Sponsored

What is the deal with the hostility and resentfulness here now?

frank s

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fsheff.com
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
Stang '19 Magnetic, EcoBoost™, Vert, MagneRide® PP
Vehicle Showcase
The very worst thing about the Mach-E is that it causes thoughtful, articulate people to abandon their postures as reasonable car enthusiasts, to expose their inner infants and waste considerable bandwidth.

Tseg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
I always wondered why the old farts bought those clanky old muscle cars at those fancy auto auctions when they could have the brilliance and power of a modern day V-8 with a modern suspension and modern transmission. Now I see why I will become that next generation of old fart at the auction.

SSG 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
The new look is plain ugly lol. I guess I’m with you keeping my supercharged Mustang.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Its current Federal law. There is no way they can produce mass market V8 cars anymore. So that's my long winded way of saying of course it was going to go electric, there is really no other choice.
I really don't want to get involved in discussing laws and mandates, whether they were created to satisfy pressure groups with their own agendas or not.

As far as the body style, people just dont buy sedans or coupes anymore as a mainstream choice, they want SUVS and crossovers.
Fine. But that's not in and of itself a reason why any SUV should include the 'Mustang' name. And please avoid speaking in silly absolutes - there still are people who actively choose to buy sedans and coupes. Not as many as before does not mean none at all.

You can stick your head in the sand and pretend it isn't so, but it is. As far as not being a Mustang in design, its style looks just like the 2015+ Mustangs except up higher and a fastback CUV shape.
That's fine as far as being identifiable as a Ford product goes, much like the twin kidney-bean BMW grille makes for instant recognition. But BMW at least distinguishes its non-sedans by starting such vehicles with the letter 'X', and everybody understands perfectly.

It maybe just that I'm the perfect demographic they were aiming for with this car. Just turned 39 last week, so early millennial, Mustang fan, wouldnt mind sitting higher up
Lots of people like you, but again, not everybody. I've been 72 for about a month and a half, and while the whole idea of sitting up high at the bar is fine with me, for driving it's . . . :thumbsdown: :puke: yuck

and intrigued by electric cars and the torque and weight distribution benefits. All I know is the extreme reaction is unneccessary, it doesnt threaten your existence.
Unnecessary from your perspective, perhaps. Which you're fully entitled to . . . but only as long as you're willing to accept that other people may not agree with you and that you grant them the same entitlement to their preferences as you expect from them for yours.

As to threatening my existence, of course not, at least not in terms of life and limb. But certainly there is a threat to my enjoyment and ability to buy the kind of car that I prefer. Do not assume that the EV features that you mentioned appeal to me the same way they appeal to you. Do not assume that EV attributes you didn't mention can be viewed only as negatives.

I think you're too young to have experienced the car industry walking away from building cars the way you prefer (I have, it's no big secret what that is, and if you need a bigger hint than that it's there in my sig).

Either that, or you're far more willing to let others decide for you what your choices are allowed to be than I've ever been or ever will be.

Norm

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I really don't want to get involved in discussing laws and mandates, whether they were created to satisfy pressure groups with their own agendas or not.
Fine. But that's not in and of itself a reason why any SUV should include the 'Mustang' name. And please avoid speaking in silly absolutes - there still are people who actively choose to buy sedans and coupes. Not as many as before does not mean none at all.
That's fine as far as being identifiable as a Ford product goes, much like the twin kidney-bean BMW grille makes for instant recognition. But BMW at least distinguishes its non-sedans by starting such vehicles with the letter 'X', and everybody understands perfectly.
Lots of people like you, but again, not everybody. I've been 72 for about a month and a half, and while the whole idea of sitting up high at the bar is fine with me, for driving it's . . . :thumbsdown: :puke: yuck
Unnecessary from your perspective, perhaps. Which you're fully entitled to . . . but only as long as you're willing to accept that other people may not agree with you and that you grant them the same entitlement to their preferences as you expect from them for yours.
As to threatening my existence, of course not, at least not in terms of life and limb. But certainly there is a threat to my enjoyment and ability to buy the kind of car that I prefer. Do not assume that the EV features that you mentioned appeal to me the same way they appeal to you. Do not assume that EV attributes you didn't mention can be viewed only as negatives.
I think you're too young to have experienced the car industry walking away from building cars the way you prefer (I have, it's no big secret what that is, and if you need a bigger hint than that it's there in my sig).
Either that, or you're far more willing to let others decide for you what your choices are allowed to be than I've ever been or ever will be.
Norm
Happy Holidays Norm........

Reactions: DRB

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
It only exposes the lack of corporate respect for a product that has garnered the market in one particular area of automotive history the pony/musclecar for more than 50 years. The name use on a totally unrelated vehicle represents a frivilous dilution of the mustang. It is not a matter of whether or not someone wants a Ford electric SUV. That in itself is a great idea. It's as if someone relaunched GI Joe and dressed it as a woman, and said here's your new GI Joe. No disrespect to female soldiers. I guess we can't expect people under 50 or so to have the same respect for things as they are, and I hear they are running Ford now.
The first G.I. Joe toys were just Ken dolls from Barbie with soldier clothes though. I think the better analogy here would be the girls forcibly joining the Boy Scouts to then make their own female only troop. Insanity....Or maybe I missed your analogies point, I'm at work the day after Christmas and my mouth hurts from a wisdom tooth coming in. Not sure I should be operating this keyboard. Pretty sure we all agree the mustang name shouldn't be on a SUV though.

