Sponsored

Skylink (by Inilex) GPS Tracking module Install / Placement HELP NEEDED!

usnbrendon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brendon
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I had a 2015 Mustang GT Premium that I bought new in Dallas area and had the dealership install Skylink GPS tracking right outta the gate. This past January the 2015 GT was totaled in a hydroplaning accident that put the car into the cement center barrier. Subsequently, we pulled our belongings from the car--including the Skylink module since we own it & with a little finagling I was already aware I could transfer it to the identically spec'd 2016 Stang that we purchased with insurance proceeds.

Problem is... FORD dealerships won't tell customers where the Skylink module is actually installed in the car. They won't allow the owner to be present when the car goes into the service bay with the Skylink installer, who we were informed travels around from area dealership to dealership and is only at any given dealership on 2 or 3 days out of a month & even then for limited hours.

So while we were waiting for the dealership and USAA to get on the same page regarding repairability of the 2015, we asked the dealership to PLEASE REMOVE THE SKYLINK MODULE, which they said they would ask the technician to do the next time he was in. At some point over that 16 days once they totaled it out, someone removed the module & kept it with the keyfob until we arrived to retrieve our things from the wrecked car prior to it being hauled away to auction. The reason I say "someone" is because I distinctly understood the Ford Service Dept Manager state that he had one of his technicians pull out the SKYLINK module but he had to go locate it for us, as he was not certain where it had been placed.

Thus....apparently...seemingly, Ford Service Techs do know where Skylink modules are installed in vehicles (or can gain access to that info), even though they don't tell owners where module is located. I know. I asked. At this stage, after logging into my Skylink account & updating all the user-editable information (the 2015 VIN was locked) & then calling their customer support number to provide them the 2016 VIN & some PII they required to verify my identity, the module has been successfully transferred within Skylink tracker database from the 2015 to the 2016.

All that's left to do according to their customer support is I have to connect it to wherever on the wiring harness they already have provisioned for it & log into my Skylink account dashboard to verify the GPS location online matches the physical location of the car. If not, she gave me a reference code to provide if I needed to call back in and she said they'd simply reset/ refresh the transponder link & it would self-correct in real-time.

The module has it's own Molex / wiring harness pigtail that terminates with just 2 wires factory crimped with spade-type plugs. There is NO indication on the extremely non-descript, matte black module (which is about as big as a pack of Trident chewing gum) where it is to be connected. The only indication is that it definitely has a RIGHT SIDE UP because it is clearly stamped into the housing "THIS SIDE DOWN!" There aren't any obvious marks that indicate where it might have been clipped or even zip tied inside the other car. I'm of the opinion that there must be a connector for the Skylink module to interface with the SYNC equipped head unit or with the GPS / multi-spectrum antenna that's built into the the rear roofline on the new S550 design.

It can't be all that tough given it's clearly just a +12VDC & ground to power the device, but I'd prefer not to hack the fuse assembly or the wiring harness in the dash or elsewhere just to power it up. If anyone here can provide me the solution to where the heck Skylink installs their GPS tracking & geofencing module, I'd be most grateful!

Thanks in advance.
This is their website just for reference, not that it helps much: https://www.mysky-link.com/FeaturesBennefits/FeatBenSubPages/GPSCellularTech/GPSCellularTech.html
Sponsored

Chappers

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Supra MkV - Tungsten Silver
What colour are the wires? I would imagine it would connect to the canbus to get that info

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
There was a thread on here sometime ago where the owner found a device wired into his car and was unaware the dealer had installed a GPS tracker. It was wired into the lower right passenger side kick panel.
Sponsored