Sponsored

2018, 2019, 2020 Mustang GT experience

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
I have an '18 GT PP1 A10 Premium. Love the car. Fast, wonderful engine (I love the Gen 3 Coyote), perfect sound/volume (for me), nice interior, large trunk (compared to Camaro), better visibility than Camaro, slightly more usable backseat than Camaro, great looks, gets a lot of attention/comments/looks, great transmission (love the 10-speed).

My gripes for my car (these aren't deal breakers, just annoying): when the car is cold, the transmission holds 1st gear way too long under very light throttle. It essentially won't shift out of 1st until 2,500 rpm when the engine is cold, under very light throttle in normal automatic mode. Keeping the same throttle amount the rest of the gears will shift under 2k rpm, for comparison. If I take my foot off the gas when the engine is very cold and in 1st gear at say, 1,900 rpm, the car will actually continue accelerating in 1st gear for up to 1+ additional second AFTER I've taken my foot completely off the gas pedal. For some reason the car insists on holding 1st gear so long. Makes me sound like I'm speeding around the neighborhood in the morning.

My other complaint is that under light throttle, the paddle shifters are slow to change gears, and it is esp. annoying in 1st gear under light throttle. To put it in perspective, after you press the paddle shifter for the upshift, it will rev for another 1,000 rpm or more at times under light throttle before the transmission shifts into 2nd. By then, I'm well past the necessary rpm for 2nd and will shift immediately into 3rd. Also, and this is very annoying, under light throttle using the paddle shifters, it will not shift into 2nd at low rpms, no matter how many times you press it. The transmission tuning forces the paddle shifter inoperable in 1st gear at light throttle inputs below about 2,300 rpm. So, what happens is, under light throttle, you can't tell the trans to shift from 1st to 2nd until ~2,500 rpm, but it takes so long to shift that by the time you pull the paddle and it actually shifts, the engine continues to rev under light throttle to 3,500-4,000 rpm in 1st gear. It sounds like you're trying to race, while giving very light throttle. It's annoying. Because 2nd gear is also really low, you don't lose a lot of rpms, still sounding like you're trying to light throttle race, so you end up shifting immediately into 3rd and then 4th gears. The stock programming at cold temps., and of the paddle shifters anytime under light throttle, leave a lot to be desired.

That said, the paddle shifters respond and shift very quickly and without the above annoying issues under medium or heavy throttle applications. The issues I mention above are only problems at light throttle. Ford programmed the paddle shifters differently under light throttle applications, I presume for smoother shifts. The shifts are quick and firm under medium or heavy throttle. That said, the Camaro SS paddle shifters, I have seen, are even slower than the Mustang's light throttle response times.
Sponsored

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Why would you buy a car like this to drive it like a dink?
I assume this comment was for me? I don't drive it like an old lady, I just don't redline it very often. I always want to open it up more than I do, though. Typically don't get the chance to drive it like I want to due to traffic congestion or other reasons.

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT w/ Roush P2 SC, 2015 KIA Sorento SXL
No one in particular. I only drove mine 10 miles a day in town so I can’t open it up all the time either. Do you have any tracks near you?

cocopanda

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
2019 Premium GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I giggle with joy when ever I rip it at 60mph and feel the wheels spinning while at speed. It's insane and a joy to drive. Like I never left my 98. When I sit down in my 19. Love the car and really happy so far with my purchase. I'm racking up the miles tho.

Diocletian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Orange Fury Mustang GT Premium A10 w/ PP1.
Mine has been sitting in the garage for a month, it doesn’t run lol. Kinda stopped caring about it, I just wish it would actually RUN reliably, because when it does it’s a riot. I’m hoping it’s a bad factory MAF but that’s basically my 2018 Mustang experience.

Sponsored

thunderstrike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 6 spd
Go ahead, you'll be very pleased with it. Be sure to get the Active Exhaust and B.O. Speakers, No engine tickets yet. I've switched to Royal Purple oil at 1,000 miles, and RP Syncrhomax transmission fluid at 6,000 miles. So far all is good, except minor noises coming from MT/console area. One is a slight grinding-like noise in 2d gear around 2,000 RPM and rattles at highway speed under the console.

Alberto

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Albert
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
2019 15mo old. 2800miles. 6speed broke it in by the book. No ticks, no other issues

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
The salt is strong in this thread.
Mustang drivers do this easily. How are you different?
We have in internet superhero here guys...
r u derpty..?
or does sarcasm go right over your head?

& thnx for looking up to me, as a superhero. <-- that's sarcasm..

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT w/ Roush P2 SC, 2015 KIA Sorento SXL
r u derpty..?
or does sarcasm go right over your head?