LarsenGrind

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lars
Vehicle(s)
2017 Euro-Spec GT
.....or maybe your wife is bugging you because she can't get a car seat in your Mustang. That doesn't mean you can just buy an electric mom van, call it a Mustang and have it be true.
I have a '17 GT as a familycar. A childseat (9yo) behind me, and a baby riding backwards behind my girlfriend. The trunk is even big enough to fit this 'push-baby-around-thingy'. I got the GT before she was conceived, so she very well knows the rumble of a V8. She even turns her head at other 'loud' cars.
An EV SUV is not something I will consider. Might change my mind one day if we need more than 4 seats, but the GT is NOT going anywhere!
D70D1865-04AF-44F4-B7F3-79D6B59911A6.JPG

Dadillac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost Premium manual
Ford owns the name Mustang. Ford gets to decide what vehicle is called a Mustang. Not the general public. There are plenty of people who would absolutely love to own a Mustang but simply cannot. Whether it be it only has 2 doors or that the rear seat is more of a struggle than it is worth. Or maybe it is the lack of AWD or whatever. The Mach E will draw those people, and many many more, to a new Mustang. They will sell more of these by being called a Mustang than if it had a different name. I predict Ford will sell every one that is made. Ford has been in business a very long time. They know what they are doing. Tomorrow if Ford decided to bring back the Fusion, and call it a Mustang, they can and will do it. You or I do not have to agree with that decision. Nor do we get the right to tell Ford to not do that. Their money their choice.

Don

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
So the title of this thread mentions the words "hostility" and "resentfulness". I've tapped out of the other thread due to the same reasons but figured I'd comment here as I now can't resist myself.

I understand peoples resentment to Ford putting the Mustang name on an electric SUV. I wouldn't have done it myself, but the level of hostility is totally baffling to me. It's as if Ford pillaged your village and set it on fire! C'mon people, it's a chunk of metal. You or your family were not harmed here.

Why so much hate? Some of you must REALLY sweat the small stuff based on the responses I've read.

It's no wonder we can't get along in this world! It's okay to be resentful but man the hostility towards this decision blows my mind.

Reactions: DRB

Sponsored

Wylie C

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium A10
Vehicle Showcase
A client of mine says his Model 3 costs him $7 to charge fully from less than 10% charged.... And he gets 200+ miles on a charge.

Huh? No savings?

I agree with your points about infrastructure. But EVs are still fairly new especially if you compare them to IC engines. Given time I believe you will see it grow. Especially when larger manufacturers hop onboard.

Buyers don't care about delayed emissions. Don't be fooled, most people aren't buying them because they want to be green, they simply don't want to pay for gas.
How long does it take to recharge? You take a 400 mile trip and have to stop half way and try to find a charging point, hope that no one else is using it. Then plug in and take a nap for a couple of hours while you batteries charge? I'll keep paying for gas.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
How long does it take to recharge? You take a 400 mile trip and have to stop half way and try to find a charging point, hope that no one else is using it. Then plug in and take a nap for a couple of hours while you batteries charge? I'll keep paying for gas.
..... 45-55min from 0-100 with Level 3 (150-250kw) charging... Hours to charge is when you are at home and are using a level 2 charger (7-10kw).

And again, you do not usually charge from 0-100. It's usually 20-80 which only takes 15-25min.... Short enough for a quick rest stop and then back on the road....

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
So the title of this thread mentions the words "hostility" and "resentfulness". I've tapped out of the other thread due to the same reasons but figured I'd comment here as I now can't resist myself.

I understand peoples resentment to Ford putting the Mustang name on an electric SUV. I wouldn't have done it myself, but the level of hostility is totally baffling to me. It's as if Ford pillaged your village and set it on fire! C'mon people, it's a chunk of metal. You or your family were not harmed here.

Why so much hate? Some of you must REALLY sweat the small stuff based on the responses I've read.

It's no wonder we can't get along in this world! It's okay to be resentful but man the hostility towards this decision blows my mind.

What’s your most favorite thing or passion in the world? Ok, now let’s take that thing, whether it’s materialistic or not and going forward we’ll just call it a total utter piece of shit.

THAT is what Ford did - they took the Mustang’s heritage, tossed it aside and plastered the iconic Mustang name and Pony to a POS “compliance” SUV platform that is absolutely NOT and NEVER was destined to be a Mustang at all, period... The ONLY reason that new EV platform was designated a Mustang is because Farley and “Hack-it” pushed for it, just for the sake of profit...

So while you have your point about it being “just a piece of metal” - that’s fine, but calling any other vehicle platform (even if it was not the “ME”) a Mustang, when THE Mustang has existed for 55 years now is just ignorant and stupid.

All I can say is have fun at the 2021+ car show events when a freaking SUV can enter into the same category as your (true) Mustangs... LMFAO.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Let me try an analogy.

Suppose you're a die-hard NFL football fan with a particularly strong allegiance to one team. Like you wear a team jersey while watching at home and the TV is at risk of being a target when a questionable call goes against them. Doesn't matter if it's the Eagles or the Redskins or the Cowboys or the Patriots or, well, you know.

Now suppose that your favorite football team - I'll use the Cowboys here - decides to expand their name branding into a different sport and hung their 'Cowboy' tag on something like a "Dallas Cowboy Soccer" team or a "Dallas Cowboy Field Hockey" league.

You international folks might use something like your city's soccer team licensing their name to a dart throwing team.

Doesn't that make it easier to see how expanding the use of an iconic name dilutes and devalues it?

Norm

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
Good analogy Norm, Hope you have a great New Year w/ parts for your pony. I got another $1.00 hr raise coming in January so with IRS refund I hope to do shocks & struts plus driveshaft. Cheers to all.
Sponsored