Sponsored

These bad boyz have arrived (lightweight rotors, raised lateral links): Will share impressions soon

OP
OP
valentinoamoro

valentinoamoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT
I've done the same in the past. It's especially hard AFTER the work is already done. Last time it happened to me (actually it in fact was an alignment - on a lowered Ford Flex that they wanted to charge me $350 for, citing "shop rate" for 2 extra hours - and they completed the alignment in ONE hour) - I told the service manager "I will pay this... but please know it's the LAST time I set foot in this dealership". The service manager knocked $100 off on the spot.
Agreed...it's short sighted, especially with repeat customers (think multi-year multi projects). Oh well, you live, you learn.

The good news is I'm thrilled with the where the car is so this project has wrapped up. All in all despite all the mods this was there were only two "bad" incidents, this one and one where a shop broke the nut on a wheel and had to drill through the stud (and charged me 4 hours of labor for that). Considering the mods I have, its a miracle I got off that light. I never had to go back for mistakes and loved each mod I made.

Next time though I will buy a car that is "OEM ready". In this case it would have been the GT350R (spend the extra 14-15K over what I've put in) which is the car I targeted with my mods and I'd live with the buzzing and potentially unreliable engine. A lot less time (which for me is the scarce resource, not money) and hassle (assuming the engine wouldnt blow up after warranty, LOL). When I bought the Stang I didnt have kids, so had time for modifications!
Sponsored

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
I was thinking of doing the same exact upgrades, but after hearing $750 for an alignment?! I think I might hold off. haha Do you think it was worth the $$ for the performance? Is it a significant difference? At those prices I'd probably be into them for about $1300 between parts and labor (lateral/tension links & bumpsteer kit).

I agree about the GT350, sometimes I wish I would have saved more and bought one.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
$750 for an alignment?! I think I might hold off. haha
That is exceptionally high. Most shops will be able to do it with bumpsteer for $100-120. I have a lifetime alignment that I paid $200 for with my guy so I can go in anytime.

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
That is exceptionally high. Most shops will be able to do it with bumpsteer for $100-120. I have a lifetime alignment that I paid $200 for with my guy so I can go in anytime.
That's not bad at all. I guess I should look around beforehand and see what they're charging around here.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
@valentinoamoro - if it makes you feel any better, you may possibly have gotten a better bumpsteer adjustment than most. If you actually measure the bumpsteer the way Steeda indicates in their instructions - that means: getting all of the alignment specs completed and set and then jacking down the suspension with a winch in small increments (or somehow pushing the car down in another fashion to compress the suspension) and measuring the toe change at each interval, adjusting bumpsteer, and repeating the process again and again until it's as close to zero change throughout the travel. If they did that, it could take quite a bit of time. AFAIK most shops wouldn't do that much less use high end bumpsteer measuring equipment. Usually they do it the quick and easy way and basically eyeball it, make things parallel and good to go. Maybe they didn't do any of that and overcharged you. I don't know.

In any event, you got the result you wanted. I wouldn't feel bad about it. You were willing to pay it, you did, and you got the result you wanted. Sometimes car mods like this are hard when you can't do it yourself or don't want to. I've been one of those in many situations and sometimes you make it out of there spending more than you wanted to. And they did a good job sounds like so that's all that matters.

Sponsored

OP
OP
valentinoamoro

valentinoamoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT
@valentinoamoro - if it makes you feel any better, you may possibly have gotten a better bumpsteer adjustment than most. If you actually measure the bumpsteer the way Steeda indicates in their instructions - that means: getting all of the alignment specs completed and set and then jacking down the suspension with a winch in small increments (or somehow pushing the car down in another fashion to compress the suspension) and measuring the toe change at each interval, adjusting bumpsteer, and repeating the process again and again until it's as close to zero change throughout the travel. If they did that, it could take quite a bit of time. AFAIK most shops wouldn't do that much less use high end bumpsteer measuring equipment. Usually they do it the quick and easy way and basically eyeball it, make things parallel and good to go. Maybe they didn't do any of that and overcharged you. I don't know.

In any event, you got the result you wanted. I wouldn't feel bad about it. You were willing to pay it, you did, and you got the result you wanted. Sometimes car mods like this are hard when you can't do it yourself or don't want to. I've been one of those in many situations and sometimes you make it out of there spending more than you wanted to. And they did a good job sounds like so that's all that matters.

