Sponsored

Is the GT premium worth it over the stock GT

Phxrider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Eco
Was wondering if the premium is worth it over the stock GT? Asking owners who maybe owned both, or if anyone wished they had ordered the premium. Is the sound system and seats that much better? , is all the adjustable ride, steering etc really used?
Sponsored

5ohdaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Was wondering if the premium is worth it over the stock GT? Asking owners who maybe owned both, or if anyone wished they had ordered the premium. Is the sound system and seats that much better? , is all the adjustable ride, steering etc really used?
Nope. Stereo is the same as many of my friends with base GTs. As for the seats, that’s just personal preference and needs. I don’t need leather, but it looks cool and makes my car feel more “upscale” but do either of those really matter to me? Not really.

Save some cash and get a base. Then if you feel you’re still desiring the stereo and/or seats, aftermarket. Better quality out there for those things anyway.

AnalogDan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT – 6MT, 401A
I think it is. But it depends on how you're shopping.

I cross-shopped new base model GTs with used premium GTs and ended up finding a CPO GT Premium that was almost fully loaded for a great price.

The center screen on the base Mustangs looks like an outdated toy. It's really unfortunate looking. Meanwhile I got a digital dash, climate controlled seats, safe and smart package, red leather, interior lighting, etc. for considerably less than the price of a base GT MSRP, only because someone else drove it for 4k miles.

Shop around.

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
well considering I started a whole thread bitching about the "premium" stereo LOL. that part nope not worth it. as for seats preference. I love mine and yes I personally use all the little switches and modes all the time. I feel it is worth the money more than the performance pack is. My buddy got the performance pack and I got the premium without it. and he says he wishes he hadn't spent the money on the performance pack. We drive each others cars all the time and you seriously can't really tell any difference for the 4k. Maybe if you race ??? on a track there is but if your car is a daily dont waste money on a PP car just get the premium it feels very upscale.

CrackedHorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 Mustang GT/CS; 15 Mustang GT
I looked at a few s550's before I bought my base model. In my area of the world a comparable premium package GT would cost me $4k-$6k more.

For me it works well. I'm a bit of an audiophile so speakers will be swapped out. I prefer leather by a small margin but my wife doesn't. Additional stuff like hood scoops, vents, and striping is individual but also can attract unwanted attention and again is easily changed.

I purchased my S550 for the motor so my experience may differ. I looked at how much more every place was asking for the optioned out cars and thought to myself that I can go FI on a base model for the same money.

I can tell you I traded in a low mile and clean S197 CS/GT with basically every option available. My trade in value was WAY higher because of that. However, I don't miss any of the options it had on a day to day basis except for the shaker system but speakers are easily (and cheaply) replaced.

Sponsored

Wolvee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Base models weigh less.

I bought a Base model with the PP and while I love my car, I also 0wn a '19 Explorer Platinum and I hate that my mustang feels like a poor mans car. If I would have done more research, I would have gone for a premium without PP.

Now I'm sitting with my semi new car with a complete chassis/suspension, built trans and lots of other mods thinking if it's worth it to buy a premium. If I buy a new car, I can't buy a blower right away where as if I keep my car, I'll be making 850rw by April.

Buy the most you can afford the first time.

..First world problems. :) Merry Christmas

fiveoboy01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT 400A
100% personal preference.

I like bells and whistles and "fancier" things so I went with a 400A car. Of course, it costs more. Only you can decide if it's worth the extra money.

MegaG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson Mustang GT A10 Base
As already mentioned its a very personal choice.

There are times I wish I had the premium's larger screen and the toggle switches maybe even electronic BSM but price and CPO were higher priorities for me. I'm sure I would have enjoyed the drive modes but there's isn't anything I don't enjoy about base's drive mode. If you plan on taking yours to the drag strip, road course, or deal with very wet or icy roads I would get the premium.

To be fair, I was trying to find a premium GT, no PP, but couldn't find one near my price range without way too many miles. My number one requirement was CPO, then I came across a GT Base in Royal Crimson Metallic and couldn't get over how much I liked the color and the price couldn't be beat. Prices tend to run higher in Cali and there wasn't much GT CPO inventory to be had, even less in my preferred colors, when I bought mine or for some time after as I kept an eye on the market. There were Ecoboost everywhere though. I didn't want to risk dragging it out 3 to 9 months waiting for the right premium and risk something else coming up that redirected my funds. It worked out for me because I have been having a blast running the car around town and tinkering on it.

I am upgrading my stereo system and will end up with something far better then any of the premium packages stereo upgrades. I will also being using the money I saved for some good paint correction and ceramic. There wasn't a used Mustang I saw that didn't need paint correction. If the misses didn't have a medical condition aggravated by stiffer rides, I would have started a major Steeda Suspension overhaul but that's more about PP versus Base/Premium discussion. I have been watching the premium dash and screen pull outs from auto recyclers and the cost may be a far better option then some of the after market retail options even after adding in a wiring harness. The better complete after market kits are pricey enough that you may as well put that $ towards getting the premium from the get go if the screen size, toggle switches, and drive modes matter that much to you.

torqued

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
What the Premium has over a 301A base is just fluff. Unnecessary lighting accessories like ambient lighting, pony projection lights, and illuminated door sills, and silly creature comforts like heated seats, mirrors, and optionally the steering wheel ffs.

I could've gotten every option I ordered in a 301A base except the B&O sound. But I wanted all that lighting stuff.

And I wanted tan seats, and they're not offered in cloth. But the leather seats aren't very comfortable.

The Premium gets you the ability to add the digital dash, if that's your sort of thing.

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
This question has been asked and answered many times over the past five years. People have “their” own thoughts based on “their” wants and needs. No one here knows what you want.
So presuming you can afford the premium go to a dealer, look at the both, and drive them both.
Figure out what you like and what you don’t. Then buy what speaks to you.

Happy Holidays.................

Rock&Roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Stick- 2022 VW GTI Stick -2011 HD Fatboy
V8 and Premium with a Stick was a must for me.
Cant get Apple CarPlay in the Non Premium.
I love Waze for road trips. Gives you something to do :sunglasses:

Last edited:

SAL-E

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Ruby Red
Premium for me!! This is a road car for me, and all of the Premium features make it very enjoyable. Also, wife demands leather seats. As many others have said, it is a purely personal preference. The car runs well either way.
Sponsored