Sponsored

Aftermarket shifter. Body mount or trans mount?!?!

Johnnyracer222

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP 6 speed
I will be upgrading the stock shifter. It's the start of winter, I've got time to consider different brands.

New to the S550, my instinct said to just get a STEEDA shifter, as my FOX was fully equipped with STEEDA parts.

Now, learning about body mount/trans mounted shifters...

I am aware of increased NVH with a transmission mounted shifter, but is it terrible? Too much? Is it ok during cruising? Under throttle I'm sure theres movement, but my question is 'how much movement' do you get from a transmission mounted shifter?

Now, MGW? What other brands of shifter should I be looking at and learning about?

Thank you all :)
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
MGW or Barton, trans mount. Only moves a few mm under load and it's not noticeable when driving. The vast improvement in shifting over body mounted is there though.

End thread.

OP
OP
Johnnyracer222

Johnnyracer222

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Vehicle(s)
Thanks. I think I just wanted to be assured I wouldn't hate it transmission mounted...

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks. I think I just wanted to be assured I wouldn't hate it transmission mounted...
I have over 40k miles with the MGW. No regrets at all. It's very DD friendly and when it's time to drive hard, it is exactly what you want. You will have to get used to significantly higher force centering springs, but they're also what makes it magic, especially the 2-3 shift.

Tuxedomouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Grabber Blue Premium PP
I have the Blowfish racing mount that attaches the factory shifter to the trans. Excellent feel, no lockout, easy install (if you have access to a lift). Love it.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I have the Blowfish racing mount that attaches the factory shifter to the trans. Excellent feel, no lockout, easy install (if you have access to a lift). Love it.
Another good option, particularly after they added a little bit of damping to prevent reverse collar rattle.

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
I will be upgrading the stock shifter. It's the start of winter, I've got time to consider different brands.

New to the S550, my instinct said to just get a STEEDA shifter, as my FOX was fully equipped with STEEDA parts.

Now, learning about body mount/trans mounted shifters...

I am aware of increased NVH with a transmission mounted shifter, but is it terrible? Too much? Is it ok during cruising? Under throttle I'm sure theres movement, but my question is 'how much movement' do you get from a transmission mounted shifter?

Now, MGW? What other brands of shifter should I be looking at and learning about?

Thank you all :)
Cars have been transmounted for the past what 200 years the manual gearbox has existed? This bodymount douchebagery is a relatively new trend...

Personally trans is the way man. And yes shifter walk is supposed to happen and what you want... Fuck "NVH" everyone's obsessing over that... Its an MT82 you have NVH stock...

To me its like complaining that the guy about to kill you got dirt on the carpet... Kind of inconsequential in the grand scheme of things

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
MGW to me is the better designed shifter, because of how compact it is, the fact that you only have to bolt on 3 parts to install it, I like where they mount it as well and their system for adjusting the reverse lockout is simple and clean.

I have the Barton because I was not going to go with a push down reverse. The barton is a very heavy duty well built unit as well. I'd actually go as far as to say it's overbuilt. They could have machined the body thinner and dropped a few pounds out of it. But yes it's a very solid piece of kit.

I havent installed it yet but i can already tell its a great shifter

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
You could also do what I did, install the ford racing short throw kit for the factory shifter and the blowfish mount. It's the best of both worlds, the reliability, functionality and looks of the stock shifter only better because it's now a short throw, and the trans mount from the blowfish kit.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible
Cars have been transmounted for the past what 200 years the manual gearbox has existed? This bodymount douchebagery is a relatively new trend...

Personally trans is the way man. And yes shifter walk is supposed to happen and what you want... Fuck "NVH" everyone's obsessing over that... Its an MT82 you have NVH stock...

To me its like complaining that the guy about to kill you got dirt on the carpet... Kind of inconsequential in the grand scheme of things
Looks like I'm following you around today.

Well said. I thought GM screwed the pooch when they put the shifter on the frame cross member on 1966 Corvettes.

Did an MGW on the yellow beast and it was perfect. The trans twists with the motor torque. There is no other place to mount a shifter than on the trans that will guarantee good shifts under load. None.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Body mount here, butter smooth, zero nvh. Barton hybrid 3.

OP
OP
Johnnyracer222

Johnnyracer222

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Vehicle(s)
Ok, so if I choose a Barton

Flat stick or pull up reverse lockout?

BluePonyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT Premium 6MT
Entirely up to you and how you want to deal with reverse, but I'm ok with the lock-out. If anyone switched to the flat stick and have some positive feedback I'd love to hear it as well. I also like the design and fitment options fo the Barton, so I'm going with that.

Also on a side note after watching all of these installation videos I'm going to commit to dropping the transmission and replacing/upgrading the clutch at the same time. Just haven't settled on what clutch to get.

OP
OP
Johnnyracer222

Johnnyracer222

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Vehicle(s)
Love Grabber Blue. It was the only other color I considered before I bought this black one. It only has 19k miles, so I'm leaving it stock aside from the shifter, for now.
Sponsored