Using your R models carbon fiber wheels for HPDE events

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Last time I looked at the cost was in 2017 or so, and I know they were $2600 and $2300 at the time. But Ford increased the price in 2018 - maybe too many people were buying them? No idea, but I never cared much :) Dated information.

If Tom says $5K, it's $5K.
Actually retail is over 6k. The prices shot way up a while ago. Autonation white bear lake had them for a little over 5k.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible

Trj3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R
Go forged. Awesome wheels. Cheaper on the front end. May even be stronger? I’ve seen to the carbon fiber wheels fail under heavy track use.

Ltsrock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350r Lightning Blue
I use my CF wheels at the track but have experienced a few things of concern.

1) My CF wheels have tight wheel/caliper clearance compared to my "Forgelines", same spec (R spec) and offset. I found that there was damage to my calipers (all 4) due to rocks/rubber debris being caught up between the wheel/s and caliper/s. I don't have a pic available but can find one if requested

2) I have had a few offroad track experiences and that's when things can get expensive. During one of my excursions I had what I thought was weeds/debris packed between my tire and wheel, buy it turns out, that wasn't correct, I actually ruined the tire (See pic). The point is, that I got extremely fortunate that my tire held air all of the way back to the trailer. One huge track rule is to "Never get out of your car" unless it's on fire. Well, actually I didn't consider the severity of my possible situation. I got back on the track (when it was clear) and drove back to the paddock, that's when I realized that I almost ruined my CF wheel. So lot's to think about, sh..... can happen.
MSP Cu2 tire damage front.jpeg

Sponsored

OP
OP
stevezurga

stevezurga

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R.
Thanks for your inputs everyone. I appreciate it. I think I’ll just use the CF wheels full time and take my chances. They were put on the car for performance, and it’s such a great car to drive why ruin the formula. Cheers

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
I just has one replaced under Warranty and cost was 6K.

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford GT350R & Raptor; Ferrari 360, Aston Martin Vantage, Porsche Cayenne GTS, Jaguar XFR
If you are not going to use cf wheels on the track then why have them? Bragging rights? They are made to rip on the track! I can see not wanting to use them on the street for some reasons.

dewmsEleanor

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Before I run off and do the interwebz searching for lugs, does anyone know off hand where to get good lugs for the OEM CF 350R wheels? I just bought the set from lightrules and will be needing new lugs in the near future. Thanks in advance!

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Before I run off and do the interwebz searching for lugs, does anyone know off hand where to get good lugs for the OEM CF 350R wheels? I just bought the set from lightrules and will be needing new lugs in the near future. Thanks in advance!
I wouldn't use the OEM for track. Get a set of lugs from msi racing. That is what I use for track events. Not cheap, but they are the best.

I dont know if you have an R, but you may be looking at new hubs or studs due to the CF wheel specs. MSI can help you with that too.

Sponsored

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford GT350R & Raptor; Ferrari 360, Aston Martin Vantage, Porsche Cayenne GTS, Jaguar XFR
Agree with Tom, oem lugs fall apart pretty quick. I paid like $70 for black gorilla lugs for my R and they have gotten a ton of traffic (10x what the oem lugs got before they started stripping and deforming) and all still are great save one did strip on me when I have to switch tires between sessions and didn’t have time to let them cool properly.

tracktardicus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Toyota 86
Go forged. Awesome wheels. Cheaper on the front end. May even be stronger? I’ve seen to the carbon fiber wheels fail under heavy track use.
The benefit of the CF wheels are twofold: weight and stiffness. CF wheels have significantly less unsprung weight than the best forged wheels.
Forged wheels will flex more than the CF wheels, which means less contact patch under load, which means less grip.
Carbon fiber is stronger than the best forged wheels as well-provided they are not subjected to forces from directions they were not designed to be subjected to. The biggest drawback is barrel clearance in relation to the calipers-even in street use, barrel scoring as the result of rocks or other debris getting caught between the barrel and the caliper is common.

https://motoiq.com/tested-carbon-revolution-carbon-fiber-wheels/

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...rbon-fiber-gt350r-wheels-vs-al-wheels.109837/

tracktardicus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Toyota 86

dewmsEleanor

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Hey guys thanks for all the replies and information will bookmark for reference.

Also @Tomster looks like you might be right. Since I have a base gt350, I'll have to order the R hubs due to the longer studs and then install those myself. Looks like its time to research changing gt350 hubs, yay!

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Hey guys thanks for all the replies and information will bookmark for reference.

Also @Tomster looks like you might be right. Since I have a base gt350, I'll have to order the R hubs due to the longer studs and then install those myself. Looks like its time to research changing gt350 hubs, yay!
you can buy the studs or just buy the R hubs. I would recommend the hubs. The msi racing studs are superior, however it is a pain in the ass to replace them all.
Sponsored