Sponsored

So, my step-son wants to buy a Mustang.

13razorbackfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
I think some people aren't being truthful.

I pay $200/month full coverage on my GT with a sparkling clean driving record at 38 years old.

When I was 18, my new 2002 Mustang GT cost me $550/month to insure. My car payment was $500.
I'm 43 and perfect record on a $47k 2019 with 50/100/50 and its $85 the kicker is the 1k deductible but even then it would only increase maybe $15 a month at most if I went with a $500 deductible. Send me a PM if you want my agents info at State Farm. Also have free roadside and under and uninsured coverage. On my 2013 and 2016 F250s crewcab diesels which are a lot more expensive than my Mustang I pay $ 185 a month total, that's $92 per truck and they are in a much higher weight class as far as insurance companies are concerned, on a commercial policy with 100/300/100 coverage and a $500 deductible with the same un and underinsured motorists coverage
Sponsored

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
does he ride a motorcyle? wet clutches have no problem with that. You can hang a car on the clutch too. I just wouldn't do it for much longer than 10 seconds at a time and not at elevated rpm.
Nope, no bike, just (At the time) a Honda Civic SI. Holding a car on hill with a dry clutch though would heat up the linings something nasty. I find it sad that new cars have the anti-rollback "feature". I hated it on the mustang and turned it off after maybe five take-offs. I can do it better with my left foot slipping the clutch as I simultaneously apply the gas whilst releasing the hand brake with the right hand and the wheel on the left. Takes some getting used to but it works great. Doesn't "hang up" the brake as much as the car doing it for me. That being said, I can usually roll less than 2 or 3 inches just using normal clutch application.

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I've been with Costco (Ameriprise) insurance for over 15 years. Always the cheapest for auto, even cheaper than USAA. But, having family in the insurance business, every single person has something different that affects their premium. Insurance companies discriminate more than anything else out there.

My insurance went up less than $100 a month when I went from insuring my 2003 SRT-4 (Liability only) to my 2015 Mustang GT (Full coverage). What's scarier? A 2006 Viper and a 2014 c7 corvette were within about $20 a month of the Mustang.

Getting old has it's benefits I guess. Oh how I miss my 21 year old spine though...

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
Interesting comments on insurance. I switched from a 16 Hyundai elantra to my 19 gt and my insurance went down $35 a month. The mustang was considered "safer" because of the back up camera...:crackup:

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I was thinking more about this on the way home. I sit in an hour of traffic to go 18 miles, so the mind has time to wonder. Anyways, you could make the GT work. Although you might pay insurance for 435HP, you can tune it out. With HP Tuners (Or just paying a tuner) you can reduce the rev limiter, change the driver demand torque table, or retard the crap out of the spark and play with the cams. You could even re-map the gas pedal so that 100% throttle commands only 50% throttle.
Or just use the valet key/mode (ĐśyKey) ? and make the car do 65 mph tops :D

Sponsored

Fenrir

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Mustang GT PP1 Velocity Blue
Interesting comments on insurance. I switched from a 16 Hyundai elantra to my 19 gt and my insurance went down $35 a month. The mustang was considered "safer" because of the back up camera...:crackup:
For everyone's info, it turns out that insurance rates aren't just based on your vehicle, age, marital status, sex, and driving record. Location also plays a great deal into it. My rates were naturally lower ontop of going from a 1LE Camaro to a Mustang GT because I went to Texas which has lower rates due to the location. Super strange. If you live in the northeast your rates are generally higher than in the midwest. I got most of this from a very talkative and friendly insurance agent.

green97probe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2014 Edge
Vehicle Showcase
I switched from Nationwide to Erie and my insurance dropped about $300 per month for both my Edge and Mustang for better coverage.

They weren't on my side after all.

CrackedHorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 Mustang GT/CS; 15 Mustang GT
I'm surprised that some guys wouldn't buy a car that is 3 years old with 60k. Mileage numbers don't tell you a whole lot.

Earlier this year I bought an 09 GT/CS with only 27k miles on it.

It had some seals leaking, burned oil, and needed a pilot bearing. I could also tell the clutch had been swapped out. Car had 3 or 4 previous owners.

I talked to the most recent former owner and he said he took great care if the car as did the guy before him. Well...maybe but the car would shut for weeks on end and when it was driven it was for the fun factor so it was driven pretty hard. For all I know the oil was changed in 2 year intervals due to its low use.

