for everyone to do is rush in behind them or jet through cause they dont want to wait. People that wont let someone back out of a spot is one of my irritants in life. Only time they will stop is when they want the spot.
Why not back into the parking space? And when you leave, leave slowly. Other than for angled parking on one-way lanes/streets where backing in isn't an option, that'll take a lot of stress out of the whole business of parking.

Norm

FDHog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2020 Ford Raptor
Sorry, but I personally hate all the bells and whistles. Had them in a previous car and shut them all off except for the rear camera and the blind spot warning. Pretty soon these cars will drive themselves. If people stayed off their phones while driving and paid attention to the road, we wouldn't need all these functions. Lane keeping assist ???? If you can't stay in your lane, you shouldn't be driving.

Sponsored

GTFURY

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, PP1, 401A, A10, Magneride
I added Safe and Sound when I spec'd my 19 GT for one feature, the adaptive cruise control. I have a early version of it on my daily ('12 Grand Cherokee) and I've used it a lot over the past 175,000 miles. The modern version of it in the Mustang works well and I'm happy with it. Auto wipers I leave turned off, they never seem to get the intermittent right, it's either too soon or too late to wipe again. This is more me than the car, I leave them off in the Jeep too. The auto high beams on the Ford work really well, I leave those on all the time. I have them on the daily as well and they're terrible in comparison, I never use it there.

I rent a lot of cars on my business travel and many of them have lane keep assist (it's becoming standard equipment on more and more brands). I can say from experience using a lot of these systems that the Ford version sucks so I just leave it off. For starters, unless the lines in the road are very clearly defined, it has trouble holding a lane. There's a section of road by my home where the shoulder line breaks and then curves for a driveway to a shopping center. The car will actually follow the white shoulder line right off into the parking lot and it's repeatable, not a one time thing. Also, even on the least intrusive setting, I find it too resistant to driver override and the wheel shake feedback is annoying. With the system engaged, the car sways back and forth in the lane, rather than smoothly staying centered which makes it hard to trust.

Good systems that I've driven keep the car smoothly centered in the lane and will actually hold a turn smoothly with no issue (I've taken an off ramp at 50MPH using LKA in a Kia it's smooth as silk). I would never trust the Ford system to do that. The better systems allow you to override the automation with just a slight bit of initial resistance from the steering wheel, they're much less intrusive. The only time I use the Ford feature is to quickly clean my glasses or open a bottle of water, then it goes right back off.

The other thing to keep in mind is what mods you plan to do to the car. Safe and Smart can limit you there and as I think about mods into 2020 for my own car, admittedly I need to learn more about this area as well. Things like aftermarket grills can interfere with the sensors and if you're supercharging, the tune has to take into account the adaptive cruise control so that the system opens the throttle body appropriately for the power adder.

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
I was considering ordering it but since I planned on putting a blower on the car and the kits all stated that the adaptive cruise (the only option I really wanted out of the package) would need to be disabled to install them, I passed on it.

I never drive my car in any weather and rarely at night so the other features are mostly useless to me and lane keep assist has always annoyed the shit out of me on any car i've driven with it.
I don't think adding a supercharger defeats adaptive cruise as long as the sensor is installed.

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
I use the adaptive cruise often. I find with my mirrors adjusted the way they should be, that I’ve already seen the car coming before BLIS turns on the light in the mirror. I use the auto wipers in the summer but not in the winter. I very rarely use the lane departure warning, to the point I would say not at all. I think it is probably a good thing if you’re bound and determined to get home on a late night if you’re really too tired to drive. Being in Toronto, I don’t have much use for the auto high beams, although I can see the usefulness in rural areas.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I don't think adding a supercharger defeats adaptive cruise as long as the sensor is installed.
Sounds a lot like the kit mfrs don't want to have anything to do with making the boosted throttle response play nice with the CC.

Norm

Sponsored

Mr. Met

06 Time Person ofthe Year
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
2020 GTPP Premium, 2015 GT Premium, 1999 Expedition EB

Mr. Met

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
I use the adaptive cruise often. I find with my mirrors adjusted the way they should be, that I’ve already seen the car coming before BLIS turns on the light in the mirror. I use the auto wipers in the summer but not in the winter. I very rarely use the lane departure warning, to the point I would say not at all. I think it is probably a good thing if you’re bound and determined to get home on a late night if you’re really too tired to drive. Being in Toronto, I don’t have much use for the auto high beams, although I can see the usefulness in rural areas.
Blis isn't meant to alert you to approaching cars. The point of blis is to inform you about the car next to you that you might not have seen approaching.

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
I see that you are referring to 2015-2017 models. Sorry I didn't notice before. I am not sure what changed but on 2018+ models, ACC can be retained with the Roush system. This is from my Roush dealer:

Bruce,

We just heard back from ROUSH and the Adaptive Cruise is fine with the new tune on the 2018 Supercharged Mustangs, so I wanted to get out a quick update on our Performance Mustang Programs for 2018.

Mr. Met

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
I see that you are referring to 2015-2017 models. Sorry I didn't notice before. I am not sure what changed but on 2018+ models, ACC can be retained with the Roush system. This is from my Roush dealer:

Bruce,

We just heard back from ROUSH and the Adaptive Cruise is fine with the new tune on the 2018 Supercharged Mustangs, so I wanted to get out a quick update on our Performance Mustang Programs for 2018.
I didn't know there was a change. I just looked it up and indeed it does say they are now compatible.

slowrey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT PP1
Vehicle Showcase
I love my Safe and Sound. Auto wipers work well for me but I don't drive a ton in the rain. Auto High Beams is the bomb. Love them and they have never missed a beat. Adaptive cruise control, I have only used it once and it worked pretty well. Lane keeping, I think it works well. It doesn't replace driving straight, just a nice reminder on long trips where an added safety is needed. Those who find lane keeping intrusive, that means you're not using your turn signal and you're part of the problem.
Sponsored