Convertible vs Coupe performance

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
Here is a very factorial article from CJ Pony. They did an excellent job of comparing coupes and verts.

You can then compare the weights and decide for yourself. As for me, i made a conscious decision I wanted a vert!!

• Looks: Some would argue that the coupe or fastback looks better with a sloped roofline versus a convertible. This is strictly opinion, however.
  • Weight Savings: The convertible top itself and the motors and mechanisms that power it add additional weight to the vehicle. For example, a base S550 GT Manual Fastback is 3,705 pounds whereas its convertible counterpart is 3,891 pounds. It may not sound like much of a difference, but a general rule of thumb is that dropping 100 pounds is good for a tenth in the quarter mile.
  • Building a Race Car?: If you’re looking to build a road course, autocross, or drag car, all of them have limitations against convertibles such as roll bars and additional rollover prevention modifications. A coupe or fastback will definitely save you a bit of money in getting your car ready for the races.
  • Safety: Adding to the previous point, rollover safety is definitely hindered when it comes to convertible cars. Obviously, if convertibles weren’t safe, then automakers wouldn’t be able to manufacture or sell them. The fact of the matter is that convertibles aren’t as safe as coupes/fastbacks when it comes to rollover situations.
CVCashmere
Sponsored