Sponsored

Disengage air bags for HPDE

PoppinJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
If the seat belt isnt buckled some systems will deploy more rapidly because the car thinks the passenger is unrestrained. It's doing what it can to quickly put a pillow in front of your body.
Sponsored

ddozier

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trackcarbuilds.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
a certain member on here can comment if he'd like to, but he had race seats installed with the airbag light on when his car rolled at an event - all airbags still deployed from what i understand.
That sounds like a bad day for sure, but on all modern cars each airbag is tied to a single sensor or group of sensors and the Passenger Restraint Module can decide to deploy any bag or all bags based on the sensor inputs. The only way to prevent a deployment is to disconnect each bag and belt or to remove power to the PRM itself. Because a single bag in not functional does not stop the system from functioning. If you remove all the bags but one that bag will still deploy if the sensor inputs to the PRM warrant it. I have not tried to remove all the sensors on the car, there are a lot of them, to limit the chances of a deployment but my understanding is the roll over sensor is built into the PRM itself so I would have to guess that it can not be disabled. On the Fords once an event happens and the PRM decides to deploy it logs all sensor data and throws a flag to the other modules in the car to save any data in short term memory. The module will be locked and will not auto-reset after an event, you can replace all the bags and send in the belts and PRM to several different company's that specialize in the rebuild of the belts and reset of the module.

Dave