Electric Power Steering (EPS) System for Ford Mustang

Mustangf150

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jacobs
Vehicle(s)
Mustangf150
The slanted-tooth belt within an electric power steering (EPS) system is vital to performance for Ford Mustang. Because the oblique belt helps determine power consumption and driver use. All EPS belts need to do during driving is to transfer torque from the motor to the steering gear.

To supply steering power by an electric motor mounted to one side of the rack driving a ball-screw mechanism through a toothed rubber belt in EPS system configurations with paraxial servo units.

EPS belts are made with a good grade HNBR polymer to prevent environmental contamination and resist oil. So the belt is able to operate under extreme temperature fluctuations without problem.

Advanced engineering gives electric power steering belts unique characteristics. High load capacity, resistance to tooth jump, reduced span vibration, extreme temperature variations, high resistance in the tough working condition, long-lasting performance.
Sponsored

Pace5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
You seem to know a bit about the steering system in our mustangs. What does tooth jump feel like? I'm having issues with my steering feeling notchy. like there's a small resistance I'm having to overcome every time I change steering direction.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
The important question for me is this: Can we tighten the steering ratio more so it's more responsive to inputs?

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
The important question for me is this: Can we tighten the steering ratio more so it's more responsive to inputs?
The only way to do that would be to tap into the EPAS “As Built” using Forscan or an equivalent to Ford’s IDS... Each S550 platform has different EPAS values, which is what the driver feels in feedback and how the steering performs.

I had some input into similar EPAS threads on this a while back, but can’t find them at the moment (prob not hitting correct search terms).

EDIT:
Here’s one of them:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...ategies-calibrations-vbf.112549/#post-2390984
Sponsored