Sponsored

How many of you switched from manual to auto with the 2018+?

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
This is always the thing I don’t understand about the manual vs auto fight. The manual guys say it’s just so much more fun. I don’t get that feeling at all either. And I’ve owned both thru out the years.
The fun is downshifting too far and punching a hole in the block. That's a thrill you can't have with the A10 that won't let you make a bad shift.
Sponsored

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
This is always the thing I don’t understand about the manual vs auto fight. The manual guys say it’s just so much more fun. I don’t get that feeling at all either. And I’ve owned both thru out the years.
That's because you know what to do with your free hand
source.gif

ammoman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ammo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium, PP1, Manual, Magneride
... just three flicks on the paddles to get there. You can also floor the throttle, release it, and floor it again and the trans will immediately drop to the lowest gear for that speed...
I didn't try just going down 3 gears (I like to get the RPMs higher when passing), but I did try the throttle technique you mentioned. It felt like I was trying to coax it into doing what I want. (even in Sport) As you said, its all personal preference. And for me, I love having complete control over which gear I'm in and when I get there.

All my previously owned were manuals (trucks, jeeps, cars, etc) until the very last vehicle I owned. (And that was only an automatic because Jaguar doesn't make manuals in the vehicle I wanted.) My Jag had the ZF 8-speed, which is arguably one of, if not the best automatic transmission around. Even with only 8 gears, I just wasn't satisfied using paddle shifters. Don't get me wrong, for an automatic it was awesome! I had a blast driving it around twisty mountain roads in Colorado! But I always missed shifting my own gears.

And one other personal reason for 3 pedals - my lower back. I've had back issues for a while, and driving a lot with an automatic made it even worse. When driving an automatic, your left leg sits there doing nothing. All the braking and accelerating strengthens the muscles on your right side (your legs, gluts and lower back) while your left side atrophies. Driving 3 pedals with both legs keeps both legs active and strong. (at least that was one of the reasons I used to convince my wife to let me get the GT with a 6-speed)

Loki-GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium A10-3.55-400a
Vehicle Showcase
Just curious how many hard-core manual guys came from a manual to the 10R80? Myself, i've driven nothing but manual since i started driving, however the 10R80 convinced me after 22 years of driving that it really is a worthwhile competitor to a manual. I was 'that guy' who vowed to never drive an automatic.. but somehow, here i am.. enjoying it about 90% of the time.

Also with that being said, do any of you miss shifting? I still find myself looking for a clutch pedal and sometimes miss the forceful shove backwards by a physically induced power shift vs. a paddle shifter press.. but i will say that as good as I consider myself to be in slamming my own gears, there is no possible way i could ever do it faster than the new automatics! The numbers don't lie... but I do have to admit it feels like a bit of the driving experience is missing sometimes.

Anyway, just wanted to see what everyone else thought that went through the same transformation.
I thought I was done with Mustang's due to health issues with my feet until I test drove the A10 '18 GT during May of '18, I was sold! I have always been a stick shift for life person until health issues arose.

Boomboom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hugh
Vehicle(s)
19 GT, PP2
I have had both auto and manual sports cars. I prefer the manual. Yes. Auto is faster in a drag race. I just like the experience of a manual better. I may have to keep it for life as there may no longer be a manual option in the future.

Sponsored

samanosuke47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium
For me, the A10 was pretty grand. A very respectable transmission, but I'm with what seems to be a common thread here, I couldn't give up the engagement and enjoyment I get out of rowing my own. I may be slower, but so be it. I'm happy with my sometimes slow clumsy shifts when I'm tired. Or my accurate top notch going to take you to gapplebees shifts when I'm really on point.

Autos are at the point where I completely see why they didn't even bother with one for the GT500. It's so quick the driver would slow the car down if they did in most cases. lol It's just sad in a way that some of the engagement must be sacrificed in the name of being the quickest.

