Sponsored

Crackle tunes - WTF is wrong with people

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
This has got to be one of the dumbest mechanical trends there is.

There’s nothing that irritates me more than some dweeb cruising around wringing out every gear just to decelerate to sound like his or her car is exploding on deceleration.

Ok cool, you had your car tuned to make loud noises in absence of having real power to show for. It isn’t easy to be cool in the car world sometimes, but dear f$*k, it gives ME a mild dose of PTSD to hear this shit.

Not to mention you look like an asshat, but your stock turbo and your converter are going to hate you and take an early retirement due to all that extra fuel your dumping to explode post combustion chamber.

I had a Focus ST and so many people in the ST world throught this was a game changer. My ST may have occasionally popped between shifts or under deceleration, once. Not for 15 seconds straight.

If the car doesn’t do it naturally, don’t fake it.

/rant.
Sponsored

1MEAN18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT

There’s nothing that irritates me more than some dweeb cruising around wringing out every gear just to decelerate to sound like his or her car is exploding on deceleration.

Ok cool, you had your car tuned to make loud noises in absence of having real power to show for. It isn’t easy to be cool in the car world sometimes, but dear f$*k, it gives ME a mild dose of PTSD to hear this shit.

Not to mention you look like an asshat, but your stock turbo and your converter are going to hate you and take an early retirement due to all that extra fuel your dumping to explode post combustion chamber.

I had a Focus ST and so many people in the ST world throught this was a game changer. My ST may have occasionally popped between shifts or under deceleration, once. Not for 15 seconds straight.

/rant.
I blame it on the tuners...and I won't do business with a tuner who makes tunes like this, I instantly know they don't mind creating something for kids that also helps to destroy your cats and O2 sensors.

OP
OP

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
My car does it straight from Ford. Certainly wouldn't pay extra for it.
Exactly.

I blame it on the tuners...and I won't do business with a tuner who makes tunes like this, I instantly know they don't mind creating something for kids that also helps to destroy your cats and O2 sensors.
Yeah whoever started the trend needs a kick in the nuts. Haha.

What caused me to post this was hearing a tool in a BMW 3 series crawl around the parking lot I was in while picking up some food do this crap. Accelerate and let off. Accelerate and let off.

The kicker was when he pulled up to a light, he hit a 2 step limiter that was so loud I thought there was a shootout in the parking lot. Seriously. The outdoor shooting range I’ve gone to is quieter than that was.

I gaurantee you the douche nugget behind the wheel was leaned all the way back, sunglasses on (it was 10pm), sideways hat, rolling vape smoke.

Around here, they are usually accompanied by the equally obnoxious strobing brake lights.
Hahaha yeah. I see that too.

Strobing lights, crackle tune and some assanine “stance” or tire stretch.. pretty much sums it up. And for the ones that are track kings (aka parking lot hero’s), a tow hook, because racecar.

A dude that lives in my complex has a shitbox 90’s Honda. Paint is falling off, suspension is probably sitting on the bumpstops and I can only imagine the exhaust ends somewhere after the exhaust manifold. Actually, he probably hacked the collector off and is just running open header primaries. When he cranks this JDM beast up, he pedals the gas like John Force at least 18 times before leaving the parking spot. Because racecar.. I guess.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro

/rant.
Sorry, I can't back you up on this one, bro.

I love it when I see people in traffic who are obviously into their cars. Especially young people. We need more young people who love cars in the world. Yes - sometimes it can be a little amusing or annoying - but usually I smile and feel good. I remember as a kid my buddy had a G body Malibu and driving down a big hill in town he'd dump the automatic transmission in a lower gear so we could hear it pop. I totally loved it.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Phooey on crackle noises....

I just want to make my blinker volume external and so loud that it sounds like a real horse galloping down the highway ...

click,clock,click,clock,click,clock,click,clock,click,clock,click,clock,click,clock,click,clock,click,clock,click,clock,click,clock,click,clock,click,clock,click,clock,click,clock,click,clock,click,clock,click,clock

:crackup:

not....

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
I'm totally in agreement with the OP here. There's a tuner shop around the corner from my work and almost every day there'll be a Mercedes or BMW go up the street sounding like total crap on decel. It's literally like he said, gunfire going off but louder. Totally obnoxious and I too don't get it.

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP

/rant.
It's not a tune... Cars with no cats will crackle and backfire if you hop off the gas.

My bone stock s550 will do some small pops in sport + when diving aggressively. Can't wait to get headers for it :)

Funny story I grew up im the islands so we had cars direct from,Japan. Well back when i was in high school and the Mitsubishi Evo 3 came out they used to call those cars "AK47" Because thats what they sound like.

I remember walking home one day and a guy downshifted right beside me I swore I was in a shoot out... Scared the shit out of me.

I wanted one so bad.

The old pulsar GtiR and r32, r33 skylines used to spit flames stock lol

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
Fun fact:
The Coyote motor at idle actually does sound exactly like a trotting horse when slowed down to 85 bpm. Full throttle on the Voodoo sounds like a gallop at 140 bpm.
lol I do love how these engines idle :)

Sponsored
OP
OP

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Sorry, I can't back you up on this one, bro.

I love it when I see people in traffic who are obviously into their cars. Especially young people. We need more young people who love cars in the world. Yes - sometimes it can be a little amusing or annoying - but usually I smile and feel good. I remember as a kid my buddy had a G body Malibu and driving down a big hill in town he'd dump the automatic transmission in a lower gear so we could hear it pop. I totally loved it.
I appreciate as well and me at age 18 would probably have found this amusing too. That’s not my problem with it... I agree we need a younger crowd to be into cars.

It’s just a bad trend set by tuners and knowing that it mechanically stresses certain parts on the vehicle doesn’t seem like a responsible thing to throw into the world of vehicle tuning.

If a car does it by itself, cool. If it does it after some performance mods, cool. If it’s tuned for no other purpose than to pop under any type of deceleration... not for me.

Phooey on crackle noises....

I just want to make my blinker volume external and so loud that it sounds like a real horse galloping down the highway ...

click,clock,click,clock,click,clock,click,clock,click,clock,click,clock,click,clock,click,clock,click,clock,click,clock,click,clock,click,clock,click,clock,click,clock,click,clock,click,clock,click,clock,click,clock

:crackup:

not....
Hahaha

Fun fact:
The Coyote motor at idle actually does sound exactly like a trotting horse when slowed down to 85 bpm. Full throttle on the Voodoo sounds like a gallop at 140 bpm.
Coincidence?

I'm totally in agreement with the OP here. There's a tuner shop around the corner from my work and almost every day there'll be a Mercedes or BMW go up the street sounding like total crap on decel. It's literally like he said, gunfire going off but louder. Totally obnoxious and I too don't get it.
Yeah, this post was inspired by a BMW 3-Series, AK47 edition.. lol.

It's not a tune... Cars with no cats will crackle and backfire if you hop off the gas.

My bone stock s550 will do some small pops in sport + when diving aggressively. Can't wait to get headers for it :)

Funny story I grew up im the islands so we had cars direct from,Japan. Well back when i was in high school and the Mitsubishi Evo 3 came out they used to call those cars "AK47" Because thats what they sound like.

I remember walking home one day and a guy downshifted right beside me I swore I was in a shoot out... Scared the shit out of me.

I wanted one so bad.

No, I’m specifically talking about purpose written tunes to do this:

Skip to 3:40:

My GT will pop too while shifting under the right conditions.. stock tune, still has cats. I’m cool with that or any car that normally does it. Euro spec EVO and I believe STI have anti-lag from the factory.. similar results but the car is purpose built that way and it’s for performance.

Funny talking about the islands - I spent some time in Puerto Rico and saw some pretty cool cars there. Mostly 90’s imports Americans have long forgot about but they’re in great shape and modded out.. saw some pretty fast cars.

I live in South Florida so lots of Puerto Rican’s, Dominicans, Jamaicans, Cubans, etc all in the car scene. It’s cool to have that diversity becusse everyone tends to bring something different to the table.

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
I see it no different than a "ghost cam" idle. Neither have any bearing on performance.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Thanks for the vid. Yes it does seem over the top.

I wonder if I can get that on my Fiesta. :crazy:

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
If I didn't know any better I'd say there's something broken on the car.

1MEAN18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT

I wanted one so bad.

Mine doesn't snap crackle or pop and I have no cats or mufflers.
Sponsored