Sponsored

Patent hints at return of the Mustang glass roof option?

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
Just give me a damn targa top or hard top vert.
Sponsored

Paul.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT TT
Glass roof was far and away the coolest option I've ever had on any Mustang ive ever owned. To me, one of the big drawbacks of the 15+ is no glass roof option.

Paul.

tokuzumi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Escalade ESV
No one selected the glass roof option because it was $2000, and it didn't even open. Most vehicles charge about $1200-1500 for a sunroof, and it at least opens. I have been casually searching for a S197 GT with a manual transmission and the glass roof. But they are like big foot sightings. Someone at my work has one. 2013/14, Blue, GT, manual, glass roof, recaro seats, with the 8" MFT. While I'd prefer to get the S550 because of the IRS, I'd take that car all day every day. Maybe when I'm ready to buy, I'll ask him if he wants to sell.

If Ford decides to do the glass roof again, don't price it like the glass is made of gold and make it a standalone option (it was on the S197, but maybe dealers only decked out cars with the glass roof, so the MSRP was $$$$$$$$$$). But most buyers want infotainment and leather.

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 premium mustang gt black accent package
No one selected the glass roof option because it was $2000, and it didn't even open. Most vehicles charge about $1200-1500 for a sunroof, and it at least opens. I have been casually searching for a S197 GT with a manual transmission and the glass roof. But they are like big foot sightings. Someone at my work has one. 2013/14, Blue, GT, manual, glass roof, recaro seats, with the 8" MFT. While I'd prefer to get the S550 because of the IRS, I'd take that car all day every day. Maybe when I'm ready to buy, I'll ask him if he wants to sell.

If Ford decides to do the glass roof again, don't price it like the glass is made of gold and make it a standalone option (it was on the S197, but maybe dealers only decked out cars with the glass roof, so the MSRP was $$$$$$$$$$). But most buyers want infotainment and leather.
More than likely the price will still be close to 2000 if it’s offered. Fords moonroofs for other cars are close to 2000 dollars. A sunroof is also typically small and because it’s not the whole roof doesn’t have to be a structural part. On the other hand you have to make a glass roof as damage resistant as possible since I’m guessing it would be a pain to replace the whole glass roof.

tokuzumi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Escalade ESV
Glass panel on the S197 was small due to the rake of the windshield and the rear glass. Hardly larger than a traditional sunroof.

Sponsored

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0

My son has a 13 GT500 in Cali with the glass roof (and all options) Quite rare on those too.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
At least the glass top gives more helmet room. It's a bit tight in my 18GT, and I'm only 5'11".

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 premium mustang gt black accent package
Glass panel on the S197 was small due to the rake of the windshield and the rear glass. Hardly larger than a traditional sunroof.
Just took a look at some pics you’re correct the actual opening you could see out of was smaller. The whole roof looks like it was glass though just that the sections that were needed for structural reinforcement were also covered by glass yet not open to be able to see outside.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Glass roof? Nothing that some clear ceramic tint can't take care of in regards to heat. I'd be more worried about rocks having more surface area to break it.

Last edited:

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
It kind of reminds me of what happened to my hairline until I shaved it off which I guess makes me a Mustang convertible now :) I liked the one on the previous Mustangs my neighbour had one with the glass roof on an 09 or 2010 or so.

Sponsored

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
Coolest glass roof by far was the 996 911 Targa. Glass top slid back under the rear window when opened.

okfoz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 Roush Stage 3
I didn't even know this was an option until today... Honestly I am not a fan of glass tops, I have had 3 moon roofs, and several T-top cars, I never open them or take the tops off, in the day I hate having the sun beat down on me so I just end up covering it anyway... Personally I would prefer a convertible, The advantage I see to a convertible is there is no blind spots with the top down, this just allows you to get skin cancer quicker.

MX5Racer

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rixclix.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Although its drawn on top a (real) Mustang, I'm guessing they're reserving the patent to use on the Mach-e. Makes more sense for that to have a glass roof. And you're all right: lets see a hard top convertible!

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
I'd like to see a large sun-roof or targa roof.
Sponsored