Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford raptor. 2019 GT 350 R Black red pinstripe. 1948 Ford 4 door sedan. 1973 stingray corvette.
  • Banned
I know this may be like looking into a crystal ball but I was wondering over the course of time if you guys think the GT 350 R will be a collectors car in years to come or do you think it will hold it's value or even appreciate. I'm thinking the very limited 2015 GT 350 R and the 2020 GT 350 R heritage edition will be collectors cars in time. 2016-2019 ? What got me thinking about this is seeing the prices that are being asked for used 350 R'S. The R seems to holding it's value very well for a used one as of right now. There are 25 used R's on auto trader right now, and most of them are asking almost what they originally sold for. There are a few in the low 60's, but not many.
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
The GT350R will probably be ā€œcollectibleā€ dependent upon:

1) Mothballed or not (ie: accrued miles or none)
2) Low Build # for model year
3) Ext Color / Int Color + options and configuration
4) If all associated docs are present and preserved
5) Demand
6) Ownership history (ie: never titled, titled but 1 owner, etc.)

If you want a current Ford vehicle that will be a true ā€œinvestmentā€, plunk down cash on a Ford GT, mothball it and cash out in 5 years... and report back here.

The S550 Cobra Jets - although these cannot be Titled, those are holding their values very well and will also be future collectibles.

With the S550 Shelby production, both for the GT350 and GT350R is theyā€™re being popped out every year.... exclusivity? Sure to some, but as far as genuine ā€œinvestmentā€ quality - expect an R to fit the criteria above to really cash out - and thatā€™s IF you were able to get an R at MSRP or better - because MSRP+ADM just makes it that much more difficult to say if said vehicle would make bank (as some would want).

Donā€™t get me wrong at all, I see the GT350Rā€™s as being collectible, but thereā€™s just a lot of variables to put any type of current future value on them.

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
this may be like looking into a crystal ball
You nailed it right here...!!!!!!

Imagine having the crystal ball in 1969 and ordering a Trans Am convertible... only 8 made.
You are correct about the crystal ball. It's any ones guess as to what future value will bring.
Take that same crystal ball back to 1979 and buy just a few shares of Home Depot stock.
Every one's fantasy to have that "crystal ball"... Oh the possibilities!!!

I think the post sitting right on top of me makes some pretty good guesses.

Last edited:

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Everyone loves to rationalize ā€œinvestingā€ in a car. Theyā€™re emotional investments, and if you like having the car, I of course donā€™t judge. But as the numbers go, theyā€™re abysmal investments. Since weā€™re in the presence of Ford guys, we can use the 2006 Ford GT which people point out to have been the ultimate ā€œinvestmentā€ car from the past 20 years. A moth balled typically won't even beat the Dow Jones with dividends reinvested. And if you drove it, well nevermind. Also, car values that do go up tend to plateau. The stock market doesnā€™t. Now letā€™s say in 2006 when the iPod craze started you instead invested $150k in Apple instead of a Ford Gt. Youā€™d be a millionaire.

If we want a Mustang example, how about the fabled Cobra R? Only a few hundred ever made. You can still get a moth ball one now from guys who thought they were going to be worth fortunes for less than a new GT350.

I bought the R as a hedge against the awful depreciation most cars suffer. But when someone asks me about my investments my mind thinks about my education, the stock market, and my house. I canā€™t in good conscience recommend someone ā€˜investā€™ in a car hoping on a huge return when the numbers through the years have said otherwise.

Last edited:

Nfs1000f

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 & 2019 Ford Fusion SEL Hybrid
... Now letā€™s say in 2006 when the iPod craze started you instead invested $150k in Apple instead of a Ford Gt. Youā€™d be a millionaire.
I sold 1000 shares of Apple stock in 2007. I netted around $60,000. If I had held onto them as of today they be worth nearly $2.1 million. I wish I had a crystal ball then.

Sponsored

BostonDMD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R HEP, 2009 Porsche 911 CS, 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio, 2017 Alfa Romeo 4C, 2017 Jeep SRT, 1998 Porsche Boxster (race car), 2017 Audi Allroad, 1998 Mercedes GL450, 2016 Subaru crosstrek
Cars sure aren't great investments, but the driving experience, especially on an open track, is what gets my juices flowing....... looking to add an R to my stable as a fun toy, after all, what's the point of accumulating wealth if you can't enjoy it?

