Sponsored

So, my step-son wants to buy a Mustang.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
LOL...I've gotten several trade-in offers for my GTPP with 1/3rd the miles and they are all around 21-22k.

What a friggin' ripoff these dealers are. That's a terrible deal. Buy private and save thousands.
Sponsored

BLUE DEVIL

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Prem - Perf Pack
If he's under 25 1st give him a razor blade to chew on. If he can do that without hurting himself, let him get a Mustang GT/Musclecar. But, remember that with the car he can hurt somebody else as well.

kent0464

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kent
Vehicle(s)
1983 Ford Ranger, 1986 SVO Mustang, 2017 Mustang GT PP, 2017 F150 3.5 Eco
Vehicle Showcase
He’s got a 2017 GT base model manual six speed in Magnetic picked out. Dealer asking $21,500, and it has almost 60 k miles with one owner.

Do you guys think this is a good deal? He really wants a Mustang. I guess because he loves mine.

Hell! Buy mine, it’s a 2017 PP, MT82, MGW short shifter, JLT hood supports, FMS Radiator cover, side and rear window louvers, Borla Black tip exhaust, Airaid CAI, JLT pass side catch can, dealer maintained (Wynne Ford) 2352 miles....no you are not seeing things, it only gets driven on the weekends....$27k located in Va.

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0
Hell! Buy mine, it’s a 2017 PP, MT82, MGW short shifter, JLT hood supports, FMS Radiator cover, side and rear window louvers, Borla Black tip exhaust, Airaid CAI, JLT pass side catch can, dealer maintained (Wynne Ford) 2352 miles....no you are not seeing things, it only gets driven on the weekends....$27k located in Va.
Hell, my first road trip was farther than that!.

Here are 2 new EB for $24K in Birmingham: https://www.adamsonford.com/searchnew.aspx?Type=N&Make=Ford&Model=Mustang&pt=2

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
If you do get him it spend the extra money on some track days.
this in spades. Spot him the track time and driving education, but make him buy the car and insurance coverage with his own money.
The first car (or bike) is a *learning* platform, not a "dream" vehicle.

That price seems horrible to me. I looked at several 2017 v6 (sure, not a GT) were under 15k with 3000 miles (or less) on them. The Mustang is not a light car by any stretch and a poor teacher of respect till it's much too late.

There are oodles of Mazda3, Altimas, Civics, Camry and so forth that come in 'sporty' LOOKING trim and have MT.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
2352 miles....no you are not seeing things, it only gets driven on the weekends..
geepers man, you live in VA. You can't NOT find a nice curvy 2-lane even if you tried.

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Meh.

60k miles is nothing here in Texas. We drive a lot because the state is huge.

Miles only tell you how far a car has been. They don't tell you anything about how it has been maintained.

At 60k a modern motor is just broken in. Plus, do you really want to spend top dollar for a low miles example that's probably going to be door-dinged and wrapped around a pole a week later? Nah.

Sponsored
OP
OP
RacinJason

RacinJason

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang base GT w/PP
Thanks for all the comments guys. I can't recall everyone's individual questions, but I'll try to give as much detail as possible. First off he will be 21 in a couple of weeks. He is financially responsible and has a great job making great money for his age. Hell, for anyone's age around here. He priced insurance, cause i told him check that first before we go see the car. Over $400 a month is what his current company quoted him, and that made him pump the brakes. I told him to shop around. Anyway, I had a '69 with a 302 when i was in highschool, and I never lost a race. I understand youth shouldn't be trusted with power, but I'm sure he will do fine. His dad builds racecars (mainly Foxbodies), and all three of us have tools, shop, and experience. I just don't want the clutch to let go with that many mile not knowing how it was driven. There is an ecoboost premium same year and less miles for the same amount, but he is set on the GT. I don't blame him. 60k seems way high to me when i have a 17 daily driven with 12.5k on it!!! Anyway, if he gets insurance sorted out then maybe we will go check it out. The next best GT around here is $32k, and that's out of his price range. The one he is looking at looks to be clean and in good shape. It even has the peel plastic thing still on the 5.0 part of the engine cover!!! That could be a good sign, but still blows my mind.

evildronepilot

Freakobooster
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 Race Red
Thanks for all the comments guys. I can't recall everyone's individual questions, but I'll try to give as much detail as possible. First off he will be 21 in a couple of weeks. He is financially responsible and has a great job making great money for his age. Hell, for anyone's age around here. He priced insurance, cause i told him check that first before we go see the car. Over $400 a month is what his current company quoted him, and that made him pump the brakes. I told him to shop around. Anyway, I had a '69 with a 302 when i was in highschool, and I never lost a race. I understand youth shouldn't be trusted with power, but I'm sure he will do fine. His dad builds racecars (mainly Foxbodies), and all three of us have tools, shop, and experience. I just don't want the clutch to let go with that many mile not knowing how it was driven. There is an ecoboost premium same year and less miles for the same amount, but he is set on the GT. I don't blame him. 60k seems way high to me when i have a 17 daily driven with 12.5k on it!!! Anyway, if he gets insurance sorted out then maybe we will go check it out. The next best GT around here is $32k, and that's out of his price range. The one he is looking at looks to be clean and in good shape. It even has the peel plastic thing still on the 5.0 part of the engine cover!!! That could be a good sign, but still blows my mind.
Yeah, no. His insurance is high because he's a male under 25, and I'm guessing just got his license or has little to no driving experience? Mine was high as well since I didn't start driving till I was 22; never had a car in high school and didn't have time / need till I was done with my first sea duty. It didn't drop until I turned 25, and dropped again once I had 5 years on the records. Look, I know you think he's responsible and all, but a RWD, 425+ HP car will NOT be a good learning experience. Get an EcoBoost, keep his ego in check, and call it a day. Or, to show him how much you care, add him to your insurance :D. I'm also betting that 60K car was maybe a previous rental?

13razorbackfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Sell him yours, slightly lower rate than the banks, then go buy you a 2019. Right now Ford is being fairly lenient. Even though I gross a high income I have 3 open Auto loans and still got 0% for 72 and zero down on a 2019. Win/win

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
He is financially responsible
Maybe, but spending $21K on a 3 year old car with 5 years of mileage on it, AND, spending $4800 a year on insurance doesn't seem overly responsible.

60k seems way high to me
It is, especially if you do not have a history on it.

The next best GT around here is $32k, and that's out of his price range.
Keep searching, you can do better, much better.

It even has the peel plastic thing still on the 5.0 part of the engine cover!!!
Yep, that's the first thing i look for on a used car. :)

OP
OP
RacinJason

RacinJason

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang base GT w/PP
Don't tempt me. LOL Besides, I love my car!! I'm not selling mine for him to wreck it. And just to be clear, this is all on him and his money. He has a suburban that he is willing to trade in. He still hasn't checked on insurance. Didn't have time cause of work.
Sponsored