Sponsored

Unexpected Burnout

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I used to have a new edge... Yeah those cars were batshit crazy in the rain... These young S550 owners won't understand the struggle lol
Dude, talk about hairy. I had a new edge GT. Didn’t have that fancy traction control button either. I used to run 315/35/17 Sumitomo’s on the rear.. those were like greased bat shit when they were dry, much less when it was wet AND I had a 4:10 gear. Every day driving that car was a lesson in staying alive hahahaha.
Sponsored

torqued

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Still new to this car I guess, driving later at night a couple of weeks ago, road is wet and showing 47 degrees out, not thinking about the PP1 summer-only tires not exactly being in their element, did my usual drop to 3rd at freeway speeds for that ferocious burst of passing power I've come to love so much, back end gets downright squirrely. Just eased off the throttle and everything was fine, but definitely gotta remember to go to 4th in non-ideal conditions!

Hoping this car's okay in a rainstorm. Got caught in a particularly gnarly one with my '01 that had those old Goodyear Gatorback summer-only tires from back in the day. Wheels weren't that wide, 8 inches, but they were hydroplaning like crazy that night, the best I could do was really concentrate and keep the weaving to within my own lane.

302@12psi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona PP2 Recaros
You must have an 18+ my car has the super close gear ratios with the 3.73 so it loves spinning and hanging it's tail out.
2019 PP2. So it has 3.73's, a manual, and 305's out back. It's very planted between the TC, TM, high revving motor, tires, etc it keeps the car straight.

OP
OP
3star2nr

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
Still new to this car I guess, driving later at night a couple of weeks ago, road is wet and showing 47 degrees out, not thinking about the PP1 summer-only tires not exactly being in their element, did my usual drop to 3rd at freeway speeds for that ferocious burst of passing power I've come to love so much, back end gets downright squirrely. Just eased off the throttle and everything was fine, but definitely gotta remember to go to 4th in non-ideal conditions!

Hoping this car's okay in a rainstorm. Got caught in a particularly gnarly one with my '01 that had those old Goodyear Gatorback summer-only tires from back in the day. Wheels weren't that wide, 8 inches, but they were hydroplaning like crazy that night, the best I could do was really concentrate and keep the weaving to within my own lane.
Yeah youll be fine especially comingvfrom an 01 these cars are laughable how tame they are. And the traction control system is legit the best system ive ever seen.

It's more like a driving coach at a track day than a police officer watching your every move trying to kill all the fun...

Even in the worst weather I never worry in my s550. The only thing that scares me is driving at night in a really bad storm...

In addition to not being able to see the idiots on the road tail gating and smashing their brakes fills me with more terror than anything this car could ever do...

OP
OP
3star2nr

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
2019 PP2. So it has 3.73's, a manual, and 305's out back. It's very planted between the TC, TM, high revving motor, tires, etc it keeps the car straight.
yeah ford changed the gear ratios on your car, that's Why.

Mine are really short

Sponsored

OP
OP
3star2nr

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
Dude, talk about hairy. I had a new edge GT. Didn’t have that fancy traction control button either. I used to run 315/35/17 Sumitomo’s on the rear.. those were like greased bat shit when they were dry, much less when it was wet AND I had a 4:10 gear. Every day driving that car was a lesson in staying alive hahahaha.
I had 295/35 19s nitto nt55rs on mine
Mistakes were made... Mistakes were made.

frank s

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fsheff.com
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
Stang '19 Magnetic, EcoBoost™, Vert, MagneRide® PP
Vehicle Showcase
... Sometimes ya just gotta go in the rain :frown:
I don't want to hear that.

Six Mustangs (plus a 1955 Austin-Healey 100 and a 1979 Triumph TR7) with a total of no more than ten minutes in the rain, all in the mountains on the final leg of a road trip.

So Cal and a second car; you can't beat it.

FirstGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ingot Silver '18 GT 400a PP1
yeah ford changed the gear ratios on your car, that's Why.

Mine are really short
Coming from a 15, albeit with 3.55, to my 18 pp1 I was really looking forward to all the hoopla people made over how short the 3.73 is. All this talk about how first gear is useless etc etc

Man was i let down. Like you say, with the new gear ratios it's less than desirable. I'd rather 3.55 with old gear ratio over the 3.73 with new gear ratio. Though ideally i think i want what you have, the old 3.73 ratio

David Schmidt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 PP1 401A
My MY18 PP1 is a commuter car, so I hardly ever use 5th or 6th gear. There's no road I can go 100 MPH on my way to work on. First or second, with my summer tires in 40 degree weather... I get to waggle her ass any time I want on my way to work and still stay under the speed limit.

OP
OP
3star2nr

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
Coming from a 15, albeit with 3.55, to my 18 pp1 I was really looking forward to all the hoopla people made over how short the 3.73 is. All this talk about how first gear is useless etc etc

Man was i let down. Like you say, with the new gear ratios it's less than desirable. I'd rather 3.55 with old gear ratio over the 3.73 with new gear ratio. Though ideally i think i want what you have, the old 3.73 ratio
There really isnt much difference between 3.55 and 3.73 alot of owners are overly dramatic or going from 3.15 to 3.73

If you're staying all motor the 15-17 PP mt82 is awesome.

I think with the 18+ ford was listenong to owners comments and tried to "fix it" but i think that setup is better for making big power.

I Will say this I think interms of shifting the new mt82 is way better than the old one interms of feel

Last edited:

Sponsored

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
I love driving the s550 in the rain. Took my son out last night to get some food for dinner and got far enough away from traffic to put her sideways twice. Laughing the whole time while she shaked and rattled as I brought her back around. The control on these cars is phenomenal.

FirstGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ingot Silver '18 GT 400a PP1
There really isnt much difference between 3.55 and 3.73 alot of owners are overly dramatic or going from 3.15 to 3.73

If you're staying all motor the 15-17 PP mt82 is awesome.

I think with the 18+ ford was listenong to owners comments and tried to "fix it" but i think that setup is better for making big power.

I Will say this I think interms of shifting the new mt82 is way better than the old one interms of feel
Yes I agree with the shifting, it definitely feels better IMO

With the new gearing and the 3.73s it shifts closer to how my Harley does. Or at least my shifting habits are closer to it. I hold first gear a lot longer than I ever did with my 15.

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 premium mustang gt black accent package
I’ve surprisingly never had an issue with traction in the rain. I have an auto with 3.55 so the gear ratios are really aggressive but flooring it from a stop the car will just spin for a bit and go but never get at all sideways. It really drives the same way in the rain as it does on a dry day, I’ve always been traction limited even with 255 tires so I’m used to spinning for half a second before going though.

Now the one situations in these cars that does scare me is driving when it’s cold out. Anything under 60 degrees and the car will spin for days. Just the other day it was 40 degrees and the road was empty so I started testing out what speeds the car would spin at it and it turns it out that at 40 mph flooring the car it’ll spin like crazy. I have pirellis though maybe Michelin tires are more controlled.

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
There are definitely some pros and cons to the D4, but hitting the trap in 3rd and not having to use 6th on the highway are both pros.

JGonvardi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP CO
Sounds like you need new tires.
Sponsored