Couple weeks ago I found a 15 GT with 60k and traded in the 09. For the $5k difference it was worth it to me (assuming no huge repairs are needed like any other car). This car has 1 previous owner only and the guy lived way out in the sticks so I can easily imagine how many miles are highway.

There are a lot of factors at play when it comes to buying abused car and its predicted longevity.

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Or just use the valet key/mode (ĐśyKey) ? and make the car do 65 mph tops :D
Mine doesn't have it - didn't know it was an option. Not that bad of an idea so long as freeway speeds are slow.

tokuzumi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Escalade ESV
TIL Mustangs with 60k miles on them are close to end of life. Most of those miles are probably highway, so basically 0 wear and tear on the car other than tires. As long as the oil has been changed regularly and the air filter is clean, $21k is a good deal for the vehicle. Should go another 140k miles as long as maintenance continues.

Doing a nationwide search on Autotrader, $21k is in line for a car with that mileage.

Also, when you narrow the search to private sellers only, you get stuff like this;

PoorMustang.jpg

And he's trying to sell it for above KBB value. NO TEST DRIVES WITHOUT MONEY IN HAND! I KNOW WHAT I HAVE!

Sponsored

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I'm not positive if the Mustang shows this, but many vehicles have a method to view engine hours. That plus the mileage gives you a lot of info.

My van has around 4500 hours on it and 51,000 miles. Average speed is 11.3mph
My truck has 9500 hours on it and 211,000 miles. Average speed is 22.2 mph. Previous owner drove it like crazy but was a Porsche mechanic and took really good care of it.

Which one drove more highway miles? Yes, the van did a LOT of idling. Both of these numbers are bad, but for SoCal they are typical when traffic frequently is slower than 1st gear at idle RPM. I haven't bothered checking the Mustang, because it is "new" at 27k.

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Camaro does and the GTI too if I'm not confused.
I had a GTI Rabbit 8v (1982) "The one that started the hot hatch" a long time ago. Great car, fairly quick, but a low top speed because of the tight ratio gearbox. Man did it handle though!

BrianGT2015

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP, 2015 Mustang Eco Convertible
One of my buddies when he turned 16 in 2004 got a 2003 Cobra. I am on this forum today and have a wife and kids. He unfortunately is in the ground. Point of the story, a 16 year old with 400 hp at his disposal an a manual transmission is not, does not, and will not respect the power the machine puts out unless he has grown up around that stuff. His 16th birthday was on May 6th 2004 on a Thursday. Phone call on May 8th 2004 Saturday 9:03 PM. He lost it showing out and plowed into a ditch, over a barbed wire fence, rolling over and smashing into a tree roof first. Car was in a U shape around the tree. He was smashed into the floor board. Closed casket. The officer who worked the scene I knew personally. He said judging from the tire marks it looked like he did about a 50 foot burn out, caught traction, and you could see where the car kicked sideways and followed the path of destruction. Peer pressure is at that age is strong, the need to impress a female is high, and being reckless an irresponsible is going to get him or someone killed. I'm not saying your son is going to do it. Just think about it for a minute. He wasn't intoxicated according to his toxicology report, he was trying to impress some people with his new car.

Good judgement comes from experience, Experience comes from bad judgement.

Now on to your question. Nope, you can find a better deal if you are willing to drive and look around more on line. Hell you can get a fully loaded GT PP car for 21-26 with about the same mileage if you shop around.

BrianGT2015

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP, 2015 Mustang Eco Convertible
You can get in the same amount of trouble in any car really it’s all about whether he’s responsible enough or not. Then again this might not be his first performance car and for all we know his stepson could be in his late 20’s or older.

As for the car I wouldn’t call it a “deal” I’d say the price is reasonable for the miles year and trim. Now having said that there’s a few 2017 base performance package mustangs in my area for around 24000-25000 but with very low miles one even has 6000 miles on it.

At 60000 miles on the one he’s looking it at it’s time to look at what maintenance it might need. Possibly brakes, tires, rotors, fluid swaps, etc. And if it needs a lot of those items it might just be best to look for a bit more expensive one but with lower miles and no maintenance needs.
I would have to disagree, I had bought a dodge neon for 500 bucks once. You can not get in trouble with that car. It was way to slow.
Sponsored