Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Looking back over 2019, I came to the realization that the greatest thing about the automotive industry is the people. Cars are cool and awesome to look at and building our Signature Wheels for them is a delight. Yet, the onslaught of social media outlets like Facebook, Instagram, forums, and online magazines give you an endless consumption of visual delights. After a while you get a little desensitized to it all, and never get to make connections with the people who build them it. To that end, I happily introduce you to Curtis Heidel (IG @EIGHTLUG) of Archetype Racing.

The more I talked to Curtis over the months of working with him on a set of wheels I realized his brain worked in a different way. Discussions about his aerodynamic and carbon fiber components dug much deeper than I was used too. Learning about his background in military aerospace engineering, I decided this was a time to shut, listen, and take notes. I love creative writing, but on this occasion there is value in reading the words as Curtis wrote them.

The Evolution was Inevitable

The purchase of my ’16 GT350 spawned from the desire to commute in something fun. At the time, the GT350 really wasn’t on my radar. I really had my eyes on placing an order on a Stealth Grey Focus RS. Still fun and more practical, I guess. Easier to park in Seattle. Marginally less rowdy. When it came down to it, dealers in the area weren’t budging on their ADM. I began looking for alternatives in the same price range. That’s when I stumbled upon “Skunkie.” Only one of two preowned GT350s in a 500 mile radius for sale. 1 Year old, 4,080 mile Tech Pack, Shadow Black, white stripes, price was right, let’s go!

I didn’t have the GT350 for more than a month, when I ran into a guy at the office that tracked his M2 with the local BMW Club. He was an instructor and invited me out for a Car Control Course Day. and the next month’s event was a track day at Pacific Raceways and I was hooked. The main drawback was only being able to go hard for about fifteen minutes, until limp mode reared its ugly head. Mods began with swift ferocity.

I pulled the fascia, to get a better handle on what space I had to work with. Installed a Ford Performance heat exchanger for the transmission and fabricated all of my own braided AN hoses. Remote mounted the TurboWerx high performance pump, and also replaced the OEM oil cooler lines with braided AN. Filled the system with AMSOIL synthetic fluid and limp mode was a distant memory.

In the off season, I installed a Competition Motorsports Docol R8 half cage, SPARCO Circuit II full containment driver’s seat, and EVO II passenger seat, with SPARCO six-point harnesses. It was so much easier to drive the car faster in that seat. More speed inevitably equaled more stop needed.

Track pads, along with braided steel brake lines and MOTUL 660 fluid was next up. Always trying to keep the car in performance balance was the game. Now that I could stop considerably better and more consistently meant I could push harder and brake later into the turns. What is next you might ask? More aero.

This is where everything changed. Prior to this, I was able to jump online and place an order for “X” performance part. Now, if you wanted to increase down force on your GT350, your choices were limited. Limited and pretty costly. What was available was either Mickey Mouse or far too costly for the weekend warrior to justify the cost. My aim was to provide CFD GT350 (to begin with) aero components that are functional, maintain the highest quality, and at a price that just makes sense. I put my degree in Aerospace Engineering to work and Archetype Racing Industries LLC was born.

Now, when people ask “Where did you buy those canards?” or “What splitter is that? It’s awesome! That’s carbon fiber?!” I can say “Those are mine.” and tell them the story.

