2020 GT500 CFTP Destroys C8 Corvette - Motortrend Comparison Review

JonEcoyote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2011,13 Mustang GTs
Yea im surprised too, how can a car with 260+ hp and gigantic brakes beat the revolutionary C8, its mind boggling. Just as mind boggling as comparing the same C8 with an eco boost mustang.
My mind would truly be boggled if the GT500 in any form can take down a C7 ZR1, I mean mustangs are in the same class right?

Actually they aren't really except for price.

The C8 Vette will be work $30K in 5 years, the GT500 $60K+
Sponsored

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
Hate to see the hostility. What's funny is people don't actually speak this way to each other face to face, especially about a damn car, lol!
People don't because they would probably get their ass kicked. It is like people are brave until they get out of their car.

1mic

Banned
2 mph so everybody sees u
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
God bless America, all 8.4 liters -Randy Pobst
To be fair, most of the folks over there who actually track their cars are in agreement that the GT500 is a performer. It's just those 1 or 2 keyboard warriors that continue to evolve their caveats/excuses as more data is released.
Negative, no they do not track their cars. A lot of these guys are waxers. Look at the argument between the biggest difference maker in lap times, they think its the carbon wheels or down force. When the track guys have already told them its the tires. A lot of the guys commenting arent even going to get a GT500 which is hilarious, cuckhouse is the biggest culprit. These same people push the same nut swinging narrative, post only things that the car shines in, ignore its weaknesses. Like posting online articles how 0-60 is irrelevant but its still a metric used to measure performance.

Also, aint nobody here saying the GT500 isnt capable. I originally thought the car is too heavy. I cant wait for more and more owners to take it to a road course and report back.

Boss2013

Threads
Reaction score
Oh man, it's fanboy time again...

GT500 is an execellent car. Great power, awesome track capability. If you want the most badass mustang in town, get this thing. But you will spend $80k+ with an interior of a $30k car.

C8 Z51 is also an execellent car. It delivers great performance, a midengine layout for a reasonable price and an interior that is league ahead of sitting in a Camaro or Mustang. Both cars deliver clearly some of the best value in the market in every possible track measurement you can get.

But where is this "DESTROYING" come from? Take a look at the recorded numbers in the article:
Quarter mile: C8 wins
0 - 100 - 0: C8 wins
Figure Eigth: C8 wins
Lap time: GT500 only wins by 1,5s difference on a 3 minute track with more than 50% more horsepower than the C8 has. Of course the Carbon Fiber track package is even faster on track, but don't forget that the package is insane $18,500 - So we will have to see what the Z06 will do here in comparison.
The MT article title is:
Chevy Corvette C8 vs. Ford Mustang Shelby GT500: A Track Comparison

So, the only statistic that the "destroying" comment should be related to is the lap time. In that case, yes, the GT500 lap time did "destroy" the C8 in this test. As someone pointed out, the margin between past Camaro/Mustang track variants has been less and the GM product was similarly declared to have "destroyed" the Mustang.

I love the GT500, it's clearly the craziest S550 you can get and I really dig the design. But hands down, I would easily choose a C8 2LT Z51 before the GT500 just because you will have to sit in the car every day and the interior is just such a huge step into premium league.
To each their own, For me, I prefer function over form, so if the GT500 would allow me to effectively track the car, that's all that matters.

I would really like to see a ZL1 1LE - C7 Z06 - GT500 CBTP comparison.
We all would. Regardless of the outcome.

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated

Sponsored

1mic

Banned
2 mph so everybody sees u
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
God bless America, all 8.4 liters -Randy Pobst
Actually they aren't really except for price.

The C8 Vette will be work $30K in 5 years, the GT500 $60K+
110%, which is why i dont care about a regular c8. Im more intersted in the z06, even if the depreciation is bad. Just having PDR, front end lift kit and the performance to me will be the reason to purchase. I dont care about porsche, and the ones I do care about are crazy money.

I'm usually the guy to argue resale value of the top dog mustangs so I know where you're coming from. GM cars just tank, although that might change with the C7 ZR1 since its the last top dog front engine vette available in a manual.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
These are some impressive Times

Shelby GT500 (Base): 1:59.68 sec
Shelby GT500 (CFTP): 1:56.30 sec
59280.jpeg

So not ~5 seconds like Randy originally implied but rather 3.3 seconds between the Base and the CFTP car. Cup2 on the Base and that difference has suddenly become near nil...

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
Cup
59280.jpeg

So not ~5 seconds like Randy originally implied but rather 3.3 seconds between the Base and the CFTP car. Cup2 on the Base and that difference has suddenly become near nil...
Cup 2 tires on the C8 and that gets closer. Hey, Cup 2 tires on any car and it will get better times.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Except the CFTP car already has them. The Base with a tire change becomes that much better and that's before any hardware changes or dialing in the same camber numbers as the CFTP car.

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
Except the CFTP car already has them. The Base with a tire change becomes that much better and that's before any hardware changes or dialing in the same camber numbers as the CFTP car.
We all know the CFTP has them, but if the Base had them like you said it would close the gap making the CFTP not worth it that much for $18k

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
With 265 more HP and a track with little corners and huge straightaways, the C8 did very well and would not call it a ass kicking.
Only with a tire destroying track alignment did the C8 come somewhat close. If you put a typical street alignment on the C8 - like what the GT500 had, it's not close.

Basically comparing a modified car to a stock as delivered car to get the C8 to look better.

