Sponsored

Honest Comparison GT500 ZL1 1lE (THIS IS NOT A TROLL POST)

OP
OP
762Cat

762Cat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350, 17 Charger HC, 16 Challenger HC
To be fair the 0-150 mph time between the car and driver data is far from even, 3 seconds is an eternity , that and the trap speed delta despite not hooking up tells the story on straight line performance. Track performance though will be close as the alpha platform is an excellent chassis and the Goodyear 3R’s on the 1LE are almost slicks lol . I used them on my 350 R to replace the cup 2’s .As an aside I go to Roebling a lot too love it ! Here’s me in my rear wheel drive R8 from last week holding me over until my CFTP 500 comes in the spring . You can’t argue the 1LE is not the best value for track use , but specialness wise the delta may be more than the data .
That R8 is moving out dude! Very nice. Maybe I'll see ya at Roebling this year. Going to get the GT350 out there. Maybe bring the Hellcat back as well although that heavy monster about killed a set of PS4S shoulders in one day.

GT500 overall faster in a straight line. I concur always have and according to testing you are correct the gap widens past the 1/4 mile until 180 mph......:wink:. Irrelevant.....MOVE TO STRIKE!!! I know lol. The specialness point is well taken thats why I just bought the 2019 GT350 over the ZLE but it was also 12k Cheaper at the time.
Sponsored

OP
OP
762Cat

762Cat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I second this. I traded my 350 in on a ZL1 this summer for a couple of reasons...

1. I wanted something new, and the ZL1 incentives in June were bonkers
2. I want a GT500, but would like to wait on final reviews, and ADM cooldown
3. I'm also very interested in the C8 Z06, and would like to wait and see how it shakes out

I don't plan to keep the ZL1 forever, but have thoroughly enjoyed it for what is. If you can swing purchasing one while you wait out the GT500 market I would recommend it. I'd be very surprised if the ZL1 overall "bests" the GT500 in any trim. However, for the money, in the present, it is a lot of car!
Driving my friends M6 ZLE it's great. Congrats on the beast. I LOVE the active rev match. Down shifting becomes addictive. I can rev match and working the heel toeing in the 350 but that makes it so damn easy and smooth. That being said for me it'd be the A10.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
All those points have been addressed if you've read the entire thread or even the first post and I'm sorry but you are wrong. Fully disagree on the interior the ZLE is actually a bit nicer, the ride having driven it is bad but not that bad if you are car guy and the visibility is what it is but irrelevant for track work. Performance wise the cars are pretty damn close. The A10 transmission on the ZL1 1LE is by all accounts incredible...... "A supercharged V-8 with 650 horsepower and torque means the Camaro really doesn't need 10 gears, but the shifts are so quick and the programming is so spot on that it picks the perfect gear while you're concentrating on braking. There's no need to go to the paddles"...... that is what they had to say about it at the most recent lightning lap. There is certainly not 60K of difference when compared to the CFTP. The ZLE is 15th on the list of 269 cars at lightning lap just .8 tenths behind the Viper ACR and besting cars with 4 times the price tag. For perspective the GT350R sits at 41 and it's no slouch. Is the lightning lap the only measure of a car? Hell no, but it's one example of many that refute your argument. The only place the GT500 will dominate the ZLE is the 1/4 mile on a prepped surface. Non prepped thus far (not a ton of data) is even. I still think the GT500 is the better car if it makes you feel better. Final point...110hp down 25Tq and 200-400lbs depending on scale and who you believe.
You should definitely buy the Camaro if you think it's better. Since most people don't like the Camaro you can get a really good deal on one.

And since most people think the Ford is much better, the Ford will be a lot more difficult to purchase.

OP
OP
762Cat

762Cat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You should definitely buy the Camaro if you think it's better. Since most people don't like the Camaro you can get a really good deal on one.

And since most people think the Ford is much better, the Ford will be a lot more difficult to purchase.
I don't think it's better. I think it's close. I wholly agree on your second point. I'm a 2021 Gt500 shopper.

Maybe I should rephrase close..... Close in most respects with clear advantages to the 500 in few. Price gap and availability at this point is a chasm. I'm a year away and this whole discussion is designed to get peoples inputs. I've received some of great value including yours. Your last points are actually pretty spot on.

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Auto Ruby Red
Just remember guys.
You can get all the performance of a CFTP GT500 for $93,000
You don’t need painted stripes or a technology package to get that performance.
This is at MSRP of course.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I don't think it's better. I think it's close. I wholly agree on your second point. I'm a 2021 Gt500 shopper.

Maybe I should rephrase close..... Close in most respects with clear advantages to the 500 in few. Price gap and availability at this point is a chasm. I'm a year away and this whole discussion is designed to get peoples inputs. I've received some of great value including yours. Your last points are actually pretty spot on.
I was saying you think the Camaro is better because you think the cars are "pretty close" and the Camaro is cheaper. Not only is MSRP on the Camaro less, but you can get them under MSRP. I bet if you looked and were patient you could get a lightly used ZL1 1LE for a screaming deal.

