Sponsored

Last year for V8 2024 (and Mach-E discussion) via Ford Performance conference call

Sigma6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
02’ 360, 06’ GT, 11’ GT500, 15’ 911, 17’ 350
I spoke with my friend yesterday while I was in the mothership aka Dearborn. Mustang is becoming a brand within the Ford Company. Will be similar to what Lincoln is. Mustang sports car, Mach E suv is just the 1st two in an expanding lineup than is slowly being rolled out. Stay tuned :)
Sponsored

nrc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EB PP
I spoke with my friend yesterday while I was in the mothership aka Dearborn. Mustang is becoming a brand within the Ford Company. Will be similar to what Lincoln is. Mustang sports car, Mach E suv is just the 1st two in an expanding lineup than is slowly being rolled out. Stay tuned :)
Just like Lincoln? A third rate nameplate continuously fighting for survival? Lincoln is a joke. Mustang will be a joke.

Sigma6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
02’ 360, 06’ GT, 11’ GT500, 15’ 911, 17’ 350
Just like Lincoln? A third rate nameplate continuously fighting for survival? Lincoln is a joke. Mustang will be a joke.
fords 3rd nameplate: Mustang

nrc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EB PP
fords 3rd nameplate: Mustang
NĂ©e Mercury. Dumb and dumber. This company is going straight to hell in a hand basket.

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
I was told the opposite

Sponsored

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Are they saying every vehicle they produce would either be a hybrid or EV or are they saying that every model would have a hybrid or EV choice?
In the short term the first thing you said. In the long term, the second thing you said. They already have the engine and hybrid system portfolio. Now they are just rolling them out with vehicle majors. Notice that all new vehicle programs are either 48V mild hybrid or PHEV. They even converted the 4.0TT in the GLS to be 48V mild hybrid. Don't be surprised to see everything with a 4.0TT get 48V mHEV when they have their next vehicle majors. That would include all things AMG. Their EV portfolio will be completely separate vehicles built on skateboard chassis with EQ nameplates. For example, the new GLC compact utility is either 2.0T 48V mHEV or 3.0TT 48V mHEV. They also have the EQC battery electric compact utility. Similar size and shape as the GLC, but built on a skateboard, not on the Mercedes GLC chassis.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
In the short term the first thing you said. In the long term, the second thing you said. They already have the engine and hybrid system portfolio. Now they are just rolling them out with vehicle majors. Notice that all new vehicle programs are either 48V mild hybrid or PHEV. They even converted the 4.0TT in the GLS to be 48V mild hybrid. Don't be surprised to see everything with a 4.0TT get 48V mHEV when they have their next vehicle majors. That would include all things AMG. Their EV portfolio will be completely separate vehicles built on skateboard chassis with EQ nameplates. For example, the new GLC compact utility is either 2.0T 48V mHEV or 3.0TT 48V mHEV. They also have the EQC battery electric compact utility. Similar size and shape as the GLC, but built on a skateboard, not on the Mercedes GLC chassis.
Hmm..... Mustang GT mild hybrid with electrified 10 speed on modified S550 (small battery under trunk floor) and Mustang GTE full EV on Mach E platform....

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I think you meant to answer my question differently. No way they will only be making EV/hybrids only in the short term. I am guessing you meant that some models will have a hybrid choice and eventually all the models will have a hybrid choice. Long term would be only hybrids/EV's, but that is probably 10 years away.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
I think you meant to answer my question differently. No way they will only be making EV/hybrids only in the short term. I am guessing you meant that some models will have a hybrid choice and eventually all the models will have a hybrid choice. Long term would be only hybrids/EV's, but that is probably 10 years away.
It is VERY easy to make a 48v mild hybrid setup.... Small battery, small motor that can also act as a starter/alternator, helps out a bit in the power department (mostly to fill gaps in torque or turbo lag), and qualifies as a "Hybrid".

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I meant it exactly as I said it. Go to mbusa.com and build an E-Class or C-Class. Maybe S-Class too (I don't remember and I'm watching Buffalo vs New England so not a priority :handsinair:) All your choices are mild hybrid EXCEPT AMG. And that's coming based on the 4.0TT in the GLS now having 48V mHEV.

Sponsored

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I meant it exactly as I said it. Go to mbusa.com and build an E-Class or C-Class. Maybe S-Class too (I don't remember and I'm watching Buffalo vs New England so not a priority :handsinair:) All your choices are mild hybrid EXCEPT AMG. And that's coming based on the 4.0TT in the GLS now having 48V mHEV.
I feel sorry for you if you like either of those teams!! LOL

I looked at the E class and only the AMG model can be hybrid, not the two regular models. I looked at a couple others and the only other model is the GLC 350e. So pretty sure it is not what you said. Maybe next years models will all have an option for a hybrid?

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I feel sorry for you if you like either of those teams!! LOL

I looked at the E class and only the AMG model can be hybrid, not the two regular models. I looked at a couple others and the only other model is the GLC 350e. So pretty sure it is not what you said. Maybe next years models will all have an option for a hybrid?
Maybe it is next year. I'm going by what I remember putting in my forecast. When they make the change, they're making it a wholesale change for each model. They've already made most of the changes for Europe, which makes sense since fuel economy regs are much tougher there.

https://www.forcegt.com/news/2019-mercedes-benz-c-class-updated-with-mild-hybrid-tech/
https://www.enginetechnologyinterna...el-powertrains-to-e-class-and-cls-ranges.html

This Autoweek article from 2017 starts to outline where M-B is going with this. The primary reason for going away from a recently upgrade V6 engine to an all new inline 6 is the ability to commonize design and manufacture of gas and diesel 4 and 6 cylinder engines and apply 48V technology to all of them.

https://autoweek.com/article/techno...-matters-even-if-no-one-sure-when-well-see-it

Bullit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus Ct200
Will introduce the new Mustang in Spring 2020? A restyling or all new?

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Much quicker than that. MB have already said they are not developing any new ICEs as is the case with most Euro car makers. Volvo say every model in the their range will be hybrid / EV by next year. We have a ban on ICE sales by 2030 in Europe as mentioned before, so most makers will be ahead of the game if they can. It is such a long lead in on platforms and propulsion units that they need to get on with it. It isn't just a case of having some EV's available by 2030 they need to have everything by then. So a car being designed in the next two or three years could feasibly still be in production by 2030 at the end of it's model run.

Not just that, the 95g/km regulation comes in next year and that is tough to achieve without a hybrid at least.

It is inconceivable that Ford will sell the V8 Mustang in Europe for much longer because of the effect it has on average CO2 for them.

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-news/industry-news/co2-emissions-limits-europe/

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Will introduce the new Mustang in Spring 2020? A restyling or all new?
No new Mustang in Europe - probably ever. The MY20 car is just a cosmetic update to the current S550 model. The current Mustang V8 will probably disappear in Europe in 2021, maybe the Ecoboost will survive.

If you want one buy one now !
Sponsored