Track days with forced induction?

Tonymustang302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Turbo GT, 2019 GT350 racecar, 2021 GT500
DO IT!!!! If you spend most of your time on the street, the blower will increase your smiles per gallon and heat will never be an issue. :rockon:
How about u do the whipple and i’ll do the track stuff by may and we meet at autobahn
Sponsored

DAVECS1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP GT Grabber Blue
I have done Autobahn long course 3 times. Only have had two afternoon sessions with the car dialing the power way back. It was still responsive and fun to drive around the track, just did not have the awesome corner digs and straight away speeds. The only heat induced failure I have had, was a tire.

Tonymustang302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
I have done Autobahn long course 3 times. Only have had two afternoon sessions with the car dialing the power way back. It was still responsive and fun to drive around the track, just did not have the awesome corner digs and straight away speeds. The only heat induced failure I have had, was a tire.
i plan on being there a lot next year......im going to wait on road america til 2021 when i have a truck and enclosed trailer.

Tonymustang302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2019 Harley Davidson F150 68 GTA
I think a nice twin turbo setup will work well. The Hellion kit seems to do pretty well. Of course you have Fathouse, and though they were kicked off these forums, on other forums I read Boostworks kit is good.

OP
OP
Seven

Seven

HPDE for me
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 F150 Platinum Diesel FX4 / '16 Audi S3 Viper Green APR Stage 3+ / '19 GT350R / 17 Camaro SS 1LE 575whp all motor (sold) / '15 C7Z 650whp (sold)
Curious about how the street sleeper hellion kit manages heat with the turbos low. On one hand as heat rises into the engine bay I'd be concerned, but also they're mounted so low they might get a lot of air-flow to cool them as well.

Also curious about the Edelbrock/TVS 2650 kit as it looks like it'd clear the strut bar and TVS seems to do very well with heat management (for a roots kit).

I'd would like to do a roots/pd blower or turbo kit, centri isn't a powerband I like nor do I hear good things about those kits on these engines

robtee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350 Supercharged
Vehicle Showcase
Curious how many folks with GT350/GT350Rs are doing track days with superchargers and/or turbo kits

How's the car holding up with the extra heat being generated? Oil temps? Coolant temps?

How's the clutch/trans holding up?

What kit do you have?
I just picked up my 17 350 with the 3L Whipple and plan on tracking it once it gets a bit warmer and will monitor this thread and update as well.

robtee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350 Supercharged
Vehicle Showcase
My car is the one listed in the post above. I was able to keep the strut tower brace and have no issues.
I do not have the 5.2L of course but my car has more track than highway miles. I am running Evans Waterless coolant in my engine with PP radiator and 175 thermostat.
I ran water and water wetter in the Whipple intercooler circuit. The air inlet temps would approach 140-145 on long sessions. I did my own running and I do not run the blower at 10/10ths more like 6/10ths for the track and I dial back timing as things heat up. As a last resort I cut throttle position for positive boost pressures when temps are real high. It feels weird but keeps the engine together. I have since upgraded to the biggest Whipple heat exchanger, an EMP circulation pump, and Watson intercooler tank. I also built my own diff cooler, though as I get used to my mustang the diff temps are staying in check. My oil temps get high after 30 minutes, but as of right now I just change the oil before and after each event. May add a cooler. The transmission makes noises when it is hot. I will run it until it dies and then look at a Tremec upgrade.
Hey Dave, not familiar with your build but sounds like a GT PP with a Whipple? What are you using to manage the power output, different tunes?

DAVECS1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP GT Grabber Blue
Hey Dave, not familiar with your build but sounds like a GT PP with a Whipple? What are you using to manage the power output, different tunes?
I am using HP Tuner. The short simplified version is , there are a number of fuel and timing maps that are requested based on operating conditions. I have a couple different tunes that have these maps tailored (dialed back) based on the results of heat from intake temps, hard engine work, and, fuel quality. So if conditions are not ideal I don't use anywhere near the potential of the Whipple, but I can mash the loud pedal without concern and worry about my line.
Sponsored