Honey Badger's Completely Off-the-Rails Race Car Build and Track Adventure Thread

Tonymustang302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Turbo GT, 2019 GT350 racecar, 2021 GT500
God i hope to get to this point someday. My daughter loves both my mustangs so im hoping to get her into cars.

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I've read through the whole thread. Just insane! Keep up the good work. I hope to start tracking the R some. What trailer do you use to bring the car around with? Thanks
Thanks! I have a 24ft Interstate 1 trailer that I co-bought with family and then proceeded to fully acquire. I wouldn't buy it again because it's heavy and isn't as stiff as a good ATC trailer, but it gets the job done. It's been reliable, though. Truck + trailer now have 21k towing miles together. Been hard to justify selling it for $4k to spend $20k.

20191123_154952.jpg
20191123_154931.jpg
20191123_154847.jpg

I’ve read that u are going full cage. What does that weight, my guess 100 - 125lb?
Not sure, tbh. I haven't fully read up on the specs of the Watson cage. Hoping to offset a decent amount of it by removing interior structure, wiring, and sound deadener/sealant, though.

God i hope to get to this point someday. My daughter loves both my mustangs so im hoping to get her into cars.
Nice! Once shes old enough, get her behind the wheel and she'll love it. In the meantime, if you spend time with her + the car she'll love it. Kids love what dad loves as you know!

Love following this thread. Keep it up dude
Thanks! Been quiet since I have quite a few simultaneous things going on at once (coolant tweaks, prepping for winter engine maintenance, more weight reduction, and a small aero mod). Trying to get this buttoned up before COTA this weekend!

20191211_012759.jpg

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Sneak peek. Prototype is done. Weighs 8.5lbs. OEM R splitter + APR splitter weighed 18.3lbs. Nice!

15761295584393051431220379532602.jpg

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
Is your plan to lay glass mat over the wood or recreate the whole piece in fiberglass using a lighter core material?

Nice weight savings off the nose. Figure a few lbs added for the glass mat/resin.

Austinj427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
FWIW, I bought my 24' ATC raven for 10.5k that had been used like 3 times.

The deals are out there, as long as you don't want a bad ass finished model with cabinets and extra lighting.

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Is your plan to lay glass mat over the wood or recreate the whole piece in fiberglass using a lighter core material?

Nice weight savings off the nose. Figure a few lbs added for the glass mat/resin.
Plan to get a foam or nomex core and then lay a layer of CF over that. Will add a few tunnels and then fences along the edge of the blade up front. Since I'll be able to remove the belly pan, I'm hoping to remove another 5-10 lbs.

Also scheming up somesome ideas to vent the radiator ducting directly through the hood and I see a ton of weight savings there, too. All this will come after coilovers and caging, tho.

FWIW, I bought my 24' ATC raven for 10.5k that had been used like 3 times.

The deals are out there, as long as you don't want a bad ass finished model with cabinets and extra lighting.
Yeah. You got a deal on that. I'll likely wait and grab a fully finished 28fter once I start racing and touring around more. They're so nice

Reactions: TDC

5.2 liters of democracy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Vehicle(s)
2017 Avalanche Gray GT350
Plan to get a foam or nomex core and then lay a layer of CF over that. Will add a few tunnels and then fences along the edge of the blade up front. Since I'll be able to remove the belly pan, I'm hoping to remove another 5-10 lbs.

Also scheming up somesome ideas to vent the radiator ducting directly through the hood and I see a ton of weight savings there, too. All this will come after coilovers and caging, tho.

Yeah. You got a deal on that. I'll likely wait and grab a fully finished 28fter once I start racing and touring around more. They're so nice
What coilovers do you plan to go with? I've been eyeing DSC's coilovers, but that's a fairly large pill to swallow when I still need a reliable trailer.

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
What coilovers do you plan to go with? I've been eyeing DSC's coilovers, but that's a fairly large pill to swallow when I still need a reliable trailer.
I'm leaning MCS since 5.2 Motorsports has the most experience with valving and setup for this car in a race environment. If not them, the JRi kit from Cortex looks appealing.

Originally I wanted magneride-like setup, but not sure it's worth the complexity and investment. Ultimately plan to rip as much of the electronics as I can out of the car to reduce the likelihood of wiring issues. Have already begun researching aftermarket ECUs :)

BeastAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks! I have a 24ft Interstate 1 trailer that I co-bought with family and then proceeded to fully acquire. I wouldn't buy it again because it's heavy and isn't as stiff as a good ATC trailer, but it gets the job done. It's been reliable, though. Truck + trailer now have 21k towing miles together. Been hard to justify selling it for $4k to spend $20k.

20191123_154952.jpg
20191123_154931.jpg
20191123_154847.jpg
Thanks for the info. Is there any issues as far as loading and unloading with the 350 ride height? I see the race ramps on the left of the trailer. I would love to get a setup like that, just have to save my money and get the wife to buy it off..... I imagine having a side door would help a lot with the load/unload process.

I'm waiting for ford performance to release the 2020 schedule to get the complimentary race day with my 350R purchase. Cant wait...

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Thanks for the info. Is there any issues as far as loading and unloading with the 350 ride height? I see the race ramps on the left of the trailer. I would love to get a setup like that, just have to save my money and get the wife to buy it off..... I imagine having a side door would help a lot with the load/unload process.

I'm waiting for ford performance to release the 2020 schedule to get the complimentary race day with my 350R purchase. Cant wait...
You need to paint that trailer ruby red, and in black put your number on it with the phrase "just dont care". Oh and the truck too.

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350

You'll need race ramps or something similar. IIRC, you'll need about 11ft of ramp to do it. Side door will help, but winch it in. Only way to do it IMHO. These cars are too wide.

You need to paint that trailer ruby red, and in black put your number on it with the phrase "just dont care". Oh and the truck too.
Haha. hell yeah

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Working on editing some short footage, but here's a fun clip. I was really flirting with track limits this weekend and thus, "The Honey Badger Line" through the esses was dubbed :crackup::crackup::crackup:

Everyone was poking fun until they see how much time is gained. This is in the Instructor session, so everyone is moving a long pretty good :)

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Vmax increases with the square of the radius, so if you straighten out the Esses a lot by barely keeping 2 on the black, there is a lot of time there.

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Vmax increases with the square of the radius, so if you straighten out the Esses a lot by barely keeping 2 on the black, there is a lot of time there.
For sure, my data says 1.5 seconds compared to a 4 wheel on track line :)