Sponsored

Any obtainable HP(for me) left on the table?

Slater_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2019 Cali, 2016 GT premium
Any of you guys try o2 restrictors for the rear sensors? Might be worth a shot for me. They never look at my cars, just plug them in.

https://www.amazon.com/Vibrant-11619-J-Style-Restrictor-Adjustable/dp/B00AQ7972O
If they don't look, run a set of catted long tubes with a good tune. As long as they are catted, there is no reason to turn off the rear o2 sensors, like most tuners do. Unless CT has something crazy going on that I don't know about, there should be no issues.:cheers:
Sponsored

2015 Silver GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT Premium
If they don't look, run a set of catted long tubes with a good tune. As long as they are catted, there is no reason to turn off the rear o2 sensors, like most tuners do.
That's not going to work. Aftermarket cats have lower cell counts and will trigger a CEL.

Slater_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2019 Cali, 2016 GT premium
That's not going to work. Aftermarket cats have lower cell counts and will trigger a CEL.
Not sure about that. My 13 has Kooks catted long tubes and I pass emissions testing every year here in Texas with a VMP tune. All monitors set to ready and zero issues.

EDIT: Maybe because the Kooks are 3/4 length headers compared to the rest of the market but I still have yet to have any issues.

stage3s4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, PP, CO
If they don't look, run a set of catted long tubes with a good tune. As long as they are catted, there is no reason to turn off the rear o2 sensors, like most tuners do. Unless CT has something crazy going on that I don't know about, there should be no issues.:cheers:
This will not work. First the aftermarket cats are usually high flow with a lower cell count. 2nd, the placement of the aftermarket cats in the exhaust stream makes it difficult to reach the correct temperature to pass inspection. This is the reason the stock cats are placed so close to the engine.

You should be able to remove the rear o2s and have readiness set with an aftermarket tune. Or you could use an o2 spacer that was linked earlier. I have seen this work in NY before.

OP
OP
SVT-DADDY

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I wonder if those restrictors I linked will solve for that?

Sponsored

2015 Silver GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT Premium
I wonder if those restrictors I linked will solve for that?
If you mean the o2 spacers possibly. But often times they won't throw a CEL but also won't allow the readiness test to complete.

CT has adapted California emission testing meaning it's very difficult. I had ARH that were catted on my 2011 GT and could not get the car to pass. My registration was up and I couldn't renew it until I passed emissions. I gave up, put the car back to stoc and then sold it.

Kahboom

Kahboom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, Recaros/2014 Explorer Sport 4X4
I have O2 foulers, before I got tuned I put them in and I have 200 cell magna flow cats. Dorman part # 42009. Drilled out one set with 1/2" drill bit, put downstream sensor in them then the second set you install on top of then install in the pipe. I drove around for close to 4k with no issues or check engine lights. Didn't get a tune till I got the boss manifold, but mine are still not turned off and I have no issues and no not ready codes and I've been tuned for another 3k.

OP
OP
SVT-DADDY

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
If you mean the o2 spacers possibly. But often times they won't throw a CEL but also won't allow the readiness test to complete.

CT has adapted California emission testing meaning it's very difficult. I had ARH that were catted on my 2011 GT and could not get the car to pass. My registration was up and I couldn't renew it until I passed emissions. I gave up, put the car back to stoc and then sold it.
That sucks. Did you end up going to Janetty's last Saturday?

I have O2 foulers, before I got tuned I put them in and I have 200 cell magna flow cats. Dorman part # 42009. Drilled out one set with 1/2" drill bit, put downstream sensor in them then the second set you install on top of then install in the pipe. I drove around for close to 4k with no issues or check engine lights. Didn't get a tune till I got the boss manifold, but mine are still not turned off and I have no issues and no not ready codes and I've been tuned for another 3k.
Sounds like it might be worth trying. If I have to re do the headers I have 3 years to do it anyway.

Kahboom

Kahboom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
States that adopt California emissions won't pass with long tubes, pushes cats too far down and first O2 sensors are too far down. Especially on start up emissions are off for the cats with long tubes.

roger1981

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
roger
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang pp whipple
Yes as claimed it's 3-5hp difference between kooks 1 7/8" short tubes with 3" connect cat delete vs 1 7/8" long tube. It's a nice bump in power. Sounds like long tubes and feels the same. Stock headers are restrictive. If I lived in a state where I didn't have emissions to worry about I would just do long tubes. Kooks also coated them for free when I got the headers. I did have to get engine mounts to lower the engine to make them fit the driver side one tube goes around the steering shaft. It was worth the effort to get them.
how much did you have to lower engine to get those kooks headers to fit and is the cat to header mount location in the same spot

Sponsored

Kahboom

Kahboom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1/4" drop plus notched k member slightly with a sawzall on the driver side, if you have an aftermarket k member I don't think you would need to do anything but slightly lower it 1/4"

roger1981

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
roger
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang pp whipple
1/4" drop plus notched k member slightly with a sawzall on the driver side, if you have an aftermarket k member I don't think you would need to do anything but slightly lower it 1/4"
would mak cat delete pipes fit or would i have to do a custom setup and would the stock cat midpipe bolt back up when inspection time comes if i weld on a flange.

roger1981

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
roger
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang pp whipple
the passenger bolts up with no other modifications??

Kahboom

Kahboom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cat deletes would work, passenger side flange might need to be cut and re-welded depending on if it lines up with the header, assuming the flange is in the same spot as 11-14 headers you are good to go.

Snake Plissken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Stock headers are restrictive.
This is untrue. The factory-stock Coyote "shortie" headers prior to the cats are quite good. Think about it..., FORD spends tens-of-millions of dollars on R&D developing their powerplant combos; do you really think they are going to pour millions of dollars into developing cylinder heads, cams, VVCT systems, et cetera and leave HP on the table by designing a restrictive "shortie" header? No.

Need proof of this. The new GT500 uses essentially the same factory-stock "shortie" header with which our cars come equipped!

The restriction of the stock headers comes in the form of the cats. There are a lot of 700-800 hp, boosted coyotes running around on the stock headers + cat-deletes. Plus MAK cat-deletes solves your problems by giving you a somewhat easy solution to dealing with the emissions BS every two years. The MAK cat-deletes will let you put the factory cats back on the car in about half an hour when it comes time for the CT gub'ment to give you their bi-yearly blessing.

Thankfully, I still live in a free State and don't have to deal with that BS.
Sponsored