Sponsored

Oil leak - self-inflicted

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase
So like many of you I changed my own oil and filter on my 2018 Mustang. Despite having several oil filter wrenches in my garage I did not have the 14 flute type. With the space available my strap wrench was not very effective.

So I went with hand tight and about 1/8th with the strap wrench. Not a problem or so I thought...and wasn't for 4k miles. Until I discovered a small bit of oil on my garage floor yesterday.

It has turned colder here and apparently just enough to unseal my filter. So I tightened by hand and 1/4th by strap wrench. Oh, and I just ordered the 74 flute filter wrench.

So the next time you read that someone went with hand tight and have never had a problem...well here you go.
Sponsored

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
Yeah I typically hand tighten myself, but grip strength of different people would allow a lot of variance of actual tightness.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I go as tight as I can hand grip. If I feel the filter casing flex because I’m gripping hard enough to turn, I know I’m good.

I think this is a common issue. My first change (post purchase) the filter had a leak due to not being tight enough from the dealer changing the oil.

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Yeah I typically hand tighten myself, but grip strength of different people would allow a lot of variance of actual tightness.
I am always more worried about breaking something hand tighting to far.

I don’t own a filter wrench though and also have never had one I could remove by hand. Sometimes two hands are need I will admit.

I think the rule of thumb here is it you need a wrench to get it off you most likely need one to put it on.

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
I have always hand tightened my filters and never had a leak. Wouldn't dream of putting a wrench to it to tighten it. I usually do use a wrench to remove it because it is hot.

Sponsored

Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
Gotta ask ... everyone doing their own changes is lubricating the gasket/seal on the filter before installing, right? I use what was recommended for piston aircraft oil filters: Dow Corning #4 Dielectric grease (or clean oil in a pinch),

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
Gotta ask ... everyone doing their own changes is lubricating the gasket/seal on the filter before installing, right? I use what was recommended for piston aircraft oil filters: Dow Corning #4 Dielectric grease (or clean oil in a pinch),
I just use clean oil. I also pour oil in the filter prior to installation.

18usc371

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
GT350 - Track Package - G0628
I just use clean oil. I also pour oil in the filter prior to installation.
I've a;ways done the exact same thing - without issues - on every vehicle I've owned.

Also, thanks to the advise/warnings of people on this forum, and buried in the owner's manual, an printed right on the filter (my avatar is the top of the filter), I do use a t-wrench on my 5.2.

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
I have never have used a wrench to tighten an oil filter on any car. Not sure where I got the info (maybe off the filter itself somewhere), but I always try to get 3/4 of a turn past initial seal contact.

I take filters off by any means. If a filter wrench doesn't do it, then a big pair of locking pliers never fail.

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

2018OFPP1?2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Vehicle(s)
'92 LX 5.0 Vert, 2018 GT PP2
I have never have used a wrench to tighten an oil filter on any car. Not sure where I got the info (maybe off the filter itself somewhere), but I always try to get 3/4 of a turn past initial seal contact.
+1

At least 3/4 of a turn after seal contact is what I learned also, and I haven't had a filter seal leak hand tightening with this method in 35 years of oil changes.

Cueball

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kia Optima EX, 2015 Ford Mustang GT Premium
Hand tighten here, pretty much as hard as I can turn. Never an issue. But I have Popeye forearms (not really). lol

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Clean oil, a must.

Reason: so the new seal 'slips' during installation, but also so the seal is less likely stick to the filter mount when removing the filter. I recall once seeing the result of not doing so, and the changer not checking to see if the seal on the old filter stayed put on the removed filter. Old filter came off, seal stayed on the mount, new filter went on over the old seal. The instant the key was turned, all the new oil spewed out the instant the pressure hit the stacked seals. The changer was not amused. I was, but it wasn't my garage floor.

To recap, check to be sure the seal stayed on the old filter, and lube the seal on the new filter.

Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
Clean oil, a must.

Reason: so the new seal 'slips' during installation, but also so the seal is less likely stick to the filter mount when removing the filter. I recall once seeing the result of not doing so, and the changer not checking to see if the seal on the old filter stayed put on the removed filter. Old filter came off, seal stayed on the mount, new filter went on over the old seal. The instant the key was turned, all the new oil spewed out the instant the pressure hit the stacked seals. The changer was not amused. I was, but it wasn't my garage floor.

To recap, check to be sure the seal stayed on the old filter, and lube the seal on the new filter.
... and be glad you don't have to change one of these (I converted my cars to spin-on, partly because it was nigh impossible to get the O-ring at the adapter end to seal up):

Bluedream

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT DIB premium pp, 2017 Focus RS
i have always done hand tight and never had a problem. I am paranoid aswell so I run the car for 10 mins after the change and inspect under the car and I also put a piece of cardboard there over night and check in the morning( for slow leaks). but I have never seen a leak
Sponsored