If I were considering a Camaro, I would definitely pick a ZL1 over a ZL1 1LE. If I'm spending that kind of money I want to drive the car a lot. Not just a few track days and trips to the DQ. So I would want something fun to use for every day driving. But to me the SS 1LE is a better choice than either of the ZL1s. I am actually tempted by that car, but not by the ZL1.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
To be fair the 0-150 mph time between the car and driver data is far from even, 3 seconds is an eternity , that and the trap speed delta despite not hooking up tells the story on straight line performance. Track performance though will be close as the alpha platform is an excellent chassis and the Goodyear 3R’s on the 1LE are almost slicks lol . I used them on my 350 R to replace the cup 2’s .As an aside I go to Roebling a lot too love it ! Here’s me in my rear wheel drive R8 from last week holding me over until my CFTP 500 comes in the spring . You can’t argue the 1LE is not the best value for track use , but specialness wise the delta may be more than the data .
Curious, what was your max speed at the end of the front straight at Roebling in your GT350R? Best I could manage in a GT350 was 144mph before getting on the brakes for turn one.

OP
OP
762Cat

762Cat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was saying you think the Camaro is better because you think the cars are "pretty close" and the Camaro is cheaper. Not only is MSRP on the Camaro less, but you can get them under MSRP. I bet if you looked and were patient you could get a lightly used ZL1 1LE for a screaming deal.

If I were considering a Camaro, I would definitely pick a ZL1 over a ZL1 1LE. If I'm spending that kind of money I want to drive the car a lot. Not just a few track days and trips to the DQ. So I would want something fun to use for every day driving. But to me the SS 1LE is a better choice than either of the ZL1s. I am actually tempted by that car, but not by the ZL1.
I hear ya but I'm not interested in the regular ZL1. My case it would be driven a couple times a week and used as a track weapon like the GT350. I drive all my cars every single week the weather permits but my daily is the Hellcat Charger. I prefer the peak performance model over the regular ZL1 for my personal intended purposes. The SS 1LE is an absolute bargain on that we also agree.

AND NOW!!! The chains of the couch are lifted. Getting in the GT350 for a lil fun and some Christmas shopping. Cheers boys!

OP
OP
762Cat

762Cat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Curious, what was your max speed at the end of the front straight at Roebling in your GT350R? Best I could manage in a GT350 was 144mph before getting on the brakes for turn one.
Also curious. I'll be taking the 350 there this year. Hellcat Charger was 157mph as a data point with 155 consistently. Up on power and torque and still great breaks but I'm sure I'll break later in the 350...assuming my heel toe confidence is up???

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
But to me the SS 1LE is a better choice than either of the ZL1s. I am actually tempted by that car, but not by the ZL1.
even the 2020 SS+1LE are being advertised for 18% off MSRP. A '19 C7+Z51+2LT is now down to 30% off. I have it bookmarked just to see how long that sucker will go. Huh, 2020 ZL1 and 1LE also down to 11% off.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
How about both? If you can swing it, there's nothing like the variety tossed in with your other nice rides.

That said, from what we know so far the new GT500 is shaping up to be one hell of an all-rounder. It's everything the last gen was not, I was never satisfied or really impressed completely with my '07 GT500. This new iteration is what I wanted and hoped that car to be.

I've held the pink slip for my lowly GT for a couple of years, and have been in talks with Shelby American to send it their way for the widebody conversion, then twin-turbo what would be my version of the Aluminator XS in it afterward. But unless the DCT turns out to be made of glass, I also have visions of just finding a GT500 in a couple of years instead.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
How about both? If you can swing it, there's nothing like the variety tossed in with your other nice rides.

That said, from what we know so far the new GT500 is shaping up to be one hell of an all-rounder. It's everything the last gen was not, I was never satisfied or really impressed completely with my '07 GT500. This new iteration is what I wanted and hoped that car to be.

I've held the pink slip for my lowly GT for a couple of years, and have been in talks with Shelby American to send it their way for the widebody conversion, then twin-turbo what would be my version of the Aluminator XS in it afterward. But unless the DCT turns out to be made of glass, I also have visions of just finding a GT500 in a couple of years instead.
How about neither? And just get a Hyundai veloster. It was the performance car of the year after all.:giggle:

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
:cwl:

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
Just remember guys.
You can get all the performance of a CFTP GT500 for $93,000
You don’t need painted stripes or a technology package to get that performance.
This is at MSRP of course.
have you seen someone claim an MSRP deal on one? i have not even seen someone attempt to say that yet and the internets is known for tall tales lol

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Auto Ruby Red
have you seen someone claim an MSRP deal on one? i have not even seen someone attempt to say that yet and the internets is known for tall tales lol
Not in person.
I believe one person on here is getting a CFTP at MSRP.
However it is very very far from the norm.
Sponsored