Bman5150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Mustang GT Premium (carbonized gray)
I’m still debating whether or not to even buy a Mustang GT. That being said, I’ve only had one other mustang in my life-a 2001 GT 5 speed- and I thought it was a total blast.I always thought I would never buy a mustang Gt again unless it was a manual, but my wife needs to be able to drive whatever car we get so I had just about ruled out an automatic GT. I went to the ford dealer to test drive an automatic GT expecting to hate it and rule it out as our potential car purchase. Boy was I wrong. I was very impressed with the A10 in the 2019 Gt I drove. Shifted smartly and felt even in normal mode it was very responsive. I hate cars that have poor throttle response to your pedal input. My old BMW 335i had god awful pedal response off the line but was great at speed. Same goes for the Audi A4 I test drove. But the poor pedal response from a start really grated on me. I also test drove a new Acura TLX A Spec. Unbelievably horrible throttle response from its 9 speed automatic when at speed! I refuse to get a car that drives like that. So, I was shocked about how responsive the A10 in the mustang was. It has great throttle response off the line and shifts very quickly at speed when you dig into the throttle.

if I had a choice, I’d still prefer the manual over the auto. However, I would have no hesitation about buying an automatic GT.

Sig556

White18
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium / Rapid Red 10 Speed Auto
I’m still debating whether or not to even buy a Mustang GT. That being said, I’ve only had one other mustang in my life-a 2001 GT 5 speed- and I thought it was a total blast.I always thought I would never buy a mustang Gt again unless it was a manual, but my wife needs to be able to drive whatever car we get so I had just about ruled out an automatic GT. I went to the ford dealer to test drive an automatic GT expecting to hate it and rule it out as our potential car purchase. Boy was I wrong. I was very impressed with the A10 in the 2019 Gt I drove. Shifted smartly and felt even in normal mode it was very responsive. I hate cars that have poor throttle response to your pedal input. My old BMW 335i had god awful pedal response off the line but was great at speed. Same goes for the Audi A4 I test drove. But the poor pedal response from a start really grated on me. I also test drove a new Acura TLX A Spec. Unbelievably horrible throttle response from its 9 speed automatic when at speed! I refuse to get a car that drives like that. So, I was shocked about how responsive the A10 in the mustang was. It has great throttle response off the line and shifts very quickly at speed when you dig into the throttle.

if I had a choice, I’d still prefer the manual over the auto. However, I would have no hesitation about buying an automatic GT.
As I have stated before I have been driving stick shift my entire life and love banging gears and having the control that goes with it. But the A10 in my 20 GT will get your attention and along with the 355 rear this baby keeps up with traffic. I'm thinking I'm liking the automatic...……..A Lot!

Birddog 29

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norman
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I learned to drive a stick in a 1928 Model A roadster. First mustang was a 68 302 top loader 4 speed. Next was a 73 351c with an automatic. Then a 64 1/2 green dot auto. Last was a 95 Cobra with a 5 speed. Having driven a combination of both I am glad to say my 2019 GT has the A10 auto. I love it. Use any of the drive modes and put it through it's paces. I bought it because my knees are bad. 43 years of driving a truck has been a strain on my knees and honestly I was tired of shifting gears. Best choice I've made on a mustang.

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible
Birddog, I'm sure glad someone else on this forum is old enough to know what Cruise O Matic is. The ex's 64 1/2 had that, too.

Sponsored

Intrepid175

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Well, since I haven't switched to a 2018+, I haven't swapped transmission types. I bought my 2016 GT used from Carmax. It had all the options I wanted so it caught my eye during a search of their website. It also had a MT which was fine by me but I would have picked it up with the automatic too. Still, I'm glad for the MT. It's the first V8 car I've ever owned that had one and I like the feel although I have to admit, it took longer than usual to get used to it. I thought I'd never figure out how to shift the darn thing smoothly but I'm through that part now. Having said all that, if I ever do buy another, especially an 2018+, I'll probably go with the automatic, not because of the performance advantage but for the convenience factor.

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible
Well there is one thing a manual trans car can do better than an automatic: stop the average carjacker. Knuckleheads don't know how to drive em. I do love reading the occasional story about a carjacking or theft gone bad cuz the thug didn't know how to drive the car. BWAAAHAAAHAAAA!!!

hlh1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10
I've had 6 manual Mustangs over the years and enjoyed the "engagement", but I'm amazed how good my 19GT A10 is. Used to be autos were horrible, but not any more. And, good or bad, my wife can drive the A10.

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
Strokin a stick is great and all, but I cannot powershift every gear, every time, at wot w/ a manual. That mt-82 would explode pretty quick trying to mimic an A10 in drag mode. :).

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Strokin a stick is great and all, but I cannot powershift every gear, every time, at wot w/ a manual. That mt-82 would explode pretty quick trying to mimic an A10 in drag mode. :).
How do you powershift with a10? You don't even have control of the clutch...
Sponsored