Sponsored

Track True Coilover spring rates

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I'm going to just throw out: 550 front, 980 rear wheel rate. ;)
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I'm going to just throw out: 550 front, 980 rear wheel rate. ;)
980 wheel rate would be absolutely nuts. Might as well not even have springs. That's the equivalent of over 4000 lb/in in the stock spring location.

Last edited:

jdub.csu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP
I'm going with 650 front and 1440 rear springs. We will see how that goes

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
980 wheel rate would be absolutely nuts. Might as well not even have springs. That's the equivalent of over 4000 lb/in in the stock spring location.
We're talking about a true coilover so... 1:1 basically.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
We're talking about a true coilover so... 1:1 basically.
No, that's not how that works. The motion ratio at the shock is ~0.75, so that would still be about a 1740 lb/in at the coilover/shock location, and as I said, the equivalent of putting a 4000 lb/in spring at the stock location. Wheel rate is effective rate at the tire.

Sponsored

spiller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3
I currently have BMR Handling with Ford Racing track suspension which has me at 300lbs front and 980 rear. I have this paired with the FR sway bars and the car still feels far too soft to me. Feels like the chassis could easily take another 50% increase in spring rate. My main gripe is the feeling of the rear squatting under power. Linear weight shift is very apparent and it's not enjoyable. Would this be more due to the under dampened shocks or the spring rates?

Looking at going to coilovers (but maintaining the OEM inboard rear spring location) and was thinking of 450 lbs front and 1150 lbs in the rear. What are peoples thoughts on this matched with an adjustable damper for a dual use car?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I currently have BMR Handling with Ford Racing track suspension which has me at 300lbs front and 980 rear. I have this paired with the FR sway bars and the car still feels far too soft to me. Feels like the chassis could easily take another 50% increase in spring rate. My main gripe is the feeling of the rear squatting under power. Linear weight shift is very apparent and it's not enjoyable. Would this be more due to the under dampened shocks or the spring rates?

Looking at going to coilovers (but maintaining the OEM inboard rear spring location) and was thinking of 450 lbs front and 1150 lbs in the rear. What are peoples thoughts on this matched with an adjustable damper for a dual use car?
Not horrible, but approaching...

VIjCVwX.jpg

spiller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3
Not horrible, but approaching...

VIjCVwX.jpg
It seems the behavior of the rear is more affected by shock dampening as opposed to the spring rate? 980 spring is quite heavy so would expect less squat than I have if this were not the case...

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
That's great news as I had no idea! Thanks for passing along the info Eric. I will be contacting them today to get a price an more info. :cheers:

Your car looks great, by the way. I would like to go all out like that, but I do drive mine on the street as a second car and need to find a balance between the track and some comfort on the street.
Bumping this with some tid bits you may be interested in.

1. You can flip the L and R struts to move the swaybar mount to the front in order to use stiffer bar settings.

2. Camber plates. I'm going to try adapting Pedders camber plates. The reason is: you can leave your camber settings even when changing springs. Just have to get the ride height the same and your alignment won't be affected. How: the thread for the Pedders is M14. Ridetech is 9/16"....just slightly bigger. I'll test fit before, but my plan is to drill out the spring perch adapter of the Pedders plate that goes into its top bearing from 14 mm to 9/16".
Sponsored