& thnx for looking up to me, as a superhero. <-- that's sarcasm..
I must be :) definitely missed it. Doh! Back to my hole

Sponsored

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
The paint is very very soft that is my main issue. I've owned dozens and dozens of vehicles including many Fords. I have 2 late model F250's and one black with a beautiful green/blue flake and a ruby red 19 Mustang and both it and the black 18 model have very soft paint. Takes nothing to chip or scratch. The F250'S paint is very hard. I can't seem to find a scratch or chip on either. I'm not sure what's going on with the Mustangs. I've even put several layers of 9h ceramic and has done nothing to deter scratches. I'm going to remove the ceramic and put on a PPF then ceramic on top.

To the OP...I have seen many of those youtube videos and believe there are some with this issue but I am not sure how much it is the DI or a scoring on the cylinder walls. The Mustangs I have both sound great. So idk maybe it is a common issue but the 18 has 38k miles on it and sounds fine and the 19 has 660 miles on it so again idk. They are a blast to drive
I have to take my car through the car wash as I live in an upscale apartment complex that does not allow washing cars. Crappy rule, but it is what it is.

Every time I take it through the wash, any wash, the driver's side front end just below the headlight...there's a crease right there...gets marked black and I get black smears in that area. If I don't do anything about cleaning it, then in about three washes it will come off and look brand new. It is aggravating to no end and nobody I've met has been able to explain why it happens only on that one side.

I HATE Ford paint with a passion.

ChaoticFury09

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium (Automatic - Magnetic)
I have an '18 GT PP1 A10 Premium. Love the car. Fast, wonderful engine (I love the Gen 3 Coyote), perfect sound/volume (for me), nice interior, large trunk (compared to Camaro), better visibility than Camaro, slightly more usable backseat than Camaro, great looks, gets a lot of attention/comments/looks, great transmission (love the 10-speed).

My gripes for my car (these aren't deal breakers, just annoying): when the car is cold, the transmission holds 1st gear way too long under very light throttle. It essentially won't shift out of 1st until 2,500 rpm when the engine is cold, under very light throttle in normal automatic mode. Keeping the same throttle amount the rest of the gears will shift under 2k rpm, for comparison. If I take my foot off the gas when the engine is very cold and in 1st gear at say, 1,900 rpm, the car will actually continue accelerating in 1st gear for up to 1+ additional second AFTER I've taken my foot completely off the gas pedal. For some reason the car insists on holding 1st gear so long. Makes me sound like I'm speeding around the neighborhood in the morning.

My other complaint is that under light throttle, the paddle shifters are slow to change gears, and it is esp. annoying in 1st gear under light throttle. To put it in perspective, after you press the paddle shifter for the upshift, it will rev for another 1,000 rpm or more at times under light throttle before the transmission shifts into 2nd. By then, I'm well past the necessary rpm for 2nd and will shift immediately into 3rd. Also, and this is very annoying, under light throttle using the paddle shifters, it will not shift into 2nd at low rpms, no matter how many times you press it. The transmission tuning forces the paddle shifter inoperable in 1st gear at light throttle inputs below about 2,300 rpm. So, what happens is, under light throttle, you can't tell the trans to shift from 1st to 2nd until ~2,500 rpm, but it takes so long to shift that by the time you pull the paddle and it actually shifts, the engine continues to rev under light throttle to 3,500-4,000 rpm in 1st gear. It sounds like you're trying to race, while giving very light throttle. It's annoying. Because 2nd gear is also really low, you don't lose a lot of rpms, still sounding like you're trying to light throttle race, so you end up shifting immediately into 3rd and then 4th gears. The stock programming at cold temps., and of the paddle shifters anytime under light throttle, leave a lot to be desired.

That said, the paddle shifters respond and shift very quickly and without the above annoying issues under medium or heavy throttle applications. The issues I mention above are only problems at light throttle. Ford programmed the paddle shifters differently under light throttle applications, I presume for smoother shifts. The shifts are quick and firm under medium or heavy throttle. That said, the Camaro SS paddle shifters, I have seen, are even slower than the Mustang's light throttle response times.
I’ve never been able to summarize my problems with the car but I realize you did for me. This is 100% accurate and also drives me nuts.

TheSnowmanMafia

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium
Man, I wish I had the balls to redline it even 10% of the time I drive it. It's so fast and loud I feel like I'll get pulled over every time I nail it like that.
Haha, I do a lot of highway driving and all of our on-ramps are metered with stop lights most of the time so I get to use launch control a bunch hah.

lokerola

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
I have a 2019 GT convertible, auto. I love the motor and the fact that it's a drop top. But there are things that I'm not liking.

