Reaction score
Website
www.fsheff.com
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
Stang '19 Magnetic, EcoBoost™, Vert, MagneRide® PP
Vehicle Showcase
Front and rear cameras with relatively high resolution are in a known and useful arrangement. I need help thinking about this question: "If I were to install a two-camera system as side-view cameras, which of the two—front or rear—should be pointed to the driver side, and which to the passenger side?" Keeping in mind that the front camera has higher resolution and (switchable) sound recording, the rear unit has less resolution and a smaller footprint.

In a normal setup the smaller, rear camera gets its power and instructions from the front camera, and records its information to the front camera. Assuming the new side (ex-front) camera can serve in the same role as the Normal front camera, using the same power source, what are the reasons, if any, for putting one or the other camera on one or the other side?
Sponsored

LarsenGrind

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lars
Vehicle(s)
2017 Euro-Spec GT
OP
OP
frank s

frank s

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fsheff.com
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Been thinking about this myself. As I mostly drive in the left lanes, I would use the front camera to shoot out the passenger side window. As this is where I will see most action I guess.
Have U looked into the Secure360:
https://www.waylens.com/360/?_ga=2.116061702.109597701.1577489015-975346037.1577489015
Or what about the GoPro Max:
https://gopro.com/en/us/shop/cameras/max/CHDHZ-201-master.html
I hadn't seen either of those 360-degree cameras. Interesting. It's still likely that I'll use a regular 2-channel dash cam for side view, principally because I have one that's sitting on a shelf.

The reason you give for pointing the most capable camera to the right is the same as my first impulse. I can't think of any reason to do otherwise.

Thanks for your thoughts.

OP
OP
frank s

frank s

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fsheff.com
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Eloquent silence.

mejohn50

Intergalactic Snail
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
slow junk
The way I’d do it with two 2-channel cams is to have one front cam facing forward and one front cam facing rear. Then have one rear cam on each side of the car. Seems like it makes more sense to do it that way.