Sponsored

"Mustang Mach E" Confirmed, Reservations Begin Immediately After Nov 17 Live-Streamed Reveal

How will Ford naming it's new electric SUV "Mustang Mach E" impact your future purchase decisions.

• Much more likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 49 12.5%
  • Slightly more likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • No change

Votes: 219 55.9%
  • Slightly less likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 55 14.0%
  • Much less likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 63 16.1%

• Total voters

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
https://www.motor1.com/news/389822/baby-mustang-mach-e-vw/

So apparently Ford wants to make a "baby" version of the Mach E now and use VWs MEB platform to do it..... For God's sake why? The Mach E is already going to have a challenging time being useful as an SUV, how the hell is something even smaller supposed to work? Here is a thought Ford.... A 2 door coupe WITH A HATCH. Would be more useful than whatever comes of this....
You just couldn’t let this thread die, could you? :headbang::)

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
I’ve posted at least 2-3x that the freaking “ME” was already based off the VW MEB platform and even included the CAD images... let alone the fact that the ME is nothing more than a squashed/elongated Escape....

WhoTF cares anymore about the ME, Ford diluted the Mustang’s Heritage in a single day and thinks that is fine and dandy and ... the MCA accepts it....

Here’s another deposit on a ME :ontheloo:
Mach E was in progress long before Ford and VW started dating. I was still at GM doing intel on powertrain systems, including EVs. MEB was in full swing and Ford was working on "Project Edison". Even bought the old dilapidated train station near downtown Detroit so that they could separate their EV development teams (yes, plural) from the rest of the development teams. Just like Rivian is not involved in the F-150 EV because it was already too far into development, the Mach E development started earlier than F150 EV and the VW deal came into play around the same time as the Rivian deal. No way they had enough time to implement MEB. I would expect smaller EVs, especially European based product, to be based off of MEB, but we're talking 2024 and later. Both Mach E and MEB are based on a skateboard chassis, so that they have in common. But so is Tesla. And the Lucid Air. And several upcoming Jaguar Land Rover projects. Pretty much every clean sheet of paper EV is a skateboard.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
You just couldn’t let this thread die, could you? :headbang::)
Hey! I was not the one that moved it into this thread! It was its own separate thread but I guess the Mods want to contain the spread of Mach E BS which I am fine with. :bandit:

Sponsored

nrc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EB PP
Very simple, if you don’t like, don’t buy one....
I won't. And I'll go one better. I won't buy from the maker because I don't do business with garbage companies that don't value their most passionate customers.

But I'll also continue to call out this whole "family of Mustangs" notion for the bullshit that is is. Stupidity needs to be called out as stupidity or stupid people start to think that they're clever. It's rampant and it's spreading.

Oh sure, most of the people going along with this know that it's stupid but they're whistling past the graveyard hoping that it won't turn out to be as disastrously idiotic as it appears. But it is. It's just as horribly moronic as you know it is deep inside.

Name any period in Ford's history where they've had more than one car worthy of the name "Mustang." You can't do it because it's never happened. This management isn't looking to change that. They don't care about cars or drivers. They're accountants and marketers. They're just looking to slap a "super sexy new hotness" badge on the electric toasters they were going to crank out anyway, add an unbridled button on the giant touch screen and call it good to go.

"Mustang" is becoming a joke before our very eyes.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I won't. And I'll go one better. I won't buy from the maker because I don't do business with garbage companies that don't value their most passionate customers.

But I'll also continue to call out this whole "family of Mustangs" notion for the bullshit that is is. Stupidity needs to be called out as stupidity or stupid people start to think that they're clever. It's rampant and it's spreading.

Oh sure, most of the people going along with this know that it's stupid but they're whistling past the graveyard hoping that it won't turn out to be as disastrously idiotic as it appears. But it is. It's just as horribly moronic as you know it is deep inside.

Name any period in Ford's history where they've had more than one car worthy of the name "Mustang." You can't do it because it's never happened. This management isn't looking to change that. They don't care about cars or drivers. They're accountants and marketers. They're just looking to slap a "super sexy new hotness" badge on the electric toasters they were going to crank out anyway, add an unbridled button on the giant touch screen and call it good to go.

"Mustang" is becoming a joke before our very eyes.
Correct. They are literally going to make Mustang a sub brand with several vehicles. It's tragic. They will reap what they sow, however.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
I've said it before and I'll say it again, everyone.......and I mean everyone at Ford should watch A Faster Horse. I've just watched my DVD for about the 9th time! This is the first time I've watched it since this Mach E mess. Previously, I've watched it an gotten goosebumps because it was clear the people in charge of Mustang were as passionate about it as we are......and "got" exactly what a Mustang is, was and should always be.

This time, though, I watched it and it made me sad knowing that in 5 short years, they're ignoring all the "right" things that were said in that documentary. How the hell things can do a 180 so quickly is beyond comprehension :facepalm:
A faster horse.jpg

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I've said it before and I'll say it again, everyone.......and I mean everyone at Ford should watch A Faster Horse. I've just watched my DVD for about the 9th time! This is the first time I've watched it since this Mach E mess. Previously, I've watched it an gotten goosebumps because it was clear the people in charge of Mustang were as passionate about it as we are......and "got" exactly what a Mustang is, was and should always be.

This time, though, I watched it and it made me sad knowing that in 5 short years, they're ignoring all the "right" things that were said in that documentary. How the hell things can do a 180 so quickly is beyond comprehension :facepalm:
A faster horse.jpg
upload_2019-12-28_9-49-8.jpeg

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
How the hell things can do a 180 so quickly is beyond comprehension
Hire a bunch of historically clueless people in sales and marketing (they don't actually teach History anymore - and thus no appreciation for anything older than their age) and probably a skewed sample set of people in the focus group, or someone who doesn't know how to write non-skewed questions for the purposes of gauging consumer interest. (it's EASY to write misleading, or influencing questions that elicit the desired response)

Or face it, consumers don't give a sh*t about anything besides looks and range, brand integrity doesn't matter at all. You could line up 30 CUVs and they all are basically identical as if they all came out of the same industrial design shop.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Apparently, those people either got fired, reprogrammed or moved to some other project within Ford.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Everyone one is worried for nothing the politicians in Washington are getting ready to let the EV tax credit die and most all of the states are raising or putting new taxes on EV's. So the interest in EV's is going to drop off dramatically except for the rich in crowd.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Everyone one is worried for nothing the politicians in Washington are getting ready to let the EV tax credit die and most all of the states are raising or putting new taxes on EV's. So the interest in EV's is going to drop off dramatically except for the rich in crowd.
Some states are also starting to tax EVs by miles driven because they don't generate any state revenue from the state gas tax.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I don't think that's a big concern here.

I do think that most are OK with the concepts of EVs, SUVs, and Mustangs - as long as Mustangs and SUVs are kept completely separate. Ideally as long as EV isn't the only way to get a Mustang.

Norm
Sponsored