1. The front seats are uncomfortable. I've come to hate these seats and can't find a good position in them. The seat bottoms are too short and don't lift high enough. The side bolsters are too tight, and the lumbar is a disaster. It doesn't retract far enough back into the seat when fully released. It's also a single wire in the seat, not a pillow, so it jams into your back, and it's installed too low. There's no adjustability up and down on the lumber. Some people love the seats, others - not so much. Count me in the not so much category.

2. The non power pack suspension is "meh". It's too pillowy and soft. If I were going to keep the car long term, I'd add some Steeda springs & struts.

3. The base stereo sucks. Always order the upgraded stereo.

4. Ford split the controls for the HVAC across the manual/analog controls, and the Sync. It's a PITA to switch between them to get the HVAC controls just where you want them. Way too much touchy-feely work required on the touch screen to get the climate control set up the way you want.

5. The 10 speed auto is good. Drive mode is kind of slow on initial push of the accelerator pedal (and that's OK). Sport mode is super sporty. It responds very quickly and does the nifty rev matching when down shifting.

6. The different modes for the steering are silly. The sport mode just makes it harder to steer - it adds no additional steering feel. It's like your power steering pump broke.

7. Active exhaust is the best. All V8 cars should have this. You can go from soccer-Dad to NASCAR-Dad in a heartbeat. I love, love, love the active exhaust. And you can set a timer for when it goes into the modes. I have mine on "quiet" 24x7 for the neighbors, but open it up once I'm out of the neighborhood.

8. Did I mention how great the motor is? This car is all about the motor. It screams like a banshee. On a summer day, drop the top, put the exhaust and the transmission in sport mode, mash the GO pedal, and it's nothing but smiles. It's fantastic. It's just all the other days of the year that the car annoys me.

9. I'll probably be trading it in a few years down the road. It's been fun - but I haven't developed any sort of connection to the car.

10. Did I mention the motor is great? :)

13GetThere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lynn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2 Magnet Grey
I have a 2019 GT convertible, auto. I love the motor and the fact that it's a drop top. But there are things that I'm not liking.

1. The front seats are uncomfortable. I've come to hate these seats and can't find a good position in them. The seat bottoms are too short and don't lift high enough. The side bolsters are too tight, and the lumbar is a disaster. It doesn't retract far enough back into the seat when fully released. It's also a single wire in the seat, not a pillow, so it jams into your back, and it's installed too low. There's no adjustability up and down on the lumber. Some people love the seats, others - not so much. Count me in the not so much category.

I think the seats are great, comfortable with really good support. Throw in the telescoping and tilting steering wheel, and I couldn't wait to trade my 13GT.

2. The non power pack suspension is "meh". It's too pillowy and soft. If I were going to keep the car long term, I'd add some Steeda springs & struts.

The PP2 suspension is smooth and firm; rides great, handles great.

3. The base stereo sucks. Always order the upgraded stereo.

I've got the B&O, but my hearing is so bad, I probably can't tell the difference.

4. Ford split the controls for the HVAC across the manual/analog controls, and the Sync. It's a PITA to switch between them to get the HVAC controls just where you want them. Way too much touchy-feely work required on the touch screen to get the climate control set up the way you want.

No argument there.

5. The 10 speed auto is good. Drive mode is kind of slow on initial push of the accelerator pedal (and that's OK). Sport mode is super sporty. It responds very quickly and does the nifty rev matching when down shifting.

You think it's slow? Try the manual

6. The different modes for the steering are silly. The sport mode just makes it harder to steer - it adds no additional steering feel. It's like your power steering pump broke.

If I could keep the steering in normal or comfort mode while in sport or track, I'd be happy, but sport isn't terrible.

7. Active exhaust is the best. All V8 cars should have this. You can go from soccer-Dad to NASCAR-Dad in a heartbeat. I love, love, love the active exhaust. And you can set a timer for when it goes into the modes. I have mine on "quiet" 24x7 for the neighbors, but open it up once I'm out of the neighborhood.

The one thing I have that I could live without. It's nice to have, but not worth the price IMO.

8. Did I mention how great the motor is? This car is all about the motor. It screams like a banshee. On a summer day, drop the top, put the exhaust and the transmission in sport mode, mash the GO pedal, and it's nothing but smiles. It's fantastic. It's just all the other days of the year that the car annoys me.

Total agreement.

9. I'll probably be trading it in a few years down the road. It's been fun - but I haven't developed any sort of connection to the car.

Can't wait to drive mine again, but with summer only tires.......

10. Did I mention the motor is great? :)

I've got a GT Premium PP2, and I've got different opinions on a few things.
Sponsored