Wireless Apple CarPlay

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
For those interested in wireless CarPlay here is some very interesting information posted by Motodad.

I just ordered this device over the weekend to get the mustang to support wireless carplay.

https://carplay2air.com

Simple concept. The black box has the Bluetooth/Wifi for the connection to the phone and converts the signal to what the Sync3 wants over the USB. I plan to put it in the center console where my current USB/Lightening cable is plugged in.
Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Let us know how it works

motodad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP Whipple Boosted; 2020 F350 PSD
Vehicle Showcase
I received confirmations and 'shipping label created' emails yesterday. Looks like it should ship today. Hope it is here by the weekend.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I actually may buy this as well, so really interested in your review. Only downfall is I use the usb under the radio for my stand alone iPod. its permanently connected.

my interest is in sound quality, please let us know the iPhone quality of music from wireless CarPlay vs wire CarPlay. if its 99% as good, or even 90% I will probably use ti a lot. but if its like 50% of wired, I will stick w wired.

motodad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Only downfall is I use the usb under the radio for my stand alone iPod. its permanently connected.
Then plug this adapter into the USB under the armrest in the center console. That is where I plan to put it. Out of sight, out of mind.

I did look this up on YouTube, quite a lot of positive feedback. But I saw 1 or 2 people say the connection rate was slow on their Fords. The company responded and said they were away of slow connections with Ford Sync3 but thought they found a solution that would be in their next firmware update, about a week out and that was 2 weeks ago.

Sponsored

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
What's the advantage? USB port is still being used, so not free, and the phone is not charging like it would be if it was plugged in.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
he's right, unfortunately for me, my iPod occupies slot 1 under radio, id rather have that then the dongle fore wireless CarPlay, and I use the arm rest for my phone to charge.

I wonder if the new mustangs will get wireless CarPlay, and if we can steal whatever they change to make ours, new headunit id imagine

horta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Convertible Manual Race Red
This is very cool. I can't wait to read how it works in a Mustang.

Multitask

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2020 MKZ Hybrid
I find it very odd, that ALL of the reviews are Exactly the same words!!! Meaning they are just copy n pasting the same review under a different name... I'd guess it's one person doing that on their website.

5pointOh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 Ingot Silver "Millennium Falcon" @falcon_s550
What's the advantage? USB port is still being used, so not free, and the phone is not charging like it would be if it was plugged in.
Ummm you can use a normal car charger in either one of the power points that the car has. Id put it in the center console and not worry about it but thats just me

Sponsored

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Ummm you can use a normal car charger in either one of the power points that the car has. Id put it in the center console and not worry about it but thats just me
Yeah, I get your point on plugging into the other port, but if you're going to plug it in anyway, why not into the CarPlay (center console) port?

Not knocking anybody who wants wireless, just see more loss (quality, charging) than gain (?).

motodad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I get your point on plugging into the other port, but if you're going to plug it in anyway, why not into the CarPlay (center console) port?

Not knocking anybody who wants wireless, just see more loss (quality, charging) than gain (?).
I am not following what you are saying. There is no 'Carplay port'. Carplay will work from either USB port (in center console arm rest or below the HVAC controls).

I have Pioneer wireless carplay (via aftermarket Pioneer stereos) in 2 other vehicles, my superduty and my kid's moto van. it is awesome to be able control Apple Music and Google Maps from the phone without taking it out of my pocket. Most of the time we are talking 30 minute drives or less so there is nearly no battery hit at all. Jump in check Google Maps for traffic situation to decide how I want to get somewhere and set my music stream. Obviously for longer road trips we plug in to charge. You do not realize how beneficial wireless carplay is until you start to use it.

Both the van and the truck have complete custom stereo and speaker setups. I do not hear any sound degradation between wireless and wired carplay. A bulk of wireless carplay data transmission happens over the private device to device WIFI network established between the phone and stereo. That WiFi is same as your house but as peer to peer so the bandwidth of the wifi is like your home, IE... more than enough to relay the audio signal with no degradation. I do not expect this dongle to be any different. Heck, you should be able to stream a 1080P movie with dolby surround sound wirelessly with NO performance degradation.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
My new hesdunit has Apple wireless carplay, I hear zero difference between wire and wireless carplay.

pretty amazing tbh. Blows my mind

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I am not following what you are saying. There is no 'Carplay port'. Carplay will work from either USB port (in center console arm rest or below the HVAC controls).

I have Pioneer wireless carplay (via aftermarket Pioneer stereos) in 2 other vehicles, my superduty and my kid's moto van. it is awesome to be able control Apple Music and Google Maps from the phone without taking it out of my pocket. Most of the time we are talking 30 minute drives or less so there is nearly no battery hit at all. Jump in check Google Maps for traffic situation to decide how I want to get somewhere and set my music stream. Obviously for longer road trips we plug in to charge. You do not realize how beneficial wireless carplay is until you start to use it.

Both the van and the truck have complete custom stereo and speaker setups. I do not hear any sound degradation between wireless and wired carplay. A bulk of wireless carplay data transmission happens over the private device to device WIFI network established between the phone and stereo. That WiFi is same as your house but as peer to peer so the bandwidth of the wifi is like your home, IE... more than enough to relay the audio signal with no degradation. I do not expect this dongle to be any different. Heck, you should be able to stream a 1080P movie with dolby surround sound wirelessly with NO performance degradation.
Sorry for not being clear. CarPlay does not function in the port below the HVAC controls, only the center console (can only speak for GT350). This is what I meant about CarPlay port. Granted, that port is not limited to the CarPlay function.

I don't mind taking my phone out of my pocket when I drive; in fact, I prefer to because it's more comfortable. Also, being in the car is a chance to put it on the charger. As for degradation, wireless is always degraded relative to wired (assuming you're using quality wires). But, again, to each his own.

eddison

CarPlay does not function in the port below the HVAC controls, only the center console (can only speak for GT350).
Works fine in either port on my 18 Eco. I can’t imagine it’s an option on an Eco and not the GT350, especially considering the wiring and USB hardware is the same.
Sponsored