Thanks man. Actually, I can confirm they did all of the things you mention (there are marks on my dirty car in spots they were using to push the car and they told me they they did what you said, apparently it was very involved). They also said the car is not exactly symmetric between left to right.

Part of me wonders what would have happened if I had not purchased the bumpsteer kit. I didnt have bumpsteer prior.

Yup, car is AWESOME. I love my GT. 4 years on and it never fails to put a smile in my face, whether it on autocross, bombing around Mt. Rainier or just starting it up after work in the office garage or doing a slight low speed naughty drift out of the gym parking lot. LOL.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Thanks man. Actually, I can confirm they did all of the things you mention (there are marks on my dirty car in spots they were using to push the car and they told me they they did what you said, apparently it was very involved). They also said the car is not exactly symmetric between left to right.

Part of me wonders what would have happened if I had not purchased the bumpsteer kit. I didnt have bumpsteer prior.

Yup, car is AWESOME. I love my GT. 4 years on and it never fails to put a smile in my face, whether it on autocross, bombing around Mt. Rainier or just starting it up after work in the office garage or doing a slight low speed naughty drift out of the gym parking lot. LOL.
:beer::beer: Yeah man. The lateral links are some magic, especially when the rest of the car is already setup. You would have wanted the bumpsteer kit trust me. After installing the lateral links, your bumpsteer would have been further off than it was before. You would feel it.

ModularKid21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 GT
Vehicle Showcase
I may have to get in on these links. I don’t feel the “tipping” or body rolling under turn in but my car is lowered an inch so no doubt there have been geometry changes. Perhaps I’m not pushing the car hard enough. Good info/feedback here op

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I may have to get in on these links. I don’t feel the “tipping” or body rolling under turn in but my car is lowered an inch so no doubt there have been geometry changes. Perhaps I’m not pushing the car hard enough. Good info/feedback here op
The thing is I don't think most people would notice until after installing the arms. You can't just imagine what it feels like without experiencing it.
And it's not just body roll that changes. The steering characteristics change quite noticeably. It becomes lighter and also more progressive (it loads up nicely and return to center more smoothly). I've been beating on this drum for quite awhile.

One of my complaints about this car, especially after I started modding it, is the steering. Even after installing handling springs, shocks and struts, and sway bars, this didn't change. The steering became more responsive due to the stiffer suspension, but that's about it. After installing the lateral links and the tension links with the bearings, all my qualms about the steering went away entirely and it is what sports car steering should feel like IMO.

Sponsored

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
The thing is I don't think most people would notice until after installing the arms. You can't just imagine what it feels like without experiencing it.
And it's not just body roll that changes. The steering characteristics change quite noticeably. It becomes lighter and also more progressive (it loads up nicely and return to center more smoothly). I've been beating on this drum for quite awhile.

One of my complaints about this car, especially after I started modding it, is the steering. Even after installing handling springs, shocks and struts, and sway bars, this didn't change. The steering became more responsive due to the stiffer suspension, but that's about it. After installing the lateral links and the tension links with the bearings, all my qualms about the steering went away entirely and it is what sports car steering should feel like IMO.
Stop making me want to buy more parts. Ugh lol

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I also recommend for those considering the lateral links to get the tension link with bearings as well. Or use the OEM tension links and get the bearing pressed in. Get rid of that horrid bushing that twists and binds. After both sets of arms steering is excellent, and I like how it rides better than before.

dsp4848

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Magnetic
I just installed the Steeda extended ball joint lateral links, tension links with bearings, and bumpsteer kit and agree with this. It's a very accurate way to describe the change. If you don't perform this upgrade, you won't notice what you're missing out on until you do upgrade. I've been lowered an inch for around 3 years and this is the first time I felt like I've gotten my front end to how it should be.

As for charging $750 for alignment and bump steer, they must have really dialed in your bump steer kit. You're thrilled with the car and that's what really matters. I just got my car aligned yesterday at a performance shop that specializes in suspension and when I had talked to the shop about dialing in the bump steer, they said it would take a long time and recommended I adjust the spacers myself based off of driving experience. I'm sure I could have pushed for it, but then I would have ended up paying for it big time, as this shop's hour rate isn't cheap.

Now to convince myself to get two piece rotors...
Sponsored