Sponsored

Last year for V8 2024 (and Mach-E discussion) via Ford Performance conference call

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
The idea that an SUV wearing the pony somehow “keeps the mustang program alive” is a joke.

It actually means they killer the Mustang. And the killer is wearing it;s cut off face as a mask.

It’s not preserving the mustang. It’s killing it off and starting an E-SUV program. Simply calling it “mustang” or putting a horse sticker on it doesn’t make it a mustang.

These are the times we live in...
Sponsored

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
All the more reason to boycott this thing. The only way Ford will listen. When the well runs dry, they’ll go to where the water is.

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
  • Making the best selling sportscar worldwide for four years in a row
  • Saying customer don't like it and want a more quiet family car with 4 doors and electric motor
What the hell?

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
  • Making the best selling sportscar worldwide for four years in a row
  • Saying customer don't like it and want a more quiet family car with 4 doors and electric motor
What the hell?

Yeah, something doesn't add up. I'm not suggesting this conference call didn't take place.......but I wonder how much of what has been repeated is out of context. EBM, the original poster, has gone very quiet.

Sponsored

green97probe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2014 Edge
Vehicle Showcase
The best way for us to keep the V8 alive is to keep buying them new.

I'm through stressing about the Mach E. It's the Probe of the times.

It might be a nice vehicle, and it might be around for a few years.

However, it could never take the Mustang's place.

Want to help ensure the future of the V8 in the Mustang?

Buy them brand new. If it keeps selling, Ford should keep building them.

green97probe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2014 Edge
Vehicle Showcase
Also, someone mentioned Dave Pericak.

I respected Dave and Tom Barnes before, but after seeing them in A Faster Horse, I respect them even more.

Both get the Mustang on a very deep level and are very passionate about it.

That's what we need at Ford.

Is Tom still with Ford? I haven't seen him in any videos since the 2018 model year?

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
There's a zillion ways to compare the suitability of an engine. Of all of them, BSFC is the best, and I've yet to see it ever carried out between the Coyote and the LS. Between the two engines, the LS wins for less friction, that's for sure. Externally, the LS is smaller, also a win. The ability to rev is where the LS fails, but for emissions, revving an engine is very bad. Slow moving parts win. And with cylinder de-activation on a big engine, you can run half the cylinders longer because of the torque of the V4. I love the design of the Coyote for sure, but it was a battle that Ford boxed themselves into when they built the mod motor for front wheel drive lincoln's that needed a short engine. When they punched it out to 5L, they made a bad call of leaving bore spacing to save money. Because of that, in order to stay competitive without a supercharger, they were more or less forced into DOHC. Use the revs to get the HP.

And if we are honest, you can get a LS to rev, it just costs money. Nascar engines and Dragsters see 10k RPM all day long with pushrods. Even GM pulled it off with the LS6.

But, I personally think the Coyote sounds so much better than the LS engines. And the Voodoo might as well be a Stradivarius as far as I'm concerned. My LS loving colleague will agree with me though that the Coyote is a much "better" (meaning more sophisticated and technologically superior) engine.

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
Yeah, something doesn't add up.
Yeah, at least from what I heard from the Ford Europes Mustang executive last year he said that he can't share too much details about the next Mustang (I posted all the details in a seperate topic back then), but they are very aware of how important the V8 is to a lot of customers.

Even if this call happened, the summary is not written very objective but pretty much someones own conclusions

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Also, someone mentioned Dave Pericak.

I respected Dave and Tom Barnes before, but after seeing them in A Faster Horse, I respect them even more.

Both get the Mustang on a very deep level and are very passionate about it.

That's what we need at Ford.

Is Tom still with Ford? I haven't seen him in any videos since the 2018 model year?
I've had the pleasure of meeting both gentlemen and consider them both to be as important to today's Mustang as Lee Iacocca and Hal Sperlich were back in '64.

I believe the last time I saw Tom Barnes on video was at the first press drives of the '18MY. I hope he's still doing what he does best for Mustang. However, Carl Widmann (Chief Mustang Engineer since Dave Pericak moved on up) seems to do most of the press video launch stuff now,

Sponsored

nametoshowothers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
description of cars
You're citing a site run by a single right wing sided "independent thinker" named Tony that is also just quoting the internet and OTHER peoples work while promoting Coal with 0 climate science study under his belt other than the Internet? Yeah... hes definitely not getting paid by someone...

