Motor trend track test

OP
OP

nametoshowothers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
description of cars
Interesting. I just watched the embedded video from the article and noticed Jesse Cox at the :28 and :30 second mark.

z Jesse Cox.JPG

Jesse is as low key as they come. A truly cool cat that works for Roush as well as for Dean Martin at races across the country. Jesse was embedded with the GT500 development team for quite some time and was pretty much everywhere the car was being tested to the limits, working on the car. I can't think of a guy with more GT4 Mustang and GT500 mechanical experience than him. So somebody paid Roush to prep and maintain the cars for this Motor Trend test day. And it looks as though they were smart enough to have the best staff you could have on the support end.

I cannot wait to thrash this beast.

zz 2020 (2)-2.jpg
Car is too light! it Floats
Sponsored

newmoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Cobra, 10 SS, 12 392, 12 5.0
Really fallen in love with the base wing, that gurney flap looks cool af.
If you're in a base car and worried it won't be as fast on the track, just get more seat time, buy some forgelines and slicks. Forgeline can make smaller diameter wheels that fit the large brakes. Can go down to 19s all around.

Plenty of mods you can do on this car to get weight down and get track performance to surpass the CFTP GT500 without spending +94k.
Exactly while others disagree I think that swapping to Cup 2s with a Base will make significant improvement, it has with the GT350. With the power this 500 has the Cup 2s are even more important. Save yourself the 20k+, spend 1.7k and have 95% of the CF.

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Auto Ruby Red
Exactly while others disagree I think that swapping to Cup 2s with a Base will make significant improvement, it has with the GT350. With the power this 500 has the Cup 2s are even more important. Save yourself the 20k+, spend 1.7k and have 95% of the CF.
It won’t be 95% or anything close.
Might be around 50% though.

SCCA Racer #75

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 on order, 2019 GT3RS, 2002 C5 Z06
I actually am in agreement with newmoon... albeit maybe 80 to 90% is more realistic, if you did two things... not only the 'tires'... but also spend $4,000 on lightweight wheels. If you do those two things... you'll get within the 'drivers difference' between the two versions. Tires and wheels make up a lot of what a car does when it comes to going left and right.

Would be nice to see a test where they did the CFTP car... and the base car with the CFTP wheel/tire.

Best regards,
Dave

Sponsored

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Auto Ruby Red
I actually am in agreement with newmoon... albeit maybe 80 to 90% is more realistic, if you did two things... not only the 'tires'... but also spend $4,000 on lightweight wheels. If you do those two things... you'll get within the 'drivers difference' between the two versions. Tires and wheels make up a lot of what a car does when it comes to going left and right.

Would be nice to see a test where they did the CFTP car... and the base car with the CFTP wheel/tire.

Best regards,
Dave
If you throw better wheels on then yes, that will help even more.
Just remember even with the same tires, the CFTP car has a 90 pound weight advantage over the base car (if the base car retains its stock wheels) plus the different spring rates, GT4 wing and the advantage of carbon fiber wheels.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro

Best regards,
Dave
So you think that the lower suspension with stiffer springs, different Magneride tuning and different ABS tuning (ABS set up specifically for the Cup 2 tires) will have little impact?

And aero won't matter?

Think the suspension will make a pretty big difference on most tracks and especially at higher speeds the suspension and aero will help a lot. Since you are an SCCA racer you probably know a lot more than me about how difficult it can be to control a car on high speed corners and how rough the road can start to seem in those conditions.

newmoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Cobra, 10 SS, 12 392, 12 5.0

Best regards,
Dave
Think of it this way. Ford realized that the 526 hp 350 needed Cup2 tires, why wouldn't the 760 hp 500 need the same?

JT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Tires will be 70% or better, high quality forged wheels will get you another 15-20%, they won’t have the stiffness so even if you added the aero springs and dampers you’d get maybe to 95-98%.

SCCA Racer #75

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 on order, 2019 GT3RS, 2002 C5 Z06
If you throw better wheels on then yes, that will help even more.
Just remember even with the same tires, the CFTP car has a 90 pound weight advantage over the base car (if the base car retains its stock wheels) plus the different spring rates, GT4 wing and the advantage of carbon fiber wheels.
AtLeast half of that weight advantage is the wheels, so you can probably get it to within 40 or 50lbs realistically.

So you think that the lower suspension with stiffer springs, different Magneride tuning and different ABS tuning (ABS set up specifically for the Cup 2 tires) will have little impact?

And aero won't matter?

Think the suspension will make a pretty big difference on most tracks and especially at higher speeds the suspension and aero will help a lot. Since you are an SCCA racer you probably know a lot more than me about how difficult it can be to control a car on high speed corners and how rough the road can start to seem in those conditions.
All those things matter, you’re spot on. Just that the single greatest mod you can do to a car turning left and right is add good wheels and tires.

I’d still want a CFTP car for my preference. Just that if I had a base model with the handling pkg, I’d put on lightweight wheels and tires to narrow the gap between the two cars.

Think of it this way. Ford realized that the 526 hp 350 needed Cup2 tires, why wouldn't the 760 hp 500 need the same?
Right.

Regardless, don’t take my post the wrong way, CFTP for the win! But if you have a non CFTP, you’ll be well within 80-90% of one at the track if you spend another $5k on wheels and tires for the track.

Best Regards,
Dave

Sponsored

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
If motor trend isn't going to give us #'s, who will and when?

Is that track website the equivalent of dragtimes vut for roadcourse? Anyone can submit a time with proof?

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
A minor change I noticed on the CFTP car. The nuts are different than what has been shown previously (nuts are in black on the left and the socket headed capscrew with the shiny finish is on the right). This may have been for this day only - don't know. But it is interesting to see that the hardware was changed. Note the AOA used on the car was the more "aggressive" of the two available settings and makes sense given the car's use on that day.

2020-Ford-Mustang-Shelby-GT500-19.jpg

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

And aero won't matter?

All incremental improvements on an already very well-tuned suspension and chassis. I can assure you that the majority of the pace difference between a CFTP and a base is tires.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
So what speed does the ZL1 1LE hit on the straight away?