Sponsored

2020 GT350R Track Prep Questions

Trj3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R
Ok so looking for suggestions here. I plan on running SRF for fluid. I can figure out the tires.

1. First of all has anyone tried the factory adjustable camber plates that ford included with my car. They are not installed yet but looking for feedback from track guys. My last car had Vorshlag.
2. Wheels - second set - 18s square?
3. Brake pads - I had Gloc before and those seemed to work well
4. Sorce for front and rear wheel studs?
5. Back up sets of rear hubs?
6. Which jacking rails are best?
7. Is a passenger side catch can needed and if so FRP or other?
8. Roll bar - Watson?
9. Seats - does anyone know the weight of the stock seats and if your using 4 point harnesses are those decent compared to a 6 point set up.
10. Plan on doing Xpel or the like
11. Tow hooks - FRP?
Anything else Ive missed?

Thanks. Just trying not to reinvent the wheel here. I figure these cars have been out long enough that you guys have it sorted out by now.
Sponsored

Last edited:

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
The GT350R doesn't need anything to run hard on track. Quickfit pro harness is a good idea unless you do harness bar.

18" wheels won't fit. What are you looking for, a list of things to get or what's needed to drive long sessions?

OP
OP
Trj3

Trj3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R
The GT350R doesn't need anything to run hard on track. Quickfit pro harness is a good idea unless you do harness bar.

18" wheels won't fit. What are you looking for, a list of things to get or what's needed to drive long sessions?
Both. I plan on keeping the car street drivable but want to set it up well for trackdays.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Both. I plan on keeping the car street drivable but want to set it up well for trackdays.
Get the quickfit pro and have fun. I'd probably get some camber plates and run around -2.5 up front.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
ZL1Addons makes nice removable tow hooks. Tow hooks are functional so FRP will be fine (harder to install maybe)

FRP passenger side catch can is a nicely engineered part. I’d def get one.

OPMustang.com will sell you wheel studs and GLOC pads.

I like Apex SM-10 wheels for track. 19s are fine. Actually with an R I’d probably run the aftermarket wheels daily and track the carbon parts.

Sponsored

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Stock seats are ~45 lbs. So you can definitely save some weight with aftermarket seats if you are willing to lose the side airbags.

ddozier

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trackcarbuilds.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Ok so looking for suggestions here. I plan on running SRF for fluid. I can figure out the tires.

1. First of all has anyone tried the factory adjustable camber plates that ford included with my car. They are not installed yet but looking for feedback from track guys. My last car had Vorshlag.
2. Wheels - second set - 18s square?
3. Brake pads - I had Gloc before and those seemed to work well
4. Sorce for front and rear wheel studs?
5. Back up sets of rear hubs?
6. Which jacking rails are best?
7. Is a passenger side catch can needed and if so FRP or other?
8. Roll bar - Watson?
9. Seats - does anyone know the weight of the stock seats and if your using 4 point harnesses are those decent compared to a 6 point set up.
10. Plan on doing Xpel or the like
11. Tow hooks - FRP?
Anything else Ive missed?

Thanks. Just trying not to reinvent the wheel here. I figure these cars have been out long enough that you guys have it sorted out by now.
1. You will need some kind of camber plate to run more than -2.0 front camber and that will come down to tire choice
2. You will need 19" setup but you can fit 315/680/19 square in a full race slick if you would like, a 305/680/19 fits best with less chance of rubbing if your offsets are not perfect, Apex SM-10 in 19 x 11 are a good choice. I would not track on the Carbon Wheels unless you have a backup plan and a wallet to support a replacement if damaged.
3. Gloc, Carbotech are good options and are easy on the OEM rotors. Stock pads are fairly good until you really start pushing hard. Some don't like the feel of the stock pad on track as they are a bit on/off in feel.
4. ARP makes the correct wheel studs in OEM +1" and OEM +.5" - Part Numbers 100-7733 & 100-7732 1" for the front and 1/2" for the rear.
5. The hubs are fairly reliable on the GT350, Front hubs are much better then the ones on the GT, if you get a spare hub get extra wheel studs done on the spare, (4) hub bolts, and (1) axle shaft nut so you can do a track side repair if needed
6. Any of them are fine, BMR or Steeda
7. Passenger side if the important one, the passenger side is the vacuum side of the PCV and dumps into the intake after the throttle body. FP is a pain to empty, others with a screw off canister are easier to empty.
8. Watson bolt in bar is the best fit, get their rear seat delete and put the OEM unit on the shelf for when you remove the bar down the road to sell the car.
9. Stock seats and harnesses are hard to implement because of the sub belt, if you go aftermarket on the seats you have tons of choices and they are lighter. Seats, Harnesses, Harness bar are a sticky subject from a safety point of view.
10. If you like your paint protect it.
11. Tow hooks are a must, all are a pain to install but the ZL1Addon unit does not require the cutting of the grill or bumper in the front and only a 1" hole behind the licence plate on the rear. You will want to remove both bumpers as it is a lot easier to do with them off.

12. DO NOT CHANGE the factory exhaust, Ford has a bunch of mass dampeners that are there to reduce vibration on the exhaust system removing them or changing the exhaust will cause reliability issues in the long run. Check your oil filter every track day to make sure it has not vibrated loose, check the oil lines to the cooler before and after each event, the early cars had vibration issues and the design was changed slightly to reduce possible failure of the lines. Keep it in the back of your mind that the engine oil cooler is in the lower portion of your bumper and hangs outside of the crash reinforcement on the front end, It is literally hanging in the wind in front of the drivers side front tire with only plastic to protect it from the front and bottom. If you have a bad off it can be damaged easily resulting in an instant loss of oil pressure. If you go off watch the oil pressure gauge and be ready to shut the car down. If you have an impact in the front shut the car off ASAP as you will likely have an oil leak either with the engine or trans depending on the impact. This can save you from having an expensive engine repair.

Other than that you have a track machine ready for a lot of fun. Congrats on your purchase.

Dave

OP
OP
Trj3

Trj3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R
Excellent thank you very much! I had done FRP hooks, JLT AOS, Signature wheels and Vorshlag camber plates on my 16 r. I would like to take this one a little further. I find it hard to believe that ford makes a "track ready street car" and does not provide tow hooks??? How hard would it be to have at least the screw in access type?

ddozier

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trackcarbuilds.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Ford makes a Euro spec front bumper cover for the Mustang GT and a different front crash bar for that market as well that has an eyelet for a screw in tow hook, I have not tried to order it but it is in the Ford parts catalog. Since the GT350 never made it to Europe I do not think they ever made the GT350 front bumper cover with the eyelet cover. It is an expensive way to add a tow hook to a car but if you wanted OEM parts it can be done for a GT anyway.

2015-2017 Front bumper cover w/tow hook
FR3Z-17D957-DPTM Bumper cover
GR3Z-17E811-AA Tow Eye Cap
JR3Z-17757-A Crash bar w/Tow Hook

Dave
Sponsored