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I didnt buy mine as investments. However, one of mine is about to be traded in for $62K. I paid 2k ADM. Not bad....

Looking forward, yes, I think Rs will be collectable and worth some coin. Nothing extravagant in the near future, but honestly, big values probably wont occur in my lifetime.

Funny thing is that we are all looking to the past to estimate values in the future. The whole car market is about to change. More electric and less gas powered vehicles. I have no idea how this will affect values.

Anyway, the point is moot. I wont be around to find out either way.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Typically a 2 seat Mustang does as well or better than most all 4 seat Mustangs when it comes to collectability aside from maybe the Boss 302, Boss 429 and Boss 351 cars from 1969,1970 and 1971.

The best investment for a 2 seat Mustang of course was 1 of the 36 1965 GT350 R/competition models with one in pristine shape with lots of provenance going for around $1 million dollars and the regular 2 seat 1965 GT350 again in pristine condition and provenance going for about half that amount.

Additionally it is very difficult to put a price on 1 of the 4 GT350 Drag Units produced by Shelby American in 1965 at their Venice location with most enthusiasts not even aware the there was 4 Drag Units built for the 1965 MY and also another 4 cars for 1966.

Colin Comer has a 1993 Cobra R going across the block at Kissimmee in a couple of weeks and I expect that car to be around $125,000 mark as the 1993 Cobra R has done very well over the last couple of years with only 107 cars being built.

Of course the 2000 Cobra R is still out there and with only 300 produced watch out for that car in the near future.

I suggest that the 2 seat 2012 Boss 302 Laguna Seca's will come into their own especially a low mileage vehicle with lots of provenance will do well with the 2013 model following closely thereafter. Only 787 units produced in 2012 and 765 units in 2013.

With over 3000 R models built over the last 6 model years (2015 thru 2020) I am not convinced that the R model will take any great leap in value due to large production numbers but expect to hold their own based on being a 2 seat car with CF wheels and CF wing and a little different suspension compared to the regular GT350.

The only exception to this will be the 37 R models built for the 2015 model year as the 50th Anniversary model for the GT350/R as I expect them to continue to do well over time.

Will the rare 135 Base R models of the 3000+ R's built over those 6 years increase in value only time will tell.

With respect to the 7 or 8 years of Ford producing the competition Cobra Jet race cars I personally don't see them as a good investment as I have seen many go for well under what they have sold for brand new in recent years and without them not being streetable and not coming with a VIN these very fast Mustangs cater to a very small segment of the Mustang market along with their 6 figure pricing.

CoolHandLuke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R (Chassis #LR001)
I know this may be like looking into a crystal ball but I was wondering over the course of time if you guys think the GT 350 R will be a collectors car in years to come or do you think it will hold it's value or even appreciate. I'm thinking the very limited 2015 GT 350 R and the 2020 GT 350 R heritage edition will be collectors cars in time. 2016-2019 ? What got me thinking about this is seeing the prices that are being asked for used 350 R'S. The R seems to holding it's value very well for a used one as of right now. There are 25 used R's on auto trader right now, and most of them are asking almost what they originally sold for. There are a few in the low 60's, but not many.
Lots of great feedback here and I completely agree that to purchase any car as an investment is a poor decision (unless you're Wayne Carini) but let's really think about this for a second. The automotive gasoline engine is going to be extinct in the next 20-30 years or sooner. The automobile has evolved more in the past decade than in the past thirty years before that. I believe that all high performance, high horsepower, "analog" sports cars (especially with manual transmissions) will be coveted in the future- especially when electric vehicles become the new "norm".

The key here is the raw, visceral, analog experience our cars provide. As the 70s, 80s and 90s (OBD II) nearly saw the extinction of the 60s fun formula, those old school hotrods skyrocketed so why wouldn't it be realistic to think that low mileage, pristine, GT350s (especially R models) will become the second wave of modern classics? In addition, nearly every legitimate automotive publication on the planet has given the GT350 nothing but massive praise since day one. Maybe 20-30 years from now there will be a couple of hundred nearly perfect cars left and they'll bring say $150,000 or more....not that unrealistic.

