Sponsored

Tach on the Right?!

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Anyone else ever thought of this? Older mustangs (Fox body) had the tach on the right. My F150 is on the right. When you’re driving, especially a manual with left hand on the wheel, the tach on the right is sooooo much easier and more natural to look at. You guys agree, or no? Why did they get away from this? Maybe for the same reason I stated but they consider the speedo more important than the tach (I do not)?

Just one of those Sunday evening, drinking a beer, dumb questions.
Sponsored

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
That is actually a great idea.

I think it can be done By opening the cluster and switching everything over unless the pcb is one piece than is not going to work.

OP
OP

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Uugggg...been shopping for a S197 car and have realized the tach is on the right!! WTF?? Wonder why on earth they keep going back and fourth??

JZTRK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R''Ken'' 2016 GT350 2020 GT "Mollie"
the majority of track racer's look at the tack when driving instead of mph. like me go go go go 4500-5500-6k top of 2nd BREAK!!!! Turn.......... GAS IT !!!!!

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Anyone else ever thought of this? Older mustangs (Fox body) had the tach on the right. My F150 is on the right. When you’re driving, especially a manual with left hand on the wheel, the tach on the right is sooooo much easier and more natural to look at. You guys agree, or no? Why did they get away from this? Maybe for the same reason I stated but they consider the speedo more important than the tach (I do not)?

Just one of those Sunday evening, drinking a beer, dumb questions.
I felt the same way, then I set up the shift lights and it didn't matter any more. I have a digital GPS speedo that's on top of the dash on the far left where I can glance at it, and the shift lights tell me where I am in the rev range. No need to look down.

Sponsored

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
I figured thats why they had the shift light setup. seems to be awesome for track use.

OP
OP

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
So what? Even with a shift light, still why swap the tach back to the left side?

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
So what? Even with a shift light, still why swap the tach back to the left side?
because street car and most people will be looking at speedo more often. at least thats my guess lol

OP
OP

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Agreed, but that faaar form explains why it was on the right for the last two generations of street car mustangs and then put it back on the left for the most track focused mustang ever built.

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Agreed, but that faaar form explains why it was on the right for the last two generations of street car mustangs and then put it back on the left for the most track focused mustang ever built.
Probably because with the RPMs wrapping around to 8250 the needle is center with it on the left. if the tach was on the right the needle might be behind the steering wheel.

Sponsored
OP
OP

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Just found another example of this. There must have been something going on as an industry standard around the 2014-2015 timeframe. The S550 put the tack back on the left (in '15), but check this out. I've been shopping for a used Lexus IS250 to replace one I just lost in a crash. up through 2013, the IS has the tach on the right. But with the release of a whole new bodystyle in '14, the tack went back to the left. Meh, just interesting.

GTthree50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic Grey 2017 GT350
Probably because with the RPMs wrapping around to 8250 the needle is center with it on the left. if the tach was on the right the needle might be behind the steering wheel.
This was my thinking. Other than dead center being perfect all the other cars I’ve ever owned were all on the left.

OP
OP

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
This was my thinking. Other than dead center being perfect all the other cars I’ve ever owned were all on the left.
Obviously we're all just speculating, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that ain't it, since other manufacturers are doing the same thing. And even with that, I'd still rather have my tach on the right, by a substantial margin. I've never gotten use to having a tach on the left. Regardless of where the needle swings, it takes effort to look to the left at the tach. If it were on the right, it would be dead in the line of sight of your sight picture for where you (or at least I) line up my hood with the road, apex, etc.

First world problems, right.