Sponsored

Euro Spec Deck Lid Panel

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone removed the fake gas cap thing from the euro spec panels ?

If so, what does it look like once removed i.e. number and approximate position of holes etc ?

Would any of the holes be covered by the application of another logo or badge e.g. a standard ‘GT’ or ‘5.0’ badge etc ?

Cheers,

WD :like:
Sponsored

Nevyn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nevyn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang V8 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Ooh.
Following this thread.
I’ve mostly seen people replacing the panel with a US spec one. Not thought about modifying the existing one.

OP
OP
WD Pro

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah I’m thinking if it’s possible it would be best to do it early in life so as not to minimise witness of where it’s been.

For me it would be from new (or very close too it). Perfect scenario would be removal, a quick polish and then application of a GT or 5.0 badge over existing holes.

In the instance of the holes being in unfavourable places, I’m also considering the possibility of removal, plastic repair and then repaint (whilst I’m having some other bits done) before badge application. This is a bit more work but probably still cheaper than a US panel and has the advantage of giving a more resilient finish when compared to the naked plastic.

Lets see what responses we get ... :like:

Alfa Male

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alfa Giulia
It’s cheaper and easier I’d suggest just to buy a blank aftermarket deck lid panel.
I bought mine from Nemesis and it was relatively cheap. Plus you have the original part to either sell or keep to later return the car back to stock.

Sponsored

Adz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ad
Vehicle(s)
Mustang S550
After doing some research, I wanted to fit the American style GT black badge, but would have to replace the whole pannel due to the holes showing. I think the source was CJ PP/American Muscle (maybe reviews) but I cant remember.

OP
OP
WD Pro

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
I have one panel on the attic, I can have a look. Don't remember exactly but I believe there are holes. Can take a measurement.
Thank you, that would be really appreciated :like:

Wildblood

'Andrew'
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
TY 'GT' Mustang.........'H1 OON'
Has anyone removed the fake gas cap thing from the euro spec panels ?

If so, what does it look like once removed i.e. number and approximate position of holes etc ?

Would any of the holes be covered by the application of another logo or badge e.g. a standard ‘GT’ or ‘5.0’ badge etc ?

Cheers,

Its a straight forward job and Ford Performance do a Smooth Black panel which I have on a 2016 car, or a later one with horizontal lines on which came out for the 2018 cars. As they were Ford Official parts, they came with good instructions.
CJ Pony I believe have them available.

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
I've removed two badges, you've got to drill out the plastic-welded mounting tabs, and then prize it off, the holes left aren't huge but you can't cover them with a tri-bar emblem or a pony emblem (out of the faux cap). There's about 5 or so bits to drill out.

You could fill and paint them, but to be honest it'd be cheaper (unless you own your own bodyshop) to just buy a new one.

Adam83

Yorkshireman.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White 2017 GT
Yup I’ve removed a couple and there is many holes, I just fibreglassed up the holes and smoothed out the deck lid then had it painted gloss black. Added a Coyote badge to mine.

Sponsored
OP
OP
WD Pro

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Its a straight forward job and Ford Performance do a Smooth Black panel which I have on a 2016 car, or a later one with horizontal lines on which came out for the 2018 cars. As they were Ford Official parts, they came with good instructions.
CJ Pony I believe have them available.
Thank you - I like the flat one best but it seems hard to get hold of now ... :frown:

OP
OP
WD Pro

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
I've removed two badges, you've got to drill out the plastic-welded mounting tabs, and then prize it off, the holes left aren't huge but you can't cover them with a tri-bar emblem or a pony emblem (out of the faux cap). There's about 5 or so bits to drill out.

You could fill and paint them, but to be honest it'd be cheaper (unless you own your own bodyshop) to just buy a new one.
Thank you - great info :sunglasses:

OP
OP
WD Pro

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Yup I’ve removed a couple and there is many holes, I just fibreglassed up the holes and smoothed out the deck lid then had it painted gloss black. Added a Coyote badge to mine.
Thank you - this is a route I may consider as I have some items I need painting in black so it might be worth a try as I’m already having some stuff done ... :like:

Nevyn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nevyn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang V8 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Hmm.
Now I have some satin black paint that might match better with the satin wheels and stripe I’m adding.
I reckon I could handle that project. I’ll post some pics if I go for it.

christianUK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Vehicle(s)
GT auto
I've had 2 goes at the black GT badge.
Version 1 was a plain decklid from the USA with the CJ Pony parts GT badge lined up, pins filed off and just stuck on. The decklid has a slight curve and the GT badge doesn't, so it lifts at the edges. Lasted about 18 months, dirt got under it and eventually it fell off.
Version 2 was the nemesis option. Blank decklid again, from their stock this time. They drilled it for me according to the pin locations on the back of the GT badge and then installed the badge onto the decklid using both the pins and catch washers and the sticky tape. It's been a few months now, solid as a rock.

Save yourself the bother and do it that way. You could probably sell the faux gas cap version to the Americans too.
Sponsored