Either way, if you're looking to retire from the proceeds, you'd better have a backup plan so why not just enjoy the cars while we have them?

LastV8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
1993 Fox 306, 2020 301A PP2
Vehicle Showcase
I out an order in for a 2020 G350R, I am very excited. I'd rather this car than a base GT500 or shelling out the cash for a CFTP (as I wouldn't order a base 500).

It's amazing how many people have (seem to) forgotten the GT350(R) even exists, I find there are alot of elitist pricks coming out of the woodwork to even sass or scoff at the GT350 owners. #oldfuckingnewsalready

Soooo, it is my opinion it'll hold value, sure, always. It is a fantastic car and I do (and will) love it for the reasons I opened the wallet even WITH the huge price hike for 2020 with no serious costing upgrades (GT500 steering knuckles is NOT an upgrade worthy of up'ing cost, if anything that move saves them money...)

Here is an example of a 3,700-Mile 2013 Ford Mustang Boss 302 Laguna Seca on BAT that just ended. https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2...mail&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2019-12-30

Sold for 2/3s it's original purchase value. As an investment, that was a fail. I think the same of the GT350R or even less, there is WAAAY more being made for way more production years. That is my guess and what I am betting on. While I don't want to see the price of the car tank (ie in 5 years be worth half of it's value... cause that is where patience could pay off), it won't stop me from enjoying the car! 3700 Miles in 6 years is (imo) NOT "enjoying" the car...

Sponsored

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
Most cars appreciate as the fans of the car age and come into money. Does the GT350 have the fandom of some of the classics?

I am not sure if you want to wait 30 years not drive your car maybe? but how many cars appreciate after inflation?

If the engine long term proves to be reliable maybe. Cars are so complex now, the ones that are valuable are often the ones that are simple.

I don't believe a rare 2015 will have more value than a 2016 when the cars are other wise identical.

After that ramble if the engines hold up I thing low mileage ones over a long enough time might be worth something.

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
I donā€™t see it unless as stated above you moth ball the car and revisit values in 30+ years. You would be much better off investing $70-80K in other ventures for a safer return.

rush0024

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R in Iconic Silver
Lots of great feedback here and I completely agree that to purchase any car as an investment is a poor decision (unless you're Wayne Carini) but let's really think about this for a second. The automotive gasoline engine is going to be extinct in the next 20-30 years or sooner. The automobile has evolved more in the past decade than in the past thirty years before that. I believe that all high performance, high horsepower, "analog" sports cars (especially with manual transmissions) will be coveted in the future- especially when electric vehicles become the new "norm".

The key here is the raw, visceral, analog experience our cars provide. As the 70s, 80s and 90s (OBD II) nearly saw the extinction of the 60s fun formula, those old school hotrods skyrocketed so why wouldn't it be realistic to think that low mileage, pristine, GT350s (especially R models) will become the second wave of modern classics? In addition, nearly every legitimate automotive publication on the planet has given the GT350 nothing but massive praise since day one. Maybe 20-30 years from now there will be a couple of hundred nearly perfect cars left and they'll bring say $150,000 or more....not that unrealistic.

Either way, if you're looking to retire from the proceeds, you'd better have a backup plan so why not just enjoy the cars while we have them?

Maybe we won't have to wait 20 to 30 years after all. A 2018 recently sold for 81K and now we got a 105 bid on this one. Dying to know what the reserve is.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2020-Ford-...rentrq:6dc9b07a1770a16e8e115f32fff31d48|iid:1

Matti777

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Factor in lost opportunity of the $ and the costs of insurance, storage and maintenance plsu the lost enjoyment and I would say no.

rush0024

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R in Iconic Silver
Factor in lost opportunity of the $ and the costs of insurance, storage and maintenance plsu the lost enjoyment and I would say no.
The question is will the GT350R become collectable one day? All signs so far point towards yes. Most people who own an R have a garage to store it in. No expenses there. Insurance isn't that bad. Maintenance costs are not that high. And these cars can be driven and enjoyed while still appreciating.
Sponsored