Sponsored

2020 GT500 CFTP Destroys C8 Corvette - Motortrend Comparison Review

Kahless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Triumph Thunderbird Storm
its shocking i had to make it 6 pages in before anyone bothered to read the dang article where it clearly posts the times the cars ran at the bottom where it lists the 0-60 and other performance stats. all the complaining about times and people to lazy to read and only watching the video. i read it yesterday morning around 9 and they were there then. both cars are great and could use less penny pinching on the interiors. the prices arent terrible thats just the world we live in where compact cars and suvs are into the 30s now.
These are some impressive Times

Shelby GT500 (Base): 1:59.68 sec
Shelby GT500 (CFTP): 1:56.30 sec
Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
3.38 seconds isn't 5 seconds!
Now for the nomex suit - how much of that was tires, carbon wheels, or aero?

Deviruchi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 (L0646)
Biggest take away is that the GT500 (even base) is to be taken very seriously on the track. A LOT of people outside of this forum thought it would be another hellcat, dyno queen or fast on the strip only. This is direct evidence to the contrary.

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
Last edited by a moderator:

Sponsored

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
So....Ford/Mustang fans are using this test to conclude that the Corvette is junk? Is that a fair assessment of this thread?

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
I must say, that this is the first time that I can think of that ANY Mustang ever beat a Corvette at anything, albeit a small margin and it took it having 265hp more to do it. But a win nonetheless.

JT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
its shocking i had to make it 6 pages in before anyone bothered to read the dang article where it clearly posts the times the cars ran at the bottom where it lists the 0-60 and other performance stats. all the complaining about times and people to lazy to read and only watching the video. i read it yesterday morning around 9 and they were there then. both cars are great and could use less penny pinching on the interiors. the prices arent terrible thats just the world we live in where compact cars and suvs are into the 30s now.
the5 said: ↑
These are some impressive Times

Shelby GT500 (Base): 1:59.68 sec
Shelby GT500 (CFTP): 1:56.30 sec

I thought Chevy claims 1.51.25 for the C7 ZR1 at VIR, and I saw a video of a ZL1 1 LE run 1.58.7. I know different days, different drivers.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
They didn't post the video or the times in the article originally. After a bit of time, the video was added. A while later, they finally added the actual full statistics sheet.

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
19 ZL1 1LE, 19 F150, 19 SB S5
I'd disagree with this. To me it sounds like sour grapes to say that the Ford must have been setup for track if it beat the Z51 C8. Kind of seems like someone has a closed mind or a prejudice of what they want to believe.

I think if the GT500 was set up with a crazy track alignment MotorTrend would have said so. IMO that's the most logical and non-biased position to have. They explained what had to be done to the Corvette in pretty clear terms and it was pretty clearly stated that the base GT500 is 3 or 4 seconds faster than the C8 if they both have a "normal" alignment.

Heck, you can just look at the C8 and see how "bow legged" the front tires look. And then look at the GT500 and it's obviously not setup that way. I know I've seen photos of the C8 that demonstrate how crazy the track alignment is.

I always like to see when you post here. It sucked that you had such bad luck with your 2 different GT350s that both engines drank oil. I can see where that would have left a bad taste in your mouth and possibly even some anger towards Ford. I know I had a lot of anger when I bought the most track capable Mustang ever and it over heated on track super fast. Since then I've seen that Chevy sometimes does that kind of stuff as well. There's a film online of the C5 Z06 supposedly on track for hours with no problems. Mine got hot really fast. Oh well - getting a little off topic now.

I have to admit that Voodoo reliability entered into my head when I decided to sell the GT350 and get a Z06.

Any who - so you got rid of the BMW and bought a ZL1 1LE. Very cool! When did you pick it up? Had it at a track yet?
Hey dude, hope things are going well!

I was more along the lines of that any manufacturer is going to make sure their car is going to make sure it is set up as nicely as possible for these tests. I don't know the GT500 well enough, but if it was in complete from the factory street alignment then kudos to them. In this day and age of FI, I have a hard time believing a lot of these test/'Ring times etc as they are all capable of sending juiced cars etc. Kind of like the GT500s drag strip time with a fully prepped car/track and pro driver. Great time, but like these tests most of us won't approach them. That was my biggest point of my rant.

