Paxton supercharger noob questions

Dark Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ramsey
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
So, me and a buddy just finished up my opg/cg '18 mani and paxton 2200sl 8 rib install a few days ago, and I have a few questions, mainly concerning the bypass valve and its operation. I have the upgraded bv57 huge monstrosity one and It seems that it doesn't actually close unless I'm at WOT or very close to it. I've been reading around and some people say that's how it's supposed to work and some people say it is OK for it to close around 6-8 hg of vaccum? I feel like to get some part throttle boost response it would need to close a bit sooner, but idk. I've only ever had a turbo car and I know I could build boost at part throttle with it, but it's a different animal. It would be nice to get a bit more grunt when trying to pass a car or something without having to bury the pedal. Even at what feels like (and I'll have to double check it on the Nguage) 30-50 percent throttle or so @ 4-5k rpms, I still hear the thing hissing and it doesn't stop until it's pretty much hammer down. I watched this video which is kinda unrelated, but this dude just stepping on the gas with what seems to be a light press gets the bypass to seal up. I feel like if he gave it a little more pedal he would start making positive pressure. Skip to 6:24 to see what I'm talking about.

I know there is a way to adjust this valve, but if it's actually supposed to be this way, then I don't want to change anything and mess something up. Anyway, if this is a dumb question, sorry, like I said, I'm a noob and this is my first supercharger.
Sponsored

SoCalTim

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Sold : 15 GT
I have the Paxton kit with the BV57 also.

Same as you have experienced, the BOV closes once you start to build boost on moderate throttle. That is normal operation.

Sounds like a Boeing Aeroplane most of the time.

OP
OP

Dark Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ramsey
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
I have the Paxton kit with the BV57 also.

Same as you have experienced, the BOV closes once you start to build boost on moderate throttle. That is normal operation.

Sounds like a Boeing Aeroplane most of the time.
About how much throttle do you apply before it closes?

OP
OP

Dark Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ramsey
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
Anyone else?

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
I'm Procharger but same idea. What your saying is normal. It stays open and doesnt fully close basically until your building boost. The BOV is bleeding off boost that the blower is making but the motor isnt taking in.

Think of it less by throttle percentage and more by vacuum, since throttle will vary alot depending on other conditions. My BOV doesnt close completely until about 2 hg of vacuum.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Dark Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ramsey
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
I'm Procharger but same idea. What your saying is normal. It stays open and doesnt fully close basically until your building boost. The BOV is bleeding off boost that the blower is making but the motor isnt taking in.

Think of it less by throttle percentage and more by vacuum, since throttle will vary alot depending on other conditions. My BOV doesnt close completely until about 2 hg of vacuum.

Appreciate the comment. So my question is, let's say you want a little extra grunt, but not enough to go WOT and you hold the gear to about 4500 ant 40-50 percent throttle, you don't get any boost since you may not be down close to 0 vaccum?

I'm still working out the kinks in my set up at the moment, so idk what things are supposed to feel like or be doing. Right now I seem to have a boost leak which is preventing me from doing anymore tuning with Lund as well.

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
bov is open under vacuum, closed at non vacuum, thats how it's supposed to work and what its designed to do

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
Sounds like a roots style supercharger is what you wanted for your type of driving.

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
Appreciate the comment. So my question is, let's say you want a little extra grunt, but not enough to go WOT and you hold the gear to about 4500 ant 40-50 percent throttle, you don't get any boost since you may not be down close to 0 vaccum?

I'm still working out the kinks in my set up at the moment, so idk what things are supposed to feel like or be doing. Right now I seem to have a boost leak which is preventing me from doing anymore tuning with Lund as well.
If you want a little extra grunt but not WOT, go 75% throttle lol. Not sure exactly what you mean. More pedal = more fasterer. It's not going to make much (if any) boost at part throttle.

If the BOV closes at WOT and after vacuum reaches 0, that's not the cause of your boost leak.

If you want to build boost quicker and have more boost at lower RPMs, look into wastegating or beefcake's "torque booster".

Sponsored
OP
OP

Dark Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ramsey
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
Sounds like a roots style supercharger is what you wanted for your type of driving.
Possibly. Probably more turbocharger. I'm not real familiar with the characteristics of the different types of superchargers, just what I read. From what it seemed, the centi was closer to a turbo and I know that I could build boost part throttle so I thought it would be similar.

OP
OP

Dark Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ramsey
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
It’s not an on off switch at 4500rpm in a gear and then going 50% throttle car is gonna go
bov is open under vacuum, closed at non vacuum, thats how it's supposed to work and what its designed to do
These 2 comments seem to contradict each other as I'm fairly certain it's possible to be at 4500 @ 50 percent throttle and in vaccum.

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
These 2 comments seem to contradict each other as I'm fairly certain it's possible to be at 4500 @ 50 percent throttle and in vaccum.
If the manifold sees vacuum, the valve will be open. The more vacuum, the further the valve opens. Fill in the blanks.

SolarFlare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT
I mean the car is not an on/off switch. People think oh there’s no passing power, if I’m under vacuum slow but once the bov closes it’s “full 10psi and hold on to dear life”, not really like that.

Last edited:

Wolvee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
I mean the car is not an on/off switch. People think oh there’s no passing power. If I’m under vacuum slow but once the bov closes it’s “full 10psi and hold on to dear life”
Can the P1x or D1x make 800-1000rw at 7500rpm?
Sponsored