RESONATOR DELETE QUESTION............................

ChuckXX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2020 SHELBY GT 500
I saw a post from a guy over on the Shelby Facebook page that he was going to do a "RESONATOR DELETE" on his new Shelby GT 500. Can I "Please" ask you guys what are the PROS and CONS of doing this??? I want my car to be nice and loud but before I run off and do something I always like to do my research first. I know that many many of you guys are a thousand times more knowledgeable on these cars than me so hoping you can set me straight on this if its something worth doing. He said it will NOT affect the Warranty. MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL OF YOU GUYS (LADIES TOO). PS I have not seen any posts from ladies??? Hmmmm.

TexxasGT350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2018 Rator, 2020 GT500
Post o2 sensor, will not void warranty. Sound is really the only benefit, maybe little HP on boosted applications. Worth it? To me, Yes. Have it on the 350 (corsa double helix) and will be doing it on the 500.

OP
OP

ChuckXX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2020 SHELBY GT 500
Post o2 sensor, will not void warranty. Sound is really the only benefit, maybe little HP on boosted applications. Worth it? To me, Yes. Have it on the 350 (corsa double helix) and will be doing it on the 500.
THANK YOU. Can I assume that it will give it a deeper and more throaty sound without any drones happening???? I appreciate your feedback. Would I also gain a couple of HP???

TexxasGT350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2018 Rator, 2020 GT500
Not sure exact sound it will produce, TBD. HP very minimal without other mods and or tune...

Mulletdaddee72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kody
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, 06 mustang drift car
I saw a post from a guy over on the Shelby Facebook page that he was going to do a "RESONATOR DELETE" on his new Shelby GT 500. Can I "Please" ask you guys what are the PROS and CONS of doing this??? I want my car to be nice and loud but before I run off and do something I always like to do my research first. I know that many many of you guys are a thousand times more knowledgeable on these cars than me so hoping you can set me straight on this if its something worth doing. He said it will NOT affect the Warranty. MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL OF YOU GUYS (LADIES TOO). PS I have not seen any posts from ladies??? Hmmmm.
Lol I’m pretty sure it’s me you’re referring to from fb, it’s pretty common knowledge in the gt350 community that doing a resonator delete won’t affect warranty do to it having no effect on the engine, only more pops and crackles.

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
You lose 25 pounds and add on about 8 pounds and a little more noise.

I like it.

CVCashmere

LethalPerformance

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 CFTP, 2021 Whipple'd F150
OP
OP

ChuckXX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2020 SHELBY GT 500
The pros are that you'll cut some weight and improver the sound of the car. Don't see any real cons as removing the resonators don't affect the warranty at all nor will it hurt the car in any way.

We've got T304 stainless steel resonator deletes available so let us know if there's anything we can help you with.
https://www.lethalperformance.com/l...-stainless-steel-resonator-delete-x-pipe.html
p1100027_1.jpg
THANK YOU--I just wrote down both of your phone numbers off of your website. Question for YOU??? What is with the cancer warning on your site?????

LethalPerformance

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
THANK YOU--I just wrote down both of your phone numbers off of your website. Question for YOU??? What is with the cancer warning on your site?????
The Prop 65 warning we have the communist state of California to thank for that. Basically everything needs a warning label on it. You can read more about it here.
https://www.p65warnings.ca.gov/

Kimbo510

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Only negative is if your local tracks have noise restrictions. On my resonator deleted GT350 I got noise warnings at both Sonoma and Laguna Seca.

Evil_E

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R KR293
Saves a little weight is a fact. Sounds better is in the ear of the beholder. Stating that it sounds better is just a sales pitch, no real fact to that.

LethalPerformance

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Saves a little weight is a fact. Sounds better is in the ear of the beholder. Stating that it sounds better is just a sales pitch, no real fact to that.
In my opinion doing the delete makes it sound better. Same for the GT350 guys that want their non R's to sound more like an R. There's definitely a big difference in exhaust tone/note when doing the res delete.

mmm635

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350R
THANK YOU. Can I assume that it will give it a deeper and more throaty sound without any drones happening???? I appreciate your feedback. Would I also gain a couple of HP???
Here are a couple of videos I recorded on the same road before and after the resonator delete on my '16 GT350. This might give you a better idea of what the delete does.

Before

After

In my opinion doing the delete makes it sound better. Same for the GT350 guys that want their non R's to sound more like an R. There's definitely a big difference in exhaust tone/note when doing the res delete.
I agree!

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
I can say that a resonator delete (as included in a Borla exhaust kit) helped to deliver a deeper tone on my GT350 that while a bit louder, was in no way obtrusive. It would make sense that the GT500 would react in similar fashion, even with the stock mufflers in place.

From a visual perspective, Lethal's resonator delete pipe looks to have nice, clean, bends/crimps. The stock system is 409 stainless so a 304 section of pipe is always an improvement in terms of corrosion (however slight) and aesthetic appearance. The only thing I can think of that I'd like to see would be a shield tacked onto the pipe that provides the same coverage in terms of heat mitigation that the stock pipes do. Note the shield in place around the resonators on the stock pipes...

2020-Shelby-GT500-with-Underbody-SEMA-2019-50.jpg

Technically, one could argue that the increased OD of the resonators themselves places them in closer proximity to the CF driveshaft, thus necessitating a shield. And that the smaller OD of the delete pipes means convective heat is somehow reduced via increased clearance between the pipes and the driveshaft. Temperature readings of the pipes/resonators would be interesting to see as I'd assume that there is a slight decrease in temperature with a delete pipe. Just a WAG, no data here.

LethalPerformance

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I can say that a resonator delete (as included in a Borla exhaust kit) helped to deliver a deeper tone on my GT350 that while a bit louder, was in no way obtrusive. It would make sense that the GT500 would react in similar fashion, even with the stock mufflers in place.

From a visual perspective, Lethal's resonator delete pipe looks to have nice, clean, bends/crimps. The stock system is 409 stainless so a 304 section of pipe is always an improvement in terms of corrosion (however slight) and aesthetic appearance. The only thing I can think of that I'd like to see would be a shield tacked onto the pipe that provides the same coverage in terms of heat mitigation that the stock pipes do. Note the shield in place around the resonators on the stock pipes...

2020-Shelby-GT500-with-Underbody-SEMA-2019-50.jpg

Technically, one could argue that the increased OD of the resonators themselves places them in closer proximity to the CF driveshaft, thus necessitating a shield. And that the smaller OD of the delete pipes means convective heat is somehow reduced via increased clearance between the pipes and the driveshaft. Temperature readings of the pipes/resonators would be interesting to see as I'd assume that there is a slight decrease in temperature with a delete pipe. Just a WAG, no data here.
I personally don't think heat shields are necessary on the resonator delete. We've been selling them for the GT and GT350 for the last 5 years and never had an issue. Keep in mind we've also run 3" systems on our cars making well into the 1000rwhp range using CF driveshafts and also have never seen anything negative come of it.

The main concern I'd have with the stock exhaust on the GT500 would be the cats. Cats in general don't like heat especially in boosted applications. Lund Racing recorded some wicked high cat temps on their car before going to our race pipes. Now I don't believe the resonators see temps like that as they're free flowing and further down the line but I'd keep an eye on the factory cats especially if you're going to turn the power up from stock levels.