Sponsored

Stock 4S’s for Year Round Driving.

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Any of you guys running the stock PP1 Michelin’s live somewhere with four typical seasons? How do they do, minus any snow/winter roads? How are they on cold wet roads? Better than say a PSS? Live in St Louis if it helps.
Sponsored

ElCid08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Swapped mine for all-seasons. Drove with them a few mornings right around freezing temp . Noticeably less traction, and increased road noise. You could feel how hard the compound gets in the cold. My 19 pp1 is my daily, and the upcoming mornings when it will be in the 20's, and potential rain/sleet/ice helped me make my decision. Isn't worth putting yourself in a potentially dangerous situation. No experience with PSS's but hope this helps you a bit.

OP
OP

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Yea, I was trying to see if it was comparable. PSS's were...not great in the cold, but I would not label them as dangerous. Never drove them in the cold AND wet, but I'm sure that would have the potential to be different. I would have a set of AS tires I could swap to for crap weather, worst case.

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Cold above 30 is not too bad.

35 and raining is terrible.

Below 30 is not good for the tire.

Phatpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
I had my '19 PP1 for 1week, got a cold snap down into the 30's and I promptly replaced the tires for something all season. I'll put the MP4s back on for the spring and summer. No way I will run these in the winter.

Sponsored

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
I switched to the PS3+ A/S tires

obgod3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT, PP1, 401A, A10
been running mine here in NC, some cold mornings, today was 28, I just drove it like a regular old car and no issues. I can tell if I get on it the tires break easier, I dont drive it in the rain - got a truck for that. I would not drive it in snow or ice. I think it all depends on how you drive it.

PoppinJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
I live in Texas and its my second vehicle soooo... I drove them once when it was 20 outside. Bad idea. They have ZERO traction, like, spin the tires from a stoplight on accident light throttle. I do leave them on year round but only because I have very few times I have to drive it below freezing.

jmeiers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1/401A/A10
Vehicle Showcase
Drove to work today in 20 degrees (real feel was 11 degrees). No issues. Just leave it in Normal mode and don't stomp on it. I only drive my Mustang in dry weather and I have a Toyota Corolla for any precipitation.

The steering wheel and ass heaters are the best. How could you not drive this car in cold weather?

Darkstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 Oxford White.
I had my PS4's on from late Feb last year until today. The compound really hardens up below 32 and you have to be more careful in the wet. I didn't really have any problems but they don't inspire confidence like they do when it's warm. They are pretty much useless in the snow.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Live in St Louis if it helps.
where you get some honest cold. Tires are CHEAP. Why would you risk a multi-thousand dollar repair bill because the tires (the only source of friction you have) couldn't do their job when you needed them to?

I tried my hand at the PS4S when it was 32 out. 1/8" of snow (heavy dusting) and could barely get up the small slope of the parking lot. They did better a few miles down the road (did some brake checks) but I made damn sure I kept a very healthy stopping distance till I could get home.

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
I got a surprise yesterday with my MPSS rears...broke lose on entering traffic while turning and provided quite a show. lol
I guess traction control doesn't prevent that.

Last edited:

SiddVicious

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 Kona Blue
I'm from Vegas and I'm using the 4S through all the seasons. The temperatures in the winter usually don't dip below 30s, I asked this question on the forum awhile back and someone mentioned putting a little more air in the tires (i filled mine to 34 psi). It helps a bunch in terms of feeling confident while driving, seems to keep the heat in the tires better.

Dano

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I live in Colorado. As long as you are guaranteed dry pavement, you're ok. Got my GT PP1 last February and I have driven the 4Ss in 20 degree temps with no problems. I did worry about the tires cracking, and I worried that an unexpected winter blast would leave me in a tight spot. So I just recently put on Michelin AS3 +. Those tires are awesome! Now I don't worry about what the weather does. I still won't drive the mustang if it is snowy or otherwise sloppy. I just don't want to get it that dirty. The 4Ss will go back on in May.

GUSTOPP2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I am in Texas and have them on my PP2. They are amazing compared to the cup2's(shocker). Just don't mash the throttle and you will be fine. I have had no issues in rain and or cold(well in the 30's cold).
Sponsored