Waste Gate Install

jbostian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jamie
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang EcoBoost Premium
I have waste gate actuator that has been sitting on the shelf for a while. I am hoping to get it installed with the extra time off around the holidays. Does anyone happen to know what size the little C clip is? I have a tendency to drop things and I am certain I will lose that clip, so I would like to have an extra one on hand before I start.
Sponsored

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
Put a big rag under it to catch it.

It's a pretty easy install, IMO. Some people have used a little bit of low-pressure air to extend the actuator and they say that makes it easier. Personally, I did mine by hand and didn't think it needed excessive force.

peoples1234

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS
I don’t know the size, but you can get one from Ford for a whopping $31.79 plus shipping

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/ford-clip-w790436s900

Definitely do the rag, it went pretty well for me. I just stuck a microfiber cloth and it was there waiting for me. Someone should source a more reasonable replacement through, $31 for a small piece of metal is highway robbery.

OP
OP
jbostian

jbostian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jamie
Vehicle(s)
I don’t know the size, but you can get one from Ford for a whopping $31.79 plus shipping

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/ford-clip-w790436s900

Definitely do the rag, it went pretty well for me. I just stuck a microfiber cloth and it was there waiting for me. Someone should source a more reasonable replacement through, $31 for a small piece of metal is highway robbery.
Yikes, that is insane! I will most likely go the rag route. It seems like every time I start a project, I am missing something, so I was just trying to plan ahead for a change. Thanks for the info.

dausmus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost PP
Is there an equivalent to that ford c-clip? I have a nack for breaking shit lol

Sponsored

OP
OP
jbostian

jbostian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jamie
Vehicle(s)
Is there an equivalent to that ford c-clip? I have a nack for breaking shit lol
I haven't taken mine apart yet, but I believe it is just a standard e-clip, I just don't know the size. I was thinking about grabbing an assortment of sizes so I can find out what it is for sure and report back.

dausmus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost PP
I haven't taken mine apart yet, but I believe it is just a standard e-clip, I just don't know the size. I was thinking about grabbing an assortment of sizes so I can find out what it is for sure and report back.

Please do!

Thanks!!

PRG3k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo
Get a retrieving magnet. (looks like a telescoping antenna mast) You can pick them up cheap at any autoparts store. Slide the C clamp off with a flathead screwdriver while also holding the magnet to the clamp. Once it snaps off, It won't go anywhere. I've swapped wastegates several times and am still using the original c clamp thanks to that little mast.

OP
OP
jbostian

jbostian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jamie
Vehicle(s)
Get a retrieving magnet. (looks like a telescoping antenna mast) You can pick them up cheap at any autoparts store. Slide the C clamp off with a flathead screwdriver while also holding the magnet to the clamp. Once it snaps off, It won't go anywhere. I've swapped wastegates several times and am still using the original c clamp thanks to that little mast.
Great idea. Thanks for the tip.
Sponsored