Modification List

Suspension
  • Signature Wheel Track Series SV503 Matte Bronze
  • Titanium Lug nuts
  • Eibach Adjustable Sway Bars Front and Rear
  • Steeda Rear Subframe Braces
  • Ford Performance Lowering Springs
  • Maximum Motorsports Camber/Caster Plates
  • Track Spec Alignment performed by Brad’s Custom Auto (0 toe/-2.7front -2.4 rear)
Braking
  • Pagid RST3 pads
  • MOTUL RBF 660
  • Full Tilt Boogie Stainless Braided Brake Lines
  • Caliperfexion Caliper Studs
Interior
  • Competition Motorsports Half Cage
  • SPARCO CIRCUIT II
  • SPARCO EVO II
  • SPARCO 6 Pt Harnesses
  • Raceseng Ashiko Shift Knob
  • Raceseng Billet Reverse Lockout
  • SRP Racing Pedals
  • Steeda Clutch Pedal Spring
  • AIM Solo 2 GPS Lap Timer
Exterior
  • Archetype Racing Evolution Front Splitter with Wheel Wickers
  • Fully Torqued Racing Carbon Fiber Support Rods
  • Archetype Racing Vengeance Track Spec Carbon Fiber Canards
  • APR GT250 Carbon Fiber Rear Wing
  • Archetype Racing Paladin Carbon Fiber Wing End Plates
  • Bemaro Specialty Film Vinyl
Photo Credit Woyshins Media

SV503-Matte-Bronze-Eightlug-15.jpg
SV503-Matte-Bronze-Eightlug-16.jpg
SV503-Matte-Bronze-Eightlug-17.jpg
SV503-Matte-Bronze-Eightlug-18.jpg
SV503-Matte-Bronze-Eightlug-19.jpg
SV503-Matte-Bronze-Eightlug-20.jpg
SV503-Matte-Bronze-Eightlug-21.jpg
SV503-Matte-Bronze-Eightlug-22.jpg
SV503-Matte-Bronze-Eightlug-23.jpg
SV503-Matte-Bronze-Eightlug-24.jpg
SV503-Matte-Bronze-Eightlug-25.jpg
SV503-Matte-Bronze-Eightlug-26.jpg
SV503-Matte-Bronze-Eightlug-27.jpg
SV503-Matte-Bronze-Eightlug-28.jpg
SV503-Matte-Bronze-Eightlug-29.jpg

As always you can see more of our Siganature Wheel builds in the google album: https://photos.app.goo.gl/qBHDLwf5bI6kFYRK2

Swing by the Archetype Racing website for ways to improve your aerodynamics: https://www.archetyperacing.com/
Sponsored

Last edited:

Tonymustang302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Turbo GT, 2019 GT350 racecar, 2021 GT500
Can't wait for My front splitter to get here from archetype.

EIGHTLUG

Instagram @eightlug
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
@Tonymustang302 it'll be shipping after Christmas.

And for everyone's awareness, Archetype Racing offers a FP350S style Front Splitter called the Track Brawler. This splitter is designed to be used on with a standard GT350 without that pricey plastic 'R' splitter. So you essentially have the same aero increase and appearance of the FP350S, without having to drop the money on the 'R' splitter to make it work. There is also a splitter extension that integrates with the front splitter and ties the aero back to the side splitters.
GT350 Standard.JPG

Sponsored

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
@Tonymustang302 it'll be shipping after Christmas.

And for everyone's awareness, Archetype Racing offers a FP350S style Front Splitter called the Track Brawler. This splitter is designed to be used on with a standard GT350 without that pricey plastic 'R' splitter. So you essentially have the same aero increase and appearance of the FP350S, without having to drop the money on the 'R' splitter to make it work. There is also a splitter extension that integrates with the front splitter and ties the aero back to the side splitters.
GT350 Standard.JPG
Absolutely beautiful car. I love it, and the splitter. I've always loved front splitters but the ones previous to this one were possibly just for aesthetics with no proven performance benefits.

Sponsored

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
So, how many have access to a wind tunnel? :)

Tonymustang302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Turbo GT, 2019 GT350 racecar, 2021 GT500

EIGHTLUG

Instagram @eightlug
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
So, how many have access to a wind tunnel? :)
@svttim All of the aero parts I offer are CFD. They are also designed to be optimized to work in concert with each other. The final major component, the rear diffuser, is in development now. So, once the front splitter, canards, splitter extension, rear wing, and rear diffuser are all on a car, it will be absolutely weapons grade.

*The preferred wing to run is the APR GT250 with a pair of Archetype Racing Wing End Plates.*