Sponsored

Convertible exhaust drone Help

Deleted member 35786

I cannot speak for the OP, but I have the same axlebacks with all else stock including the resonator and my thoughts are the same as the OP.

My CJPP axles has the same setup as the AWEs... just axlebacks and all else stock including the resonator.
Drone with your convertible?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Torinate

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
For comparison is this with or without resonator? And did you have resonator with your CJPP axle backs?
Yes. Stock suitcase on both.

Convertibles seem to drone much more than the coupes I’m told. Top up is worse than top down, but even top down used to drone immensely.

Just got in from another long drive, top down. I can tell you this, there is no drone with the AWE. NONE! With the CJPP, I would get out after a short drive with ears ringing and my wife with a headache.

I LOVE THESE “mufflers”. I think AWE prefers resonators...

Complete night and day difference. Again, your mileage may vary.

Drone with your convertible?
Yes. Drone with the convertible. If you’re a ragtop, this is the way to go!

freshjive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
If anyone's interested I made a short clip of the Touring Ford Performance mufflers with an H pipe. I suspect the cat back system would sound close to the same. No drone in the car.

Mr1dfl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible
Ok. Here is my long winded review of the AWE Touring axle back. Apologize now for the length of this...

So I picked them up from Wednesday after work from Eurosport Tuning in Oakville. Great guys by the way! Had them in before they said they would have them! Bonus!

So opened the box and saw the small size and light weight. Yes, I had reservations at that point... I thought I’m not even going to open my lollipop at this point for fear of having to return them or sell them...

I thought since I will have the car on jack stands, I’ll change the oil as well. May as well right...

So I change the oil and then complete the axle back change. I’m still quite messy from the oil change and dirty from lying on the garage floor so I asked my wife to come out to start the car so I can check for leaks and then recheck the oil level after it’s been circulated.

Moment of truth!

Cold start. In the garage (door was up though and back end facing out). Top up at this point.

Vroom! Cold start! Idled for a couple minutes. So the cold start was loud. Maybe not quite as loud as the CJPP but close. I get that eyebrow look from my wife and the comment “quieter huh?!”

Uh oh! I’m thinking how painstakingly I put on the tips etc..

So no leaks and everything is looks good oil wise so I get it off the stands. Run in and have a quick shower. Time for me to see what I’ve got myself into and go for a spin.

I got the obligatory “good luck” from wife. I’m still not thinking about my lollipop.

Let’s see what this 180* tech is all about! So I leave about 9:00 pm. Top up as that’s where the drone was really the worst.

I take off. Interestingly enough, just cruising in regular mode so the engine would let the car cruise between the 1500 and 2100 rpm point. Drone city before.

Amazing! At these cruising RPMs this car is awesome now! NO DRONE!!! NO HEADACHE!!

So I put the roof down and proceed. Wow! These sound nice!

So I continue on. I roll home at about midnight having tested every drone scenario I had previously. I say nothing.

I thought, she has to experience this herself.

Next night, she wants to go for a drive for ice cream. There’s no way she wants the top up though. “No. Don’t want a headache dear”.

Ok no worries... here’s the test.

So we pull out and we’re no more than 3 houses down and she says “they sound the same as before” in one of those of voices that you kind of think “I screwed up”. But I knew better.

We’re now driving for a little while. Talking. Which before was a challenge as the resonance and noise would interfere. She then says, “ok. So you said something about some 180 or something?” I’m like huh? She says, “I will admit, this car now sounds amazing! No noise! Sounds meaner when you pass cars. It just sounds so much more refined and grown up! I love it!! And no headache tonight dear! (With a little wink!). She offers to buy me ice cream! I couldn’t resist!

So then Friday night, she’s all over going for another drive! Anywhere! Just cruising...

We were able to have scintillating conversation about the kids, college and summer travel plans! Before this with the CJPP, this wouldn’t happen. It would have been about the buzz or headache.

Needless to say, the car is WAY MORE ENJOYABLE NOW!

So here’s my full take on things. I’ve put almost 1000km (700 miles) on them.

Cold start. Still loud but no interior buzz. Low rpm cruising is completely perfect! 0 drone and completely perfect for all day enjoyment. The exhaust has a really sweet bark and growl when revving out! The sound level is completely dictated by throttle angle, not rpm or load so much. Before with the CJPP the car was very loud at idle and cruising (much louder than the AWE) but would quiet down as the revs increased. More noise where I didn’t want it and less volume where I did want it.

The tone is absolutely perfect. It sounds more refined, more mature, more exotic I guess. Not as muscle car as before but not raspy in any way. Just a nice perfect growl! Plenty mean when on it and subdued when cruising! Wonder how much volume will change when I install my supercharger?

Perfect!! Exactly what I was hoping and praying for! I’m close to the 1000 mile break in point they mention, so I don’t anticipate any negative changes coming. I’ll report if there is anything...

So...

Thank you @Fordever ! You were absolutely right! Going to enjoy this!

Thank you to Josh @Josh/AWE for a great system! Everything I’ve read is true. Thanks for your correspondence and answering my questions. This 180* tech WORKS!

Thanks to EuroSport Tuning for being a pleasure to deal with and speedy service!

Guess it’s time to see what flavor of blow pop I got and enjoy it! Likely hard to do with the smile on my face though!

So if you’re hesitant about this system, I can honestly say now, YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED !!!
Just wanted to thank you and fordever.

Got my 2015 GT convertible a couple of months ago and thought the exhaust sound was lacking. I purchased the AWE touring axle back during Black Friday and just got them installed today. All I can say is WOW, perfect. No drone at any rpm and the sound is controllable with accelerator pedal. Cruising is almost factory quiet but with a deeper tone. Give it some gas and the exhaust lets you know you have a high performance V8 motor. The guy who installed it asked if I wanted to hear it while he revved it a little, I said sure. The next words out of his mouth were " this is how a coyote 5.0 should sound " and I totally agree. Thanks again, no regrets getting the AWE axle back, just smiles.

Last edited:

Fordever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Convertible
Just wanted to thank you and fordever.

Got my 2015 GT convertible a couple of months ago and thought the exhaust sound was lacking. I purchased the AWE touring axle back during Black Friday and just got them installed today. All I can say is WOW, perfect. No drone at any rpm and the sound is controllable with accelerator pedal. Cruising is almost factory quiet but with a deeper tone. Give it some gas and the exhaust lets you know you have a high performance V8 motor. The guy who installed it asked if I wanted to hear it while he revved it a little, I said sure. The next words out of his mouth were " this is how a coyote 5.0 should sound " and I totally agree. Thanks again, no regrets getting the AWE axle back, just smiles.
Glad you are happy. I am still loving mine, although my car is winter parked now. :crying:

If i were gonna but another car tomoro, I wouldn’t even look at another setup... I am that happy with them. :rockon:
Sponsored