I got a guy next door that never worked or studied in a hospital but hes damn sure he can take your appendix outc cuz he's read a lot. Trust him too?
There is significant real science that is the mainstream that the hysteria around climate change is not real. The world did not end yesterday or will it end tomorrow. The biggest problem is that the scenario being played out in political world is the worst case that is not actually happening. Resulting in a hysteria and false claims about the world ending and deranged teenagers screaming at the world

search the national post in canada for gretas worries being solved.

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
I so envy all you guys in the USA who can choose if you want a next president that is in favor or against V8's. Over here in Europe we can vote whatever we want, the unchosen climate hysterical dictators that run the European Union will kill all ICE vehicles in the next 10 years anyway.

As has been stated before.........a V8 isn't just about speed. It's as much about the sound and sensation that brings. And no EV will ever replicate that.

Now, lets assume the V8 really is going away. What will replace it? A twin turbo V6 perhaps? Is that really any "better" for the environment than a V8? I highly doubt it.
Personally I am not the least bit interested in any ICE vehicle other than a V8. Whenever I drive a 4 banger or even a V6 the only thing that comes to mind is how lame they sound. As far as I'm concerned if the V8 were eventually to disappear I would wholeheartedly embrace a high power AWD dual electric motor Mustang BEV coupe over any V6 or I4 ICE version. At least that will give you insane acceleration to compensate for the loss of sound emotion.

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
To my brothers and sisters in the EU: I've long thought that in the EU, taxes are based on engine size, or perhaps car insurance was. Is that true, or is it based on CO2/Km?

Here in the US that's not the case, but as Ford (And now in the case of the Corvette, GM) places a larger emphasis on global car sales, I believe there will be a blending of the design criteria. Call it the "Least Common Denominator" or perhaps "Designing for the least taxation/safety surcharge". I've read that front ends are becoming flatter and hoods raising because of EU pedestrian protection. And I don't think it is a surprise to anyone that has driven a Ford over the last few years that digging the headrest into the back of your skull (To the point where you are forced to nod forward) is part of the IIHS or NHTSA safety regulations/ratings for whiplash prevention.

Ford might be trying to work their way around something that y'all are familiar with, but we aren't. I know in the 90's about the Japanese "Gentlemen's agreement" on horsepower being limited to 277 HP if I remember correctly. Or perhaps it was an even 300. I seem to remember that Nissan, Mitsubishi and Mazda were all de-rating engines because of things like that. I also read that the Lexus SC Coupe had a back seat created only for insurance reasons - because a 2 seater was too expensive (I don't presume that to be the case here in the US, but maybe elsewhere?).

If there is some "magic" engine size limit, call it 3L, then there really is no point for a 3L v8 unless you are Ferrari or an F1 team. If it's a CO2 thing, then there is more of a chance because that is more about true efficiency than an arbitrary engine volume.

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
I believe the last time I saw Tom Barnes on video was at the first press drives of the '18MY. I hope he's still doing what he does best for Mustang. However, Carl Widmann (Chief Mustang Engineer since Dave Pericak moved on up) seems to do most of the press video launch stuff now,
At least in this release from August Barnes and Widmann were still mentioned in their known positions. So I guess they are in lead for the next facelift and/or Gen7

To my brothers and sisters in the EU: I've long thought that in the EU, taxes are based on engine size, or perhaps car insurance was. Is that true, or is it based on CO2/Km?
Every european country is handling this different. In Germany it's a combination of engine capacity and CO²/km. But the CO² part will be increased by an insane amount here from 2021, so a new mustang GT will they be about 1200€ tax instead of 500€ per year.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
But, I personally think the Coyote sounds so much better than the LS engines. And the Voodoo might as well be a Stradivarius as far as I'm concerned. My LS loving colleague will agree with me though that the Coyote is a much "better" (meaning more sophisticated and technologically superior) engine.
Most of that sound has to do with the firing order. A little bit deals with the head design. LS engines have quite a bit different firing order.

The coyote absolutely wins in sophistication and technology but at what cost? Need to apply the KISS principal (keep it simple stupid) and realize most everything the coyote does could have been achieved with a much simpler design. And I emphasize the COULD HAVE part of that last statement.
Sponsored

Last edited: