Sponsored

Car and Driver 2020 GT500 First Test - 11.4 @ 132 quarter mile

DavidHuff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 5.0
I mean, there were plenty of people running faster than 11.3s in Vegas. The DA was over 4k' that day and there was a headwind.

Are most tracks over 4k' for DA?

Wasn't that a positive DA he ran in? What about those -1500' DAs in the NE, do we call those "extra" mineshaft?

When Evan ran the 10.61 the DA was 975, FWIW.

This is every bit a 10 second car in normal DAs.
When Speedphenoum made his recond runs the DA was around 600 and temp was around 50 degrees.
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
17 inch wheels may not fit over the enormous brakes on this thing. Im thinking 18 will be the smallest wheel to fit.
Keep reading my post...

Mustang Tony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT 10R80 PP1 401A Magneride
Stangmode will run a 10.3 - 10.5 guaranteed at Atco. Just wait till he gets his. Dude has skills.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Didn't Stangmode manage a 3.3 0-60 on a random road outside of Vegas during the Ford event after a just a few attempts? These Car and Driver guys probably don't know how to drive. lol!
Yes, he did. It was probably warmer, even though the DA was very high, allowing for a little bit of traction.

Sponsored

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Car and Driver did test a C8/Z51 at 11.2 @ 122mph. It's surprising to me that the C8 is faster in the 1/4 mile. 0-60, yes, but I would expect a GT500 to by a sub 11 second car. It must have something to do with their test procedures/surface.
It’s called “sandbagging” and unfortunately only lobbying with cash fixes the problem. Ford just doesn’t seem interested in that game.
Shameful that a reputed car mag gets the worst possible time regardless of road surface.

they have access to proper setup. They just don’t care where things land with the 500.

basically nothing to be learned from their “testing.”

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Got to agree here. It's no coincidence that the 10.6X ET noted for a GT500 was in Texas.
Cold asphalt not only kills traction with summer performance tires, it kills traction with just about any tire. I remember a February trip to the track last year or the year before and I was watching full on race cars running slicks, going for one or two passes - then loading right back up on the trailer and going home. It was simply too cold to get any kind of traction - even on a prepped surface. I witnessed a guy with a full on race car tell his wife - when she asked why he was loading up already - "The car got loose at half track. Good air ain't worth much when you can't find traction."

It's also fair to talk about the fact that Car and Driver admitted that they performed their acceleration tests - including 1/4 mile ET on a normal concrete surface -so no normal track prep like you'd get at the drag strip.
there another 10.6x in Florida.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Those times were run in perfect weather conditions on a private track rental
and? ALL great runs are with great weather. And a private track is... a track.

And some YouTubed just did it himself in Texas. It’s a thing. Not some mythical one timer.

10.30ET on stock tires is a lot to ask for summer weather (when most tracks.are open) and average track prep.I would think 11.30ET will be the norm for most 2020 ShelbyGt500 owners at their local tracks.
interesting. Maybe in the hottest heat of the summer. Otherwise, I see mid to high tens on average as people get used to the cars. I also see a surprising number of people getting 10.6 and somewhat lower out of the car in conducive weather. The car seems to be very easy to repeat success with.

Sponsored

Heathv

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Heath
Vehicle(s)
1989 mustang gt
17 inch wheels may not fit over the enormous brakes on this thing. Im thinking 18 will be the smallest wheel to fit.
They had to go with 20 inch wheels to fit over the brakes on the front I believe they're 16 1/2 diameter plus caliper

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
It has already done 10.61 at 133mph in the quarter.
But that's at a prepped drag strip.
Mid 11's on a real world surface is pretty good in my opinion.

My hate meter is starting to go the other way with this car.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Don't worry... ill put plenty of drivers in mine for us

20191210_211548.jpg
Ha! That’s awesome. You going to run it that soon after delivery? Not going to just enjoy the new supercar smell and drive slowly by high schools and sonic drive throughs just to hear the bone clacking sound of jaws hitting the floor?

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
But that's at a prepped drag strip.
Mid 11's on a real world surface is pretty good in my opinion.

My hate meter is starting to go the other way with this car.
idk. Stangmode proved the car is ridiculously fast in a normal street.

but when comparing great times, they are ALL on prepped surfaces. At least the gt500 is doing it without ford engineers taking all day and trying every trick in the book to get good times... unlike a certain bow tie company.

car and driver tests using Chrysler’s 1.6 mile drag strip.

they rent drag strips for private testing elsewhere.

If they cared to get into the 10’s at all whatsoever, you’d be seeing 10s in their testing.

they sandbagged pure and simple.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
:giggle:Yall getting worked up over a magazine time? The owners will set the times. For these cars. Leave the magazines where they belong. Next to the :ontheloo:
Sponsored