My wife didn't like driving the truck so she got a different car and that freed me up to look for something more track ready/focused. I missed the V8 so I went looking for that to start with. I shit you not, I actually looked at an 19 R that is still in southern MN on a lot. I'm guessing they would go below MSRP now as a phone call had them there a couple of months ago. Thought about a GS Vette, but I still wanted a four seater for the fam, even if they are mostly unusable, my nine year old is still comfortable back there. Any way that led me to the ZLE, I found one local and took a test drive in a regular one and a few trips back and forth before I decided to go for it. I wasn't kidding when I said I hate GM, but I gotta give them credit, they got this one right. Just from the adjustability and ease of maintenance design in comparison to my GT350s. No tracking yet, but I have 2500 miles on it and love the thing. No mods planned except for some Forgeline wheels and that is it.

Hopefully see you this summer on a track, I only got out twice last year and I'm going to do my best to change that up greatly this year.

Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
So....Ford/Mustang fans are using this test to conclude that the Corvette is junk? Is that a fair assessment of this thread?
I hope you never sit on a jury.

YoloBathsalts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT - PP1
I didn't get that from the thread. What I took away is that the GT500 is fast af, Corvette is fast but less fast, and I can't afford either of them.
If i had to guess id say the Z06 will be more fast, and the ZR1 will be much much fast.
The take away is that the new Mustang GT500 is an absolute monster and can eat mid engine 2 seaters alive which is super cool.
The between the lines take away is that America is now making badass cars that can defeat their European counterparts swiftly while costing about half as much.

Melange_X3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
D
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2017 Ford Focus ST, On Order 2020 CTFP Shelby GT 500 with POTTS. Car is released and awaiting shipment. I am running out of time before having to leave for Japan on July 29th.
No the Ford/Mustang fans are not using the test and article from Motortrend to state that the Corvette is junk. This is more of a response to all of the haters who came on to the Mustang 6g Shelby GT500 forums when the C8 info was initially released and laid down the 2.9 or 3.0 0-60 time and GT500's weight was listed at over 4,000lbs. All of the haters bashed the GT500 before all of the data was out and before actual test drives were performed. Now that the all of the performance numbers are out on the GT500 and they are very good the haters have since vanished. It is funny how people wanted to compare the C8 to the GT500 when few of the stats were out and now people are saying "oh it is not a fair comparison because it is not the ZO6 or other high end version of the Corvette." People were saying I was crazy to order a $100K CTFP mustang but looks like I wasn't crazy after all.

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
No the Ford/Mustang fans are not using the test and article from Motortrend to state that the Corvette is junk. This is more of a response to all of the haters who came on to the Mustang 6g Shelby GT500 forums when the C8 info was initially released and laid down the 2.9 or 3.0 0-60 time and GT500's weight was listed at over 4,000lbs. All of the haters bashed the GT500 before all of the data was out and before actual test drives were performed. Now that the all of the performance numbers are out on the GT500 and they are very good the haters have since vanished. It is funny how people wanted to compare the C8 to the GT500 when few of the stats were out and now people are saying "oh it is not a fair comparison because it is not the ZO6 or other high end version of the Corvette." People were saying I was crazy to order a $100K CTFP mustang but looks like I wasn't crazy after all.
I would not say you are crazy for buying one, maybe a little touched in the head paying $10K for stripes, but hey, it is only money. I know Tom has ordered the painted stripes and to be sure you will have a "rarer bird" but hold on to that car bcuz it will be worth more down the road. If you sell it, you won't find many takers willing to pay extra, but someone will. And those people will take care of it.

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
HAHAHAH!!. When have you been in the GT500? ive owned 60k cars that dont have an interior this nice. put the pipe down lolololol. Trolls always make the most outragous claims.
My point was that it's the same interior as every Mustang GT (besides the GT350 seats). The C8 interior is without a doubt leagues ahead.
Sponsored