Oh man, it's fanboy time again...

GT500 is an execellent car. Great power, awesome track capability. If you want the most badass mustang in town, get this thing. But you will spend $80k+ with an interior of a $30k car.
The GT500 interior is not the same as a $30k Mustang interior.

Always, the ones that tea bag either manufacture. both are great cars.. Whats great is some of these fanbois claim its insane to compare a GT350 to the ZL1 or the GT350R to the ZL1 1LE due to the same price, because "supercharger" are now coming in swinging off the nut hairs comparing 100k GT500's to base C8's.. Both sides are cancer, gone are the days of just being a car guy. now its "you new model got DeStRoYeD" because one car in a pro's hand was .00001 faster. and the fanboi talking the most crap cant come within 10seconds of either car driven by a pro so has to use magazine test and other men driving to beat their chests. People that are competent enough that could push the limits know both are great cars.

What are they going to do when it looks like ones on its last hooray and the other just starting.
If you don't mind a little friendly debate it can be fun. However, what I typically see on here is a bunch of GM fans come in and say really negative things about Fords. I'm not sure if the same happens on the GM sites as I don't frequent them.

I think it was interesting to see the ZL1 1LE GT350R comparisons. The ZL1 1LE was faster, but all the reviewers wanted to buy the Mustang. That seemed ok to me. I'm usually not buying a car for the absolute fastest time possible anyway. More often enjoyment is #1.

Dusten

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dusten
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang, 2001 Ford Lightning, 1968 Ford Mustang

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
19 ZL1 1LE, 19 F150, 19 SB S5
I haven't checked in here in awhile and I'm amused to find the same ol back and forth. There is no way in hell I'd by either of these for a couple of years, especially for the money they are asking (especially for the GT500/ADM). I log in and the first thing I see in the GT350 section is 2020 GT350 needs a possible new motor thread. The GT350 has been a reliability disaster in many ways and not just with the well publicized Voodoo issues. I wouldn't trust Ford that they've changed their internal culture around that they now care about quality/reliability with the GT500. So one will have the pleasure of dealing with shitty Ford dealers and their ADM games, then the car breaks down and the new customer has an even more infuriating time with the crappy service department that hasn't been trained properly to take care of the car. Geezus, new GT350 splitters are still being installed incorrectly five or so years in. Chevy isn't much better, but a little in my experience.

As for all of the talk of lap times are pointless for almost everyone in this thread (including me) as they aren't attainable by us. Also, are you really going to pay 100k and up after ADM for your brand new GT500 and really go the 10/10ths needed to get these lap times (again even fewer here)? I know I leave some on the table as I like to leave the way I arrived at the track with the car in the same condition. These cars are within the time of it being a drivers race for us above average, but nowhere near pro level driver these times were attained by.

Also, almost twenty grand to gain a half of second for the CFTP pack over the base GT500, but people here are complaining about a track alignment being expensive? Plus the consumables for such a heavy car? I thought my ZL1 1LE was a pig at 38XX, but 42XX for the GT500 is mind blowing to me. I'll give Chevy credit that at least they are trying to go the other way with weight and are still offering manuals in most of their from what I can tell.

Last, I'm not the biggest interior guy, but 100k roughly gets you a Fusion shift knob and some CF (etc) parts thrown in to an otherwise S550 interior?

No thanks, carry on bickering here by people that most can't afford these cars and even fewer that can drive them to their potential. :like::rockon::crazy::giggle:

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
I haven't checked in here in awhile and I'm amused to find the same ol back and forth. There is no way in hell I'd by either of these for a couple of years, especially for the money they are asking (especially for the GT500/ADM). I log in and the first thing I see in the GT350 section is 2020 GT350 needs a possible new motor thread. The GT350 has been a reliability disaster in many ways and not just with the well publicized Voodoo issues. I wouldn't trust Ford that they've changed their internal culture around that they now care about quality/reliability with the GT500. So one will have the pleasure of dealing with shitty Ford dealers and their ADM games, then the car breaks down and the new customer has an even more infuriating time with the crappy service department that hasn't been trained properly to take care of the car. Geezus, new GT350 splitters are still being installed incorrectly five or so years in. Chevy isn't much better, but a little in my experience.

As for all of the talk of lap times are pointless for almost everyone in this thread (including me) as they aren't attainable by us. Also, are you really going to pay 100k and up after ADM for your brand new GT500 and really go the 10/10ths needed to get these lap times (again even fewer here)? I know I leave some on the table as I like to leave the way I arrived at the track with the car in the same condition. These cars are within the time of it being a drivers race for us above average, but nowhere near pro level driver these times were attained by.

Also, almost twenty grand to gain a half of second for the CFTP pack over the base GT500, but people here are complaining about a track alignment being expensive? Plus the consumables for such a heavy car? I thought my ZL1 1LE was a pig at 38XX, but 42XX for the GT500 is mind blowing to me. I'll give Chevy credit that at least they are trying to go the other way with weight and are still offering manuals in most of their from what I can tell.

Last, I'm not the biggest interior guy, but 100k roughly gets you a Fusion shift knob and some CF (etc) parts thrown in to an otherwise S550 interior?

No thanks, carry on bickering here by people that most can't afford these cars and even fewer that can drive them to their potential. :like::rockon::crazy::giggle:
Thank you for your well thought out Chevrolet sales pitch. Much more interesting than a real people commercial. :giggle:
Sponsored