Water Pump

PeterS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
Noticed mine leaking 48,000 miles couldn't find the source with compression test so we added dye sure enough next day it leaked and had the water pump out and replaced in no time. I had the extended warranty and it does in fact cover the water pump too.
Snapchat-1138969538.jpg
20191217_110355.jpg

1004ron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 , 2017 Ford Edge Sport
@Etienne thanks very much for all the info you provided here.

My wife's 2015 3.7L V6 has 62K miles on and the water pump just started leaking.
I'm looking at all the parts that I'll need and where to get them.

I see that the water pumps come with a gasket and one O-ring, but how can I identify the two O-rings for the thermostat housing (I don't plan on opening the thermostat).

Also, I see that there's a few makes of pumps available, and I typically stick with Motorcraft but in this case I hopefully there's a better quality replacement - I was considering the Gates - what is your recommendation?

Sponsored

1004ron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
I didnt had a replacement o-ring, i lubrificated it with coolant like the manual says. If you want one, you can just call a dealer i'm sure the part guy will find it.

I'm just a diy guy so for recommendations for the pump i cant help you, i mostly use motorcraft parts. and like i said a few post earlier, the motorcraft on rockauto come with the updated hose with an valve inside so it's now a one-way to the degas bottle so no air can enter the system.

I found the tsb for 11-14 mustang but since my 2015 didnt have the valve i think its good for it too.
Thanks very much.

I now understand why the part "Motorcraft PW575 Water Pump Kit, 1 Pack" includes a hose and have taken the Gates pump out of my Amazon order and selected the Motorcraft.

So, in the future if I search for a new pump it's got to be the 3 bolt pulley - what part number would that be?

My Mustang does not have a check valve in that hose and at 61,300 miles I think I'll contact the Dealership tomorrow and see if I can get them to do the job.

Yesterday I topped up reservoir and got it to operating temperature and let it cool and no sign of a leak - we'll keep a check on it daily until the parts arrive.

1004ron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
My local dealership service manager contacted Ford Corp. and they agreed that my 2015 left the factory without the new check valve and approved the warranty implementation of the TSB.

paintball20205

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang v6
I didnt had a replacement o-ring, i lubrificated it with coolant like the manual says. If you want one, you can just call a dealer i'm sure the part guy will find it.

I'm just a diy guy so for recommendations for the pump i cant help you, i mostly use motorcraft parts. and like i said a few post earlier, the motorcraft on rockauto come with the updated hose with an valve inside so it's now a one-way to the degas bottle so no air can enter the system.

I found the tsb for 11-14 mustang but since my 2015 didnt have the valve i think its good for it too.

View attachment 485029
Where did you get the repair manual